It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns + Stupidity = Laughter

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I know the thread was intended for laughter, I was just pointing out that it isn’t exactly stupidity but just inexperience.

Beyond that, here is some more funny firearms videos.

Slipping a 3 inch mag in with the target rounds.

A compilation of several people he did the same thing to.

And some other videos.

And finally, a person that knows how to catch a recoil.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I figured we could all use a little light humor in all this debating gun rights and pro this or anti that. In the following video we see a wide range of "Dumb Happening" and even what I'll just assume are a couple Darwin awards in the process of being won. Now, nothing graphic, so we are literally left to simply assume they won their award in spirit.

By the way, I'll give a big flashy Star to anyone who can name the rifle that is literally blowing grown men off their feet at 6:30 onward? I've seen idiots blown over on ranges from poor stance, hold on the rifle or just plain inexperience of what to expect .... but that goes well beyond? That thing is a howitzer!

Great video.

Wonder if the Adam Lanza's autopsy will be released, and if so, if it will show bruising from so many individual recoils. He would likely be pretty beat up after firing 100+ rounds, right?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by sconner755
He would likely be pretty beat up after firing 100+ rounds, right?

223 is a relatively low powered round. It packs far less energy than a shotgun. And a lot less than the rifles that were used in the videos. So recoil isn’t really a problem.
edit on 3-1-2013 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sconner755

Well, 100rds out of handguns wouldn't do anything special. I'd say most folks shoot far more than that on an average trip to the range. An AR-15.....as I think you're asking about? I'll put it this way, I wouldn't repeat this stunt but I watched a friend put the butt of his AR- directly against his groin and fire several rounds downrange to convince his girlfriend it really had very very little recoil. Perhaps someone had handed her a high power bolt action at some point in time. Anyway... The gas system the cheaper AR-'s operate on cuts the recoil down to a rocking motion, IMO.

Now put a .223 bolt action rifle against your groin and pull the same thing? You'll be hitting the high notes for a couple days. lol

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by johngalt722

A short answer, "Shrapnel, oh my god, shrapnel!".

I have to ask, never having fired a firearm in my whole life, why do gun manufacturers make weapons that jump THAT much when fired? Surely that makes for a less user friendly device? And also, I hear alot on this site about how careful people are with thier weapons, but I would like to know how come people are allowed to even hold a firearm without having been trained to hold them under recoil? Surely if they are gripping the thing correctly, then they shouldnt be able to drop them?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
And this is why civvies shouldn't have certain weapons.

By the way, the gun near the end, some sort of elephant gun. Fired one that looked very similar, with a similar "knock the shooter sideways and down" recoil.

EDIT: This is what they were firing though, found another vid on it......

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 4/1/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by johngalt722

A short answer, "Shrapnel, oh my god, shrapnel!".

I have to ask, never having fired a firearm in my whole life, why do gun manufacturers make weapons that jump THAT much when fired? Surely that makes for a less user friendly device? And also, I hear alot on this site about how careful people are with thier weapons, but I would like to know how come people are allowed to even hold a firearm without having been trained to hold them under recoil? Surely if they are gripping the thing correctly, then they shouldnt be able to drop them?

It’s called conservation of momentum. There is no way to push lead down range at speed without kicking you back. When you want to push a specified weight out the end of a barrel at specified speed, the thing that is accelerating that projectile will be accelerated an equal but opposite direction.

If the gun and your torso had a combined weight of 100LB.
To push a 750 gn projectile at 2460 FPS.
Lets do the math.
750gr/7000= 0.107LB
2460fps*0.107LB=263.6LbFPS
263.6LbFPS/100Lb=2.636FPS

The person’s torso would be heading backward at a little over two and a half feet per second after they fire the gun.

The easiest way to simulate it for a person that has never fired a gun is walking at a full gait and without anticipating it, just lock your next leg solid that hits the floor and try to stop in place. Your momentum will carry you forward. Your back leg will come up off the floor as your body is carried over your braced leg by the momentum. That is what it’s like getting hit by a recoil of a gun. It’s almost like you are trying to dead stop from a full speed walk, just backwards.

Once you learn what it is like to be accelerated to full speed reverse while standing still, then you quickly learn how to deal with it.

