It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Won't Put Nader on Ballot in Ohio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court on Tuesday declined to put independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader on the ballot in the battleground state of Ohio.

On Friday, Nader asked the high court to review Ohio's decision to remove him, arguing that a state law that requires people who collect signatures on candidates' petitions be registered voters violated free speech rights.

Nader's request for a review went to Justice John Paul Stevens, who referred the matter to the full court. The justices denied the request without comment Tuesday.

story.news.yahoo.com... ory&u=/ap/20041026/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_nader&cid=558&ncid=2043

Democrats, fearful that Nader could cost them votes if his name is on the ballot, had presented evidence to Ohio Secretary of State Kenneth Blackwell that petition collectors registered at fraudulent addresses or places they didn't live.

Blackwell ordered Nader's name off the ballot after a hearing officer concluded there was evidence of fraud. Nader appealed that ruling to a federal judge, who earlier this month upheld Blackwell's decision.

How is this fair to Nader ?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
concluded there was evidence of fraud.

Umm? Since people like using criminal activity as a metaphor for everything...

Wouldn't that be like asking, 'hey this guy killed someone and got life in prison, how is that fair?'

They found evidence of fraud. That means he was using fraudulent means to get onto the ballot to begin with, hence they ruled that he can't be on the ballot. Apparently what -- three courts have agreed? What's so difficult to understand?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I guess I'm missing how it's Naders fault about the fraud...

I'll go re-read the article again..

new topics

join