It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns + Stupidity = Laughter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I figured we could all use a little light humor in all this debating gun rights and pro this or anti that. In the following video we see a wide range of "Dumb Happening" and even what I'll just assume are a couple Darwin awards in the process of being won. Now, nothing graphic, so we are literally left to simply assume they won their award in spirit.

By the way, I'll give a big flashy Star to anyone who can name the rifle that is literally blowing grown men off their feet at 6:30 onward? I've seen idiots blown over on ranges from poor stance, hold on the rifle or just plain inexperience of what to expect .... but that goes well beyond? That thing is a howitzer!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
God Bless 'Merica

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

By the way, I'll give a big flashy Star to anyone who can name the rifle that is literally blowing grown men off their feet at 6:30 onward?

Can't watch the vid right now, but are you talking about the T Rex rifle? .577cal

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
The guys shooting off the RPGs that only go like 3 feet are hilarious. What could possible be going through your mind at that point?!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieJesus

I'm not sure what it is. It's a wood stock, mid length and looks bolt action. It doesn't appear overly large beyond that. Obviously..it IS quite a rifle though because they show man after man after man taking a beating I've never seen from a rifle before. It looks like they have it at a gun store or shooting range as a joke or gag thing for people to try their luck with, given how many are shown and each being filmed for their 'big fail moment'.

I haven't even seen anything like that on .50 BMG's like the Barrett.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Some of this video is down right scary. It amazes me that people take such a dangerous weapon lightly. Guns arent toys folks. These people were lucky, most are not.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Oh man, the cringe factor is very high there.
This is why I avoid public ranges more often than not.

I envy those of you that can laugh at this!
Honestly, it's not funny.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

When I get home I'll watch the vid, but it definitely sounds like the T Rex rifle; they had a video go viral several years ago of grown men getting knocked on their butts shooting this thing, so it sounds like the same footage.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Hahaha, the shotgun ones were my favorite! Maybe, because it reminded me of my first black eye compliments of a 12 gauge!!!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
And to think that there are people pushing for everyone to be armed

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I firmly support the second amendment, but there are just some people that shouldnt have guns. We saw a few of them in the above video.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Thanks for the laugh...much needed.

My dad taught me how to shoot a .22 by the age of 8, shotgun by 10. Wasn't very good at it and didn't particularly care to go target shooting, but dad made sure I knew to respect firearms.

In my school, every eight grader was required to take a course called Hunter's Safety. It taught the basics of weaponry, laws about gun useage, proper ways to fire a gun, etc. we ended shooting clay pigeons as the final. Anyway, they showed us one of those videos that show people careless with guns and getting injured as a result.

Needless to say, I learned my lesson.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Mixed feelings on this one, funny for the most part for the individuals, but those accidental discharges could take a neighbor or family member out, not so funny. The officer in the classroom was kind of scary. The kid in the room with an AK47? Geez I hope a neighbor did not get shot. The ones where the guns fell apart were amusing, but agin dangerous eh?

ETA: I think the music adds much to the perception of the vid, and it made me wonder how the experience with some ominous ufo/alien dramatic music for a sound track would be? It might be seen a little different.

edit on 2-1-2013 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I believe the round they are shooting in that video is the 700 nitro express. It's an elephant round. I have never had the displeasure of shooting one, and I don't know that I would even if I was given the chance.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Guns + Stupidity = Laughter
Well, you know what they say...you can't have 'slaughter' without 'laughter'.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I support gun ownership for the most part (there are some that aren't needed), but dang, videos like this could very well change my opinion!

Some of those people shouldn't be anywhere close to a gun!!

The best "gun control" we could have is to require an IQ test or something before we let somebody even touch one. Whew!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I did some more looking and with some help from a friend, I believe that is the T-Rex .557 rifle. In doing a bit more reading around, it seems it was designed for one thing. It's made for big game hunting guides to carry as an absolute 1 shot stopper.

