It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How strong will a future VGA be?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Nowdays, our VGA's or Video Graphics Ecellerator are reaching a max capiblity of a 256 MB. Nvida came out with a new card putting two 256 Mb graphics cards together and created a 512 Mb. How far will are VGA 's graphics max out to in the next hundred years or so. Will the graphic and phisics engines be so advanced that we will concoure realism in a game or animation using a VGA?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Wow, that's really amazing. Why not have NVIDIA just put four together? They'd be RICH!

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
You could easily get real world realism with the cards they use these days, its just using whatever it is in real-time, you could create an almost totally realistic human and control it but because of processing power you would only be able to use 1 real time human and no other high poly objects.

But 512mb worth of graphics card is amazing i would love to have one of those although im quite happy with my built in amd until some serious excellent game came out that needed that kind of graphics card.

I would say in the next 5 years we will easily be in the 1-2 gig graphics card market, maybe sooner than that, depends how much cash the companies can squeeze out of each release.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
You must understand, ram is good and all, but most of the time the bottleneck is processing power-VPR and CPU.
I think your two vido card idea is what alienware and Nvidia are working on. Two seperate cards tied togather either by seperate hardware bridge or using same bus. The idea is one card fills half the screen and the other one fills the other half of the screen.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
I think your two vido card idea is what alienware and Nvidia are working on. Two seperate cards tied togather either by seperate hardware bridge or using same bus. The idea is one card fills half the screen and the other one fills the other half of the screen.

theoretically speaking, would it then be possible to combine, say 4, with them each filling 1/4th of the screen and improve your graphics card that way?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
If unless you had, say, a 52 inch moniter, then you'd probably only need to stick with one or two for world realism. But what would happen if one of the 4 cards went down? You could only see three blocks on the screen and the other one would be blank!

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
yes it would be possible, but technicially much more difficult. It would use 4 slots. and tieing them together would be dificult at best.
The power requirements would also be very high.
Lets not forget the heat that 4 cards would produce.
Now the main cpu would be bottleneck, so need multiple cpus..............

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Liquid nitrogen is good for cooling. Someone under the topic "A Computer That is Too Fast" has a pic of their motherboard that uses that to cool their processor; check it out!

Speaking of computers and all, our church's office's brand new computer is now in hundreds of pieces because somebody thought it was ok to destroy church property. It must be awful to be that pastor, having to deal with that. I feel so sad...

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat
If unless you had, say, a 52 inch moniter, then you'd probably only need to stick with one or two for world realism. But what would happen if one of the 4 cards went down? You could only see three blocks on the screen and the other one would be blank!

more likely then part of the screen just dissapearing, the burden would just be placed on the remaining three cards, but it all depends on what they're made to do, software, etc.

Originally posted by diehard_democrat
Liquid nitrogen is good for cooling. Someone under the topic "A Computer That is Too Fast" has a pic of their motherboard that uses that to cool their processor; check it out!

I'm sure liquid nitrogen cooling would be a bitch to maintain

yes, it is true that 4 graphics cards would produce a lot of heat and those high power requirements too, but I'm sure there'd be some people that just want the bragging rights to say that they have 16 video cards in their computer (lol, there's an outrageously high cost)
as for the multiple cpus, wouldn't just a mult-core CPU work?
www.amd.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I think that at the rate we are going by 2012 we will have 4GB VGA's.
After all it's only 2004 and we have dual 256 Nvidia 6800 Ultras runing on pci-express or in other words 16X.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Nvidia is using an old technic called SLI which uses a SLI bridge
to join 2 Videocards to eachother. so its like a motherboard with to
procs on it.

www.nvidia.com...

NVIDIA� SLI� (Scalable Link Interface) multi-GPU technology is a revolutionary approach to scalability. NVIDIA SLI takes advantage of the increased bandwidth of the PCI Express� bus architecture, and features hardware and software innovations within the GPU and the MCP (media and communications processor). Together these innovations work seamlessly to deliver heart-pounding PC performance. And depending on the application, NVIDIA SLI can deliver as much as 2x the performance of a single GPU system for unparalleled gaming experiences.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
oh yeah my opinion is we are going to have mulit core CPU's around 1 quarter 2005 so I think in the future we will get multi core GPU's with
MEMS memory (magnetic memory) both made with the help of new Nano tech and not using the materials used nowadays but a new material.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
It will get so much better than real that it will be like majic. Bigger, faster etc. Maybe you should say display cards as VGA is not necessarily the end all display standard. Monochrome, CCG (4-color 16 palette) & EGA (16-color 256 pallet) preceded VGA.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I'm looking forward to parallel cores on the mobo and the gpu. I don't know how many developers are interested in programming for parallel arcitecture. Putting four VGA's into a system will just load up the CPU unless special programming is considered to properly load the graphics so that more work is handled by the GPUs. Currently only a precentage of processing is handled by the GPU to help with rendering, newer cards now run the shaders on the GPU.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
We have aready been using the 3D graphics engine for a long time. Will it end now, or will we go and try to capture the fourth dimension?

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Well actually, to answer some of your question of actual ports, VGA is dieing slowly as it is of relatively poor analog quality. Digital connections such as DVI and HDMI are becoming more and more used because of their incomparably greater picture and function.

new topics

top topics

join