It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lottery Is Cursed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I am sure most of us have heard stories about how winning the lottery has ruined peoples lives. Take a look at these stories and tell me again how much you want to win the power ball.

THE LOTTERY IS CURSED

Even if you do manage your winnings well you have to look out for friends and relatives.

Jeffrey Dampier

When Jeffrey Dampier won $20 million in the Illinois state lottery in 1996, he spent it well. He shared it generously, buying a house for his parents, cars for his siblings and a seven-day Caribbean cruise for 38 family members. But Dampier was also having an affair with Victoria Jackson, his sister-in-law, according to Time. But Jackson was after the money. Victoria and unrelated-boyfriend Nathaniel Jackson robbed Dampier, but then Victoria ordered Nathaniel to shoot Dampier. He did, and both were subsequently sentenced to life in prison without parole.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Dude, I totally agree with you...

4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Towards the OP, many folks willingly say things like "I would sell my soul to win the jackpot" well maybe they should be careful for what they wish for....
edit on 4-1-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Excellent post. (S and F.)

I am reading through these stories now, and it is amazing.
Very interesting.

I see this as preparation for one day when I win the lottery.
I will NOT make the same mistakes.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It usually all starts with "shared with family" and "bought friends and loved ones cars and houses" and add a lot of greed to it and its never a good thing.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I also feel that this doesn't necessarily start and end with just lottery winners. You can find cases all around of people who come into money very quickly and with zero help or knowledge they go right through it immediately. A guy who lives right down the road from me (well use to the bank took the house), played in the NBA for 10+ years made over $110 million and went right through it and now he filed for bankruptcy. Rumor has it that he supported a 79 person entourage. I'm sure these cursed lottery winners support more people they could possibly ever imagine once they receive the money. And in a way it turns out to be more of a burden, some would even call it a curse...

edit on 4-1-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

JAK

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Curse? Really? What the hell . . .

This story should be titled "Idiot lands himself in trouble."

Is the idea that stupidity can have consequences really that outrageous a thought or is there just a need to blame something else, anything else rather than people just accepting responsibility for their own actions?
edit on 4/1/13 by JAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I'll take my chances. Bring on the jackpot!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
If you come into any signifigant money, you should make no decisions for a year.

The smartest thing to do is remain anon, and hire a professional money manager and investor to handle it and advise you.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
It's a myth.
Yes, of course there are people who can't handle it, and there's a lot of people around those who suddenly get a lot of money that can't handle it.
But there are plenty of sudden millionaires that come up all the time. Even if there are "many" of the above stories, it doesn't mean that winning the lottery is a bad thing.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Big lottery winners need to learn how to say NO when friends and family they haven't seen in 10+ years start showing up asking for handouts, I know if I won the only 3 people to get anything from me are my mum, dad and brother.
If my friends would nolonger wanted to speak or be happy for me because I don't hand out loads of cash then they can't be very good friends.

Im in my late 20's now and have been working since I was 16 so I know how hard it can be to make very little money so if I did win I would not go giving it away and buying thigs like 200 grand sports cars, that would just attract alot of unwanted attention.
edit on 4-1-2013 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2013 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I never play the lottery when it is at a large sum. The lottery I do play nowadys pays just $100,000.00 and those winners rarely make the news cycle so as such is easier to remain anon.

I would also loan friends and family money if they absolutely needed assistance. LOAN, not give. I would only give to charity.

But I do agree, when it came to sob stories from aquaintenances and relatives whom I haven't heard from in years...I would tell them to pound salt.

top topics

join