It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So the Rich got RICHER in 2012.... Total Surprise...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
So it looks like the top 100 wealthiest individuals didn't have too bad of a year in 2012. With the rest of the world hurting, these folks were able to maneuver around the crap to be able to come out with LOTS of green to play with.

The richest people on the planet got richer in 2012, adding $241 billion to their collective net worth, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, a daily ranking of the world's 100 wealthiest individuals.

The aggregate net worth of the world's top moguls stood at $1.9 trillion at the market close on Dec. 31, according to the index. Retail and telecommunications fortunes surged about 20 percent on average during the year. Of the 100 people who appeared on the final ranking of 2012, only 16 registered a net loss for the 12-month period.

"Last year was a great one for the world's billionaires," said John Catsimatidis, the billionaire owner of Red Apple Group, in an e-mail written poolside on his BlackBerry in the Bahamas. "In -- that will give them an advantage."

Amancio Ortega, the Spaniard who founded retailer Inditex SA, was the year's biggest gainer. The 76-year-old tycoon's fortune increased $22.2 billion to $57.5 billion, according to the index, as shares of Inditex, operator of the Zara clothing chain, rose 66.7 percent.

Source

The whole article is too long to post so I just added a little bit of it. If you click on the link you can read the rest.

So in all, it's always good to see the rich getting richer, because we all know and understand that they do have it the hardest...(end sarcasm)..... Anyone still against raising taxes on the super wealthy

edit on 2-1-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-1-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
more importantly the poor got poorer...

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

We must thank Barack 'Hussein' Obama.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by shivaX
reply to post by jhn7537

Yes, he is he greatest President EVER....haha

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
more importantly the poor got poorer...

A lot of "almost rich" people got wiped out in the downturn. Yes, the lower classes lost a lot, but they really never had anything to begin with. So they file bankruptcy and start over. They were extended insane amounts of debt to begin with, not really having anything at all.

There people that were borderline millionaires, that lost 50-75% of their net worth. That hurts, because they actually had something to begin with. It's hard to lose something when you never had anything.

In any case, downturns and bubbles bursting is just a redistribution of wealth. Has been for the past 70 years or so. Simply look back in history and you can see it repeat itself over and over and over.

One person I know had a decent amount socked away. When the crash happened and people will still calling complete doom, I saw the in opportunity. They played it, made well over 100k on one equity trade. But for most, they were so wiped out beforehand even if they had the money to put it back in, they were hesitant.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Look at that....not a single Rothschild on the list!!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Or in other words.

The profits of capitalist owners increase from the outsourcing to cheaper labour markets overseas, while workers at home lose jobs, pay checks stagnate, and prices rise.

edit on 1/4/2013 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

reply to post by jhn7537

You can thank Obama for a lot of things but I am not sure thanking him for the worlds rich list is a step too far. I am not sure what effect the Obama administrations policies have had on some of the people on the list, most importantly those not affiliated with the USA in any way. Again no suprise to me to see people think that America is the centre of everything.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

reply to post by jhn7537

You can thank Obama for a lot of things but I am not sure thanking him for the worlds rich list is a step too far. I am not sure what effect the Obama administrations policies have had on some of the people on the list, most importantly those not affiliated with the USA in any way. Again no suprise to me to see people think that America is the centre of everything.

While I am most definitely NOT a fan of Obama by a LONG SHOT.....I would have to agree with this post....

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Again no suprise to me to see people think that America is the centre of everything.

Or think the President, or government, are in control of the economy.

It's more like the economy is in control of the government.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Again no suprise to me to see people think that America is the centre of everything.

Or think the President, or government, are in control of the economy.

It's more like the economy is in control of the government.

Yes I would actually say that is quite the accurate statement at the moment. Isn't your fed still charging you Americans interest on every dollar it prints for you?

top topics

join