It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those of you that live in the North.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Isn't is amazing how inhospitably cold it is outside, and how comfortable it is in your homes? I walked outside into a wall of below freezing temps this morning, and all I could think is if we hadn't perfected home heating in this day and age, we'd spend most of our time just trying to get comfortable.

I remember being a kid and having to rely on wood burning heat, how cold it was in the morning, and how long it took to warm everything up before even braving a shower or getting ready.

It makes you wonder why people chose some of the Northern areas way back in the day. Why bums still choose to brave the temps, etc....

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I'm with you there.I often question the logic of my far off ancestors. for choosing a location where it struggles to get above 0 degrees C at this time of year.
I think Billy Connoly was right. when he said that Aberdeen is the Gaelic word for Hypothermia!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Some people will start a thread about anything.

I have no more input other than that condescending little chestnut. I won't be back to read replies, so I get the last laugh!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by nake13
reply to post by boncho

I'm with you there.I often question the logic of my far off ancestors. for choosing a location where it struggles to get above 0 degrees C at this time of year.
I think Billy Connoly was right. when he said that Aberdeen is the Gaelic word for Hypothermia!

Originally posted by yg2bfkm
Some people will start a thread about anything.

I have no more input other than that condescending little chestnut. I won't be back to read replies, so I get the last laugh!

To each his own.

It's interesting to look at all the innovation that was spurred out of the cold isn't it? I mean, Angkor and the Mayan temples are great... But a lot of high technology and/or low technology innovation was spurred in arctic temps...

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I love the cold.

I had been out in southern California and down in the south for the past 10 years or so, and had forgotten how much I missed the cold.

It makes me feel all energized, I love how it gets so cold that just breathing burns your lungs. I really missed the adrenaline rush from driving at high speeds on curvy icy roads.

I like standing in my backyard in nothing but a pair of shorts with a cup of coffee while it's snowing, with steam coming off of my whole body.

Yeah, I love it.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Isn't is amazing how inhospitably cold it is outside, and how comfortable it is in your homes? I walked outside into a wall of below freezing temps this morning, and all I could think is if we hadn't perfected home heating in this day and age, we'd spend most of our time just trying to get comfortable.

I remember being a kid and having to rely on wood burning heat, how cold it was in the morning, and how long it took to warm everything up before even braving a shower or getting ready.

We still do this. Lol. Thank goodness for the ole wood stove. Although my spouse is the one who gets up early in the AM getting it nice and warm. My butt is not moving in the cold.

I would love it if someone invented a self shoveling driveway.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
I love the cold.

I had been out in southern California and down in the south for the past 10 years or so, and had forgotten how much I missed the cold.

It makes me feel all energized, I love how it gets so cold that just breathing burns your lungs. I really missed the adrenaline rush from driving at high speeds on curvy icy roads.

I like standing in my backyard in nothing but a pair of shorts with a cup of coffee while it's snowing, with steam coming off of my whole body.

Yeah, I love it.

I would die in warmer temps. Went out for a smoke this a.m. and the cold seeping through my clothes was simply refreshing.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Here in Montreal, it's presently 12F ( -11C ) and we are still digging ourselves out of the new snow storm of the century that happened last thrusday, December 27th.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/ms50e04b79.JPG[/atsimg]

Two bystanders help a Montreal ambulance driver get his stuck vehicle out of a snow bank in Montreal on Dec. 27, 2012.

Montrealers take snow in stride as storm smashes 1971 record

Here's a cool little video done by a Montrealer, after the storm had passed. The song is in french (sorry) but it gives an idea...

You gotta love winter !!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

We're not far from You ( in Ottawa ) . We only got 35cm last week in the first dump but it started up again and I think we got another 20cm ! At least it was fluffy snow ! Joyeux Noel et Bonne Annee Mon ami !!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

That song is the French version of Engelbert Humperdincks " winter world of love "

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I have lived in the snow belt and I have lived in the Deep South. I could never go back to living in the north again. I went back to visit family in October and I don't think I warmed up the entire time I was there. Plugging in the block heater on the car, shoveling snow, leaving faucets dripping overnight so pipes don't freeze.....no thank you!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Here in Northern, coastal New England, we've got about two feet on the ground. Got dumped on last night & a couple days ago. I could handle a little Southern excursion right about now. A nice Caribbean Island is calling my name. I can smell the ocean, spilled booze, and hear Jimmy Buffet playing in the background. Sigh....

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I like looking at snow, from a cozy spot.

I am a warm weather chick.

"I like all seasons, just not the &^%$$# ones" ~ Daniel Tosh

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

It makes you wonder why people chose some of the Northern areas way back in the day.

'coz they knew they got to do this:

Picture taken a few minutes ago in my livingroom... and I can't think of anywhere I'd feel more cosy, than what I do this very moment, right here and now.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by aspiechick

That's all well and good. The plus side is you could freeze or cool things back then, but thinking about braving that kind of lifestyle without the amenities we have now is a little daunting...

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerdyclutzyblonde

We still do this. Lol. Thank goodness for the ole wood stove. Although my spouse is the one who gets up early in the AM getting it nice and warm. My butt is not moving in the cold.

I would love it if someone invented a self shoveling driveway.

They did invent that, first you do this:

Then, simply wait 10 years.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I am originally from the North East and had moved back there for 5 years because I thought I was homesick, turned out it was temporary insanity!

I live in Florida and even though it gets hotter than the hinges of hell here in the summer, I'll take it over the cold. Even now in the low 60s I'm cold.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Hi Son of the sun,and I bet you Montrealians manage just fine in those temps and with the incredible ammount of snow that you get year in year out,here(Scotland) our local councils seem to be caught by surprise every time the temperature dips below 0 degrees C,for example,they ran out of salt to grit the roads with,additionally,if the snow depth exceeds 3 or 4 inches,it just about causes a national incident with roads closed all over the bloody place,honestly it's embarassing!

new topics

top topics

join