For the bigger ones you just have to do the back step for a step or two to dissipate the momentum.

The other factor is how sharp the jolt is to your shoulder. The lighter the firearm, the faster it will impact your shoulder, all be it with less weight. Basically, the momentum will be transferred to you faster. A heavier firearm will hit your shoulder at a slower speed, but with more weight behind it. Slower transfer of momentum. Usually it is a lot less painful to shoot a heavier weapon with the same projectile.

The best teaching method is real world. Put a single shell in the gun at a time and let them try. Start out with the lower power shells and work you way up to the bigger ones. If you are using a 12 gauge shotgun, get low power target shells first. Once that softens them up, then go to the general purpose shells. Then go to the 9 pellet 00 buck, slugs, and magnum 15 pellet 00 buck.

A 3 inch 15 pellet 00 buck at 1200FPS will hit you with a 142.5LbFPS recoil. A little over half of a T REX.

If you have shot plenty of 10 gauge shotguns with high power loads, and the like, then you have nothing to fear from a T REX.

And some people handle things a bit different with firing a big gun for the first time. The sheer shock to the system has funny effects. You have to anticipate them doing stupid things at first. The best way to get their system acclimated is immersion therapy. AKA shooting enough rounds down range until they get use to it. As I said, the best teaching method is real world. That is why they have shooting ranges! For people to learn how to shoot.

edit on 4-1-2013 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I'll never forget my first time shooting a 12 gauge 3" magnum...

Everyone warned me about the massive kickback, but of course I was a tough cookie and poo poo'd the warning (although I did tighten up my shoulder grip and leg stance).

I didn't end up on my butt thankfully, but I had one doozy of a friggin' bruise that ran the entire inside of my arm from shoulder to elbow for weeks.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

So by your estimation, the young lady who had the AK looking rifle, and was chugging rounds all over the place should probably have only been given a round or two rather than a full mag to play with? I mean that looked bloody dangerous!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by Mr Tranny

So by your estimation, the young lady who had the AK looking rifle, and was chugging rounds all over the place should probably have only been given a round or two rather than a full mag to play with? I mean that looked bloody dangerous!

Um… The operative term would be YES!

One round
One round
One round…
Then step up to two rounds
Two rounds
Two
Two
Two.
Then three
Three
three
three
And all that time, you tell them to pull the trigger an let up as fast as they can. You look at their finger when they fire to see if the don’t lock up on the trigger. And you look to see if they can maintain their stance while discharging that many rounds. They get the chance to feel what it is like to have the weapons pounding you through successive rounds.

Then you can go up to four or five round a time. Have them go through the exercise of letting off one burst and seeing if there is still ammo in the gun. Then you know that they didn’t freeze on the trigger. Then you can start giving them full mags.

After that, just have them go through the exercise of letting off burst. Let them get use to letting off the trigger while the gun is continuously pounding them.

The reason why is some people have a tendency to lockup on a trigger until the recoil has subsided and the shock of the situation has passed. It doesn’t mater how big or strong they are, they will all do it. A semi auto allows them to get away with that without accidentally killing someone. If the gun keeps firing, the recoil never subsides, and the shock never passes. They can’t gather the sense in them to let off the trigger. And their muscle memory can’t help them because at that point, they have no muscle memory to help them.

So you have to teach them how to control the gun.

The person that was stupid in that situation was not the person firing the gun. The stupid people was the people that gave her a fully loaded auto right out of the box.
…………edit……….

Talk about timing

www.timesofisrael.com...

The incident is said to have occurred when another soldier at the range discharged her rifle while it was on the “automatic” setting and, surprised by the weapon’s recoil, swerved while still firing, wounding the other soldier.

As I said, locking up on the trigger is something anyone can do when presented with something they have never experienced before..

edit on 5-1-2013 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
The OPs Video was Funny as hell. till i got to the kid with the handgun,

It reminded me of the first time i Fired my Mate's 450 Rigby Nitro Express, when I was 19,, i managed 3 rounds, Jesus it felt like i'd been hit by a bloody Freight train, after the giggling had died down i walked away with a large multicoloured bruise, and a very healthy respect for Dangerous Game stopper, Cartridges,

Loaded weapons are dangerous, but inexperience and bravado can be Fatal

top topics

<< 1   >>

join