It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'MONSTER' charged particles coming from the centre of our Galaxy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Apparently the outflows contain million times the energy of an exploding star.But Scientists do say they pose no threat to Earth.It is an interesting story nonetheless

'These outflows contain an extraordinary amount of energy — about a million times the energy of an exploding star," said the research team's leader, CSIRO's Dr Ettore Carretti.

The speed of the outflow is supersonic, about 1000 kilometres a second.

'That's fast, even for astronomers," Dr Carretti said.

'They are not coming in our direction, but go up and down from the Galactic Plane.

This IMAGE shows the “geysers” (in blue) shooting out of the Milky Way. Credit: Optical image – A. Mellinger, U.Central Michigan; radio image – E. Carretti, CSIRO; radio data – S-PASS team; composition – E. Bresser, CSIRO

'The outflow from the Galactic Centre is carrying off not just gas and high-energy electrons, but also strong magnetic fields,' said team member Dr Marijke Haverkorn of Radboud University Nijmegen in The Netherlands.

'We suspect this must play a big part in generating the Galaxy's overall magnetic field.'

As we move towards the centre of our galaxy it seems to get more of an unsafe place to be. I just wonder if life ever gets started there it gets wiped out just as quickly. Perhaps you need to be out on the arms of the galaxy like we are to be far away from all the nasty stuff going on!

-ASH

source: phys.org...

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
? @ 2.2 million mph how long would it take to reach 100 million years away?

Nice find

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   
This is very, very interesting. (SnF)

Thank you for posting this, OP.

I certainly did not realize that our Milky Way galaxy was that "dynamic" still.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Being from the "rural" parts of our galaxy, it's insane to think about what can be seen from the planets closer to the central nebula.

Near the center it's got to be quite the light show, never mind that millions of those planets probably never experience night as we know it
edit on 3-1-2013 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I think 3111194076.29 years

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Interesting.

However, if they are not coming in our direction, then how are we detecting them? Are they possibly giving off some other component that IS heading our direction (visible photons or something)?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
What effect does this hold on our planet?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Noobastronomer

OP a question about that very interesting pic you've posted. From a victim suffering with 0 knowledge of astronomy.
Why does there seem to be a perimeter where the stars just stop and then beyond that perimeter there is only a blackness ?

SnF of course.
edit on 3-1-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I wonder if we can't see that far out yet

Maybe our telescopes aren't powerful enough.....yet.

I also have zero understanding on this subject but just throwing out an idea (good question nevertheless)
edit on 3-1-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
Interesting.

However, if they are not coming in our direction, then how are we detecting them? Are they possibly giving off some other component that IS heading our direction (visible photons or something)?

Can you track a baseball after you hit it, even though it's heading away from you.

bizarre question you got there, mang.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

OP a question about that very interesting pic you've posted. From a victim suffering with 0 knowledge of astronomy.
Why does there seem to be a perimeter where the stars just stop and then beyond that perimeter there is only a blackness ?

SnF of course.

It looks to be more of a fisheye lens effect, a way to get all the surrounding area into 1 frame.
That, or we just live in a giant hole lol

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I'm sure there is some photo-logical reason for it. Even if there were a place in the cosmos where the stars just ended like that we would know nothing about it. Let alone snap a few shots of it.

Forgot to proof read.

eX

It looks to be more of a fisheye lens effect, a way to get all the surrounding area into 1 frame. That, or we just live in a giant hole lol

There you go.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Not really when you consider that a baseball reflects light that is heading your direction, or the fact that you can bounce frequencies off of a baseball which will indeed head back towards your direction.

I think he's asking how we detect the existence of these kinds of phenomena when they are not directly exhausting some sort of signal in our direction.

A lot of the measurements involved with this work, I assume, utilize the Doppler effect. Its more advanced than my understanding, but I believe that by taking data from the detectable waves and frequencies we are receiving, we can detect and assume with a certain accuracy what has influenced the type of movement and frequency of the particles we can detect.

If you stand at a river that's moving quite quickly, you know with accuracy what kind of stimulus the fluid is receiving to behave in that manner.

Only in this case, lightyears and subatomic farts.
edit on 3-1-2013 by BendedBones because: I dun fixed stuff

edit on 3-1-2013 by BendedBones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Those jets were coming out many many millions of years ago. Thats how long it takes to see something from the center. To see it, it would already have arrived.

Not spreading out everywhere? I don't consider them qualified to decide what that Xray or Photon expulsion is doing? They really can't say what it did! Or if it would be significant, and they did have a clue, they wouldn't admit it.

Also we're not on an even plane to the galaxy to begin with. We could be Sag for that matter.

I actually consider that to be akin to Fluffy, and the magnetic strips we're supposed to be going through. Akin to the Superwave Theory.

I'm pretty sure it will permeate everywhere.
edit on 3-1-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Do those jets have anything to do with the Super Massive Black Hole in the center of the galaxy? I couldn't find anything that would put the two together. Maybe something got "eaten" and our resident black hole had a hiccup?

This stuff always fascinates me.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Can you track a baseball after you hit it, even though it's heading away from you.

bizarre question you got there, mang.

Yes you can track a baseball. Visually, lets say, by sensing the radiation that is reflected off it and re-directed to your eyes. By a fancy embedded RFID chip, lets say, by sensing the RF signal that is transmitted back to your sensor. There are many ways one could track a baseball after you hit it, even though its heading away from you,
yet no macro-scale physics yet account for a way that wouldn't involve a transmission of some sort from baseball to observer.

NOTE: On the quantum level, I suppose entanglement could account for one being able to store information regarding an object without receiving a signal, as we understand it, from the non-local object.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

Yes, they are emitting or being expelled out of the so called black hole, which may or may not be what they think.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
reply to post by DerekJR321

Yes, they are emitting or being expelled out of the so called black hole, which may or may not be what they think.

Ah.. very interesting. Thanks for the reply. Wonder what it was that blew up like that.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

SnF of course.

I saw a comment from an astromoner recently and his thoughts were that the "Dark Rift" that we can see when looking at the centre of our galaxy, is dark because of a massive amount of debris, asteroids and other space debris in a field so dense it blocks the light, and obscures the view of the galactic centre.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Huh.. Wasn't there a thread on here not to long ago, about a man filming a video through his telescope of "something" exploding in space. Along with "something" else orbiting it.

Hmmmm.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join