It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did you name your kids the way you did ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Don't know why but Lyra screams to me for a girl.
Too much Phillip Pullman perhaps

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I have no children, so names have ever been an issue... I would however suggest to anyone having a baby in the future - please consider a middle name!

I grew up, not really hating my name, but never liking it. Sadly my parents only gave me one name, so there wasn't an alternative option for me... this however changed a few years ago when I changed my name (still kept the one given by my parents)... now I got 3 first names to choose from, one middle name, and two surnames.

That said, if I ever was to have a girl I would have named her Alya. I fell in love with the name Talia (Winters, of Babyln 5) as a teenager. Thought it was the most wonderful name ever... and then many years later found out that my OHs nephew named his daughter Talia! One of the reasons I liked the name so much was not having known anyone with that name... I actually felt cheesed-off - althought I got no plans on any kids! Hahahahaha! However, I then saw Dune, and there's a girl there called Alia... which now became the favourite, although I much perfer it spelt with a "Y". And no... I didn't change my own name to Alya, might be my favourite name in the world, but it doesn't suit me.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by aspiechick

Cody isn't my given name
It's a nickname from my younger days after a character in a really naff film called streets of fire. The main character is a guy called Tom Cody.
I wear my names with pride. Both given at birth and given by my friends. I've been called other things as well but choose to ignore them

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I just watched LOR on TV over the holidays (found it when channel surfing) and couldn't stop watching. Been awhile since I've seen the films...and when I saw Galadriel I decided that was the ATS name. Love the sound of it.

I feel names are powerful. There may be something to them in terms of numerology perhaps. But one's "true" name, that should be closely held.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
If I told you my kids names I would easily be found..

I named one after an old bossanova singer, her middle name is Berlin (Irving Berlin)

Second daughter named after someone in Royal Tennenbaums, her middle name is Marin after Marin County, CA (the place I met my husband)

I wanted to have one more girl (but alas, I'm too old..and had difficulty) but we would have named her Esme Lucille. I like Esme and my grandmother was Lucille...If a boy--Desi--

that's all...

edit on 5-1-2013 by Neopan100 because: because

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well, my son is Jean-Paul. Paul is for my husband's Uncle Pork who was named Paul. Jean is because I wanted a french name (it is pronounced John). It sounded good with Paul, thus Jean-Paul.

If I have another I'm going to name him Alejandro.
edit on 5-1-2013 by antonia because: opps

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
That's like an american news report i saw a little while ago (we get fed a lot of american news outside of the US) that alerted me to the existence of the name "nevaeh" (something backwards).

Why would you name your kid that? Oh, you're so clever! said nobody, ever. It's obnoxious to have parents like this. It's all fun and games for now, but wait until they're older. How will that name have context?
Besides, according to common religious logic, wouldn't having "heaven" backwards represent the contrary of "heaven". I don't know, it just seems to me like it's the inverse of the message they are trying to give.

This completely justifies iceland's extreme views on name registry. Sure, it doesn't give much choice. But do you blame them? At least they have something to stop people from naming their children "wall" or "park bench" or "@hotmail.com" or "#(Insert something stupid here)"

EDIT: Oh, where was my contribution? My first name was named by my father after Daniel from the bible. He was religious at the time, hence the choice. Funnily enough, i was never baptised and he's since not practiced religion, and i've never referenced it to anything biblical or religious, so my name has never meant to me what it meant to my father.

As for my middle name, it was named after his best friend
edit on 5-1-2013 by xxdaniel21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Isn't this thread breaking T&C rule #15?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
My eldest Rachel (18).. Was named after the biblical Rachel and is an aspiring model (*groan*).. My son Dean (17) just because I thought Dean was a cool name.. He is an engineering student.. Courtney (15) was named after Courtney Cox.. Because.. Well.. Shes hot lol.. She is still at high school...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
There was no special meaning behind my daughters names, well to me anyway. They were just names that I really liked. Our first daughter we considered Charlotte but then named her Madison. We named our 2nd Nikita. To this day, I love both of those names.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist
Isn't this thread breaking T&C rule #15?

If it is mods, and you feel so inclined please remove this thread, if not carry on guys there are some lovely stories out there

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

I don't think so, you don't have to post your child's name rather just explain why you did name them what you did.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Sorry guys, but giving your kids unusual names means a lifetime of having to spell it out, mispronunciations, and having to repeat yourself 5 times.

It will take way any signifigance that the name will have.

Your child doesn't need a historical name in order to understand heritage.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I think you need to define unusual. My name is not your average girl's title but I figured it out by the time I was five and it gave me no grief in life.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

But that actually works out. Because if he wants to use his given name in a professional environment, he can.

Whether people want to believe it or not, names give an impression.

Can you see any CEOs named Nevaeh?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Probably anything that is not traditional or can't be found on a keychain in a gift shop.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Well, it's a good thing we all don't think like that or life would be rather boring.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Ds1- no name seemed right until a week before he was born we saw the Oscar winning foreign film for the year prior to his birth and we both turned to each other and "knew" that his name was that of the title character.

dd1- looked like a carbon copy of ds, so we gave her a name that rhymed with his. I figured it was the closest to twins that I was going to get.

Ds2- came to me in a dream telling me that I was pregnant, and telling me his name. He died at birth.

Ds3- named after my dh's favorite uncle.

All of the kids have unusual names. Names that are more common place in Europe, but not common in the US, and they all have the potential to go by a more common nickname

top topics

<< 1   >>

join