It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun purchasers set new record in December: FBI

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...

(Reuters) - The number of FBI background checks required for Americans buying guns set a record in December, as the Connecticut school massacre stirred interest in self-defense and prompted renewed talk of limits on firearms, according to FBI data.

The FBI said it recorded 2.8 million background checks during the month, surpassing the mark set in November of 2 million checks. The number was up 49 percent over December 2011, when the FBI performed a then-record 1.9 million checks.

FBI checks for all of 2012 totaled 19.6 million, an annual record and an increase of 19 percent over 2011.

Someone who passes a background check is eligible to buy multiple firearms.

what in the world could all this possibly mean, any thoughts on this ???

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It is only slowing down because EVERYTHING good is out of stock!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
So then homicides should also be at record highs, right?

What's that? They arent?

Oh.

Well, I'm sure there is some other reason why they arent.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Well they boosted the amount of money for the gun retailers. seems like they scared people on purpose to get them to buy more guns to boost the economy, lol.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sprtpilot

I'd agree with that, and speculate that manufacturers of firearms, magazines etc must have been running at full steam for some time now...

Found this line from the article deserving of a Cpt. Obvious nomination:

Consumer demand for guns appears to have accounted for the uptick in activity.
Why, you don't say...

ETA: Check out this video (not mine) from the local gun show here in Vegas just recently, to get a sense of the panic buying that has been going on around the nation...
You'd think by now gun control advocates would understand that simply discussing the issue leads to this.

Every time a politician says gun control, hundreds of people get off the couch and head to their LGS...
edit on 2-1-2013 by Sek82 because: Eta

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Obama does seem to be one heck of a booster for the Firearms industry.

Now the fun part will be watching him try and tell the millions upon millions of gun owners that due to some new law to be passed down the road, they'll have to hand BACK all they just bought.....Oh and I haven't seen a 'turn-in' program on banned weapons yet that compensated owners to value of the firearm they're required to surrender under a new law. California sure wasn't reimbursing anyone after outlawing whole classes of weapons. Not a dime. You just ate the loss or moved out of state.

link   
19.6 mill. for the year basing the cost of a gun on average of about 500 (and thats being cheap) = 9.8 billion dollars slap mags and bullets. BAM thats a # ton of money.
edit on 2-1-2013 by Donahue because: (no reason given)

link   
What do you mean what does it mean? It means that 19.6 million Americans chose to exercise the right granted to them through the second amendment.
It also means that more and more Americans are waking up to the realization that they have to defend and protect themselves, because the police and the government damn sure aren't going to.
edit on 1/2/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Boost the economy, buy all the guns you wish, stock up on ammo as well, while you can, right around the corner one of 2 things will happen or possibly both...

WE WILL TAKE THOSE GUNS BACK FROM YOU! under our new laws so thanks for all that free money and we get those pretty guns of your to boot!

So our new laws will either steal all or most guns from people.. the people we cant steal the guns from we will enact a law on purchasing black powder and ammo that you much be registered to do so.. Now we know where the rest of the guns are, even if we let yuo purchase ammo it will be limited in type and quantity..

Good luck defending yourself again us when we come for you.

That is our future.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Everyone is running out to buy them while they still can. Ammo too. I'm having a hard time finding FMJ 9mm to shoot at the range. Its getting ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Now the fun part will be watching him try and tell the millions upon millions of gun owners that due to some new law to be passed down the road, they'll have to hand BACK all they just bought.....Oh and I haven't seen a 'turn-in' program on banned weapons yet that compensated owners to value of the firearm they're required to surrender under a new law. California sure wasn't reimbursing anyone after outlawing whole classes of weapons. Not a dime. You just ate the loss or moved out of state.

No worries there! Wait for the dollar to collapse and watch the people who will turn in their guns to get some money to buy some food for their family....

Do you think it is by accident that this gun grab and end to the 2nd is being so closely timed with our economic collapse?

Trust me, our Federal parents will try to do it the easy way first, then people better prepare themselves for all hell to break loose!

Those who don't voluntarily give up their weapons, will either fight or cower down to their masters and be put into the re education camps that have recently been declassified!

Americans have some soul searching to do if you ask me......Do we fight, or do we get down on our knees? Either way, our children and our grandchildren will face a new world and the rebirth of a government who honors the Constitution, or life of death and slavery at the hands of these globalist scumbags whom have taken over our country......

I already know my choice!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Well I read in one of my gun magazines that one state is trying to pass a bill that would tax each round of ammo by $.05 and they are calling it a violence tax. It is complete BS can you imagine a box of .22s. It is no wonder people are stocking up. My local gun store is back logged for 2000 AR15s right now.

www.theblaze.com...www.huffingtonpost.c... om/2012/10/18/cook-county-bullet-tax-to_n_1978916.htmlusnews.nbcnews.com... x-on-guns-and-ammo?lite
edit on 2-1-2013 by Grimpachi because: add link

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

I'm awful glad I have the reloading equipment, pounds of powder, virgin brass and bullets to load thousands and thousands of rounds for a variety of calibers well into the future. They can ban ammunition entirely for all it would impact me either way. I haven't bought a box of ammunition outside high power defense stuff (because I don't want to have reloading be a legal issue in a defense shooting...should it happen) in over 2 years. It'd be years more with regular shooting on the range before I'd need to buy anything factory made.

Don't buy ammo guys... Buy the equipment and supplies needed to MAKE it.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
Well I read in one of my gun magazines that one state is trying to pass a bill that would tax each round of ammo by $.05 and they are calling it a violence tax. It is complete BS can you imagine a box of .22s. It is no wonder people are stocking up. My local gun store is back logged for 2000 AR15s right now.

Hmmm....a "violence" tax?

I expect then they would apply it to every movie ticket, video game, sporting event, video stream, etc....

But of course they wont.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
[from the OP]
great responses guys ... stars for you all!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
There is a sporting goods store here in Texas that I go to frequently. On Sunday I went to the gun counter, stood around for a bit just listening to the customer questions and the employees' answers. (I always see 3 or 4 employees behind the counter and at least 8-10 customers in the section) Most were asking about when they would get new shipments because ammunition was minimal and I've had my eye on a couple of handguns that were not in the case that day so I wanted to know their arrival schedule also. The employee said the day and time of shipments and said you need to be here when the shipments come in because people are here waiting for these shipments of ammunition. He said, if you can't find it here, don't bother going to a different store location -- it will be gone there as well by the time you get there.

This isn't a craze, these people aren't nuts. They are everyday Americans and they can sense what is coming. This is preparing for the worst.
edit on 2-1-2013 by six67seven because:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
The only businesses booming right now : guns, silver, gold and prepardness... Americans know what's up and what's coming down the pike.

All the Obamabots who worship their lord and ain't preparing at all will be the first to starve/die/get cold... as post-Sandy showed... all a bunch of lemmings waiting for the government to save them... after not even a week, some selling their body for gas... now imagine the US going full Greece... the Obamabots areas would look like Somalia in less than a month.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

apparently santa supports the 2nd amendment

new topics

top topics

join