In other words, from what I can gather, this was made so some Guide stuck with taking Homer Simpson around in Africa or some other place with animals plenty large enough to kill several people if it's pissed enough, doesn't do just that if Homer manages to shoot one just badly enough to piss it off but not to put it down. I suppose it makes sense that way. I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise, but a guide would want/need something to just flat out END a building threat or out of control situation before it went beyond the point of recovery.

Hmm.. All the same? I'll pass. My wife has told me we will be going to Oklahoma some day soon to shoot a Barrett .50 at a range outside Tulsa that rents them. Okay, I've agreed to that and it has a BIG muzzle brake. I've seen skinny women shooting those on tables....with the brake of course. That beast though? Wow.... (rubs shoulder with phantom pain) I'll pass twice!

@ ZombieJesus

Great guess! A star is from me.

edit on 2-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Ah… so so.
Besides the negligent discharge ones, they are kind of the normal mistakes that inexperienced shooters make.

The normal mistakes usually break down into a few basic categories. And if you watch the tape again, you will see that the list below covers most.

1. Scope with poor eye relief on a high power rifle. Or the person holding his eye as close as he can to the scope. People don’t realize how much a rife will push into your shoulder even when you are holding solid. If there is only one inch of room between the end of the scope and your face, it will be imbedded in your face when you pull the trigger. That is why center fire rifle scopes have a rubber ring around the end so that if they hit your face, it won’t cut the skin.

2. A person not properly holding the butt against your shoulder. They don’t realize how hard it is to hold a rifle or shotgun freehand. They will usually try it once, and then they learn their lesson. Or they just don’t know that the butt of the rifle is there for a reason. Again, they will quickly learn the lesson as to why they invented the butt stock.

3. Pistol grip shotguns are not for everyone. They are hard to control even with light loads. Unless you have a decent amount of upper body strength, then do not try to use them with high power rounds. If you have never fired one before, and you try, the gun will probably be on the ground behind you after you pull the trigger. Even if you are use to firing one, if you some how get a 3 inch 00 buck round in there with the target rounds, you will still probably either lose grip on the gun.

4. You do not hold a pistol grip shotgun up to your cheek to aim it. You just don’t. There is no way for you to brace your arms in the close in position to stop it from coming back into your face. You will only make that mistake once before you learn your lesson.

5. You work your way up in handgun size to get yourself familiar with the recoil. Never let someone shoot a large caliber handgun that has never shot handguns before. It will always end up with the person doing things like they did on the video. I don’t care if they are the world body building champion. If they have never fired a handgun, and you hand them a 500 SW, then the gun is going to be several feet behind them after they pull the trigger, in addition to a big welt on the center of their forehead. And even if they have fired handguns before, if they are firing a caliber they have never fired before, then only load one round in the gun at a time, until they get use to it. That way, if they lose control over the gun, and accidentally hit the trigger while the gun is pointed at something, then no one, including themselves, will not get shot.

6 Recoil is the universal equalizer. No mater how strong and big you are, if you have never experienced recoil before, and you try to fire a cartridge with big recoil, you are going to be on your ass with a sore shoulder. Once you know what to expect, then it become instinctive. It doesn’t mater if you a little boy, if you know how to catch the gun, and yourself, from a hard recoil, then it’s all manageable. It’s like someone throwing a bowling ball at you. If you never see it coming, then it will throw you for a loop, no mater how strong you are. If you can see it coming, you can brace yourself to catch it.

6.1 You don’t hold a gun, you catch a gun. It doesn’t mater how solid you hold a gun, when you fire it, it will be moving. No amount of strength will stop if from moving at all. You just have to catch it. If you are not prepared to keep a hold of it on the fly back, then you won’t catch it. If you don’t allow your arms to come up with it on the rebound, then you will lose grip.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
"You'll shoot your eye out kid."

comes to mind.
edit on 2-1-2013 by Komonazmuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Thank you for your addition to the thread. As much as I brought this for everyone to get some laughs with and perhaps see what NOT to do, you've added considerably by giving commentary and context to WHY these things happen in the videos. Your contribution is very much appreciated!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join