It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Can Control Your Baby's Name

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
This is where all of the people who want more government control are taking us.

Did you know that certain countries have a list of approved names? Apparently Iceland is one of those countries.

Apparently the name "Blaer," meaning "soft breeze" is not good enough for the paper-pushing bureaucrats who believe they are more suited to decide on a girl's name than her mother.

Story

Can we just cut to the chase, form a committee, and make Nancy Pelosi the Chairwoman for Unusual Naming Traditions?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Think about the kid that has to grow up getting bullied or teased for havIng a dumb name?

Poor old apple, always getting pushed around

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by dorkfish87
Think about the kid that has to grow up getting bullied or teased for havIng a dumb name?

Poor old apple, always getting pushed around

And what do you mean by old people? The girl in the story is 15, and her mother looks like she was about 20 when she gave birth.

This isn't about old people being pushed around. It's about a sick mentality of wanting to believe The State knows better than you do, even when it comes to naming your child.

Let's see.... freedom or maybe having some kids teased.... hmmmm..... tough decision here..... yes, let's go with making sure no kid ever gets teased about their name. Much better than freedom.

Better move on to how parents dress their kids next. We wouldn't want kids being teased if their parents dress them in mismatched socks.

Unfortunately, no bureaucrat can save somebody for being teased for just having dumb ideas.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
And it doesn't take much to realize the government is right. Try being a school teacher now days. Kids get all offended if you can't pronounce their names and employeers just skip over some because it's just more bother than it's worth. Our HR people joke about it.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikell
And it doesn't take much to realize the government is right. Try being a school teacher now days. Kids get all offended if you can't pronounce their names and employeers just skip over some because it's just more bother than it's worth. Our HR people joke about it.

Of course the government is right. What more can people want? They've given permission for everybody to choose from 1,853 government approved baby names.

I guess it depends on what you value more, freedom or having to spend 3 seconds learning how to pronounce somebody's name. That is quite a bother. And "Blaer" is such a tough name to learn as well.

Thank god we have the bureaucrats running sitting in their offices drinking tea, making sure everything is in order.

And one more thing. Instead of the name "Blaer" on on her legal documents, the Icelandic government insists on the name "Stulka" instead. Much better than Blaer of course.

ps I am worried for the future of mankind if this type of thinking becomes commonplace. No wonder people from all over the world want to come to the US.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikell

It's hilarious, cuz -- here I am at twenty six years old, and never seen a name I couldn't pronounce -- and I've seen some straaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaange names in my life.

Maybe it's more telling that our teachers and employers are not fit.

How does an employer turn down a resume because they don't like someones first name? What's that say about your stupid HR department?

And yeah, a kid has every right to get upset if a teacher can't pronounce their name. You only need to be told once. If you can't remember how to pronounce it, you are either A.) being disrespectful, or B.) Don't have the capacity to teach.

Real talk.

edit on 3-1-2013 by Laykilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I didnt say people, I said apple, as in the celebrity baby. And yeah some people aren't very equipped for critical thinking

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Recent thread already on this here

top topics

join