It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man shoved onto Subway tracks for being 'Muslim or Hindu'.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
World, please know this woman does not represent more than a small % of Americans. It may be hard to believe at times, but stop and consider this as it may make it far easier to understand how that is the truth. How common could it be to find life as ignorant, casually brutal and coldly dispassionate as this? If she wasn't rare, we'd live in something similar to the "Crazies" movie.

A 31-year-old woman was arrested on Saturday and charged with second-degree murder as a hate crime in connection with the death of a man who was pushed onto the tracks of an elevated subway station in Queens and crushed by an oncoming train.

Now that was downright rude....but her statement makes it evil, IMO.

In a statement, Mr. Brown quoted Ms. Menendez, “in sum and substance,” as having told the police: “I pushed a Muslim off the train tracks because I hate Hindus and Muslims ever since 2001 when they put down the twin towers I’ve been beating them up.” Ms. Menendez conflated the Muslim and Hindu faiths in her comments to the police and in her target for attack, officials said.

She didn't even care which. As the article states, the man was Indian and Hindu.

Mr. Sen “was allegedly shoved from behind and had no chance to defend himself,” Mr. Brown said. “Beyond that, the hateful remarks allegedly made by the defendant and which precipitated the defendant’s actions should never be tolerated by a civilized society.”
Source

'They walk among us...' That is a term I've heard many times to describe exceptional acts of stupidity and ignorance by average people. It fits here too...but ignorance doesn't cover this. Ignorance is where a dark Soul like hers starts....but evil is where it must end to commit an act like this against a man she didn't even know because he wasn't like her. In some ways, it's a dark world and we're in desperate need of some sunshine.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Downright disgusting act, really the only words I can think of to describe this.

Let alone the fact that the woman equates Muslims to Hindus...
I guess ignorance knows no bounds.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Her name is Menedez:

She related to the brothers that killed their parents for insurance

OR

She a Mexican 'mule' for the cartels.

She forgets she is a minority. And attacks a minority. Based on abstract thinking.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenAlot

Ummm... Wow... The thread is written and based entirely around how evil it was for this human being to shove another human being into the path of a train to be crushed to death solely based on their outward differences. I would assume she is Hispanic by the surname, but I didn't even check. Somehow. given the whole context here, merely checking that detail would seem ....out of place. Just my thoughts and I guess I'm odd that way.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Thanks for the update on this horrible story.

Sadly, i'm not so sure that she represents that small a percentage of the population. Certain facets of our culture continue to breed such hate against other people, whether differences in belief/race/religion/ or whether simply just...differences, that it's short circuiting many people.

I'm sure that as far as actionable statistics the percentage is small, but the belief system involved, i imagine, is a lot greater.

I would love to know the actual statistics and percentages, both of action incidents and simple "feelings."

I mean, we have This story: mosque arsonist: i only know what i hear on fox news. Forgive the actual source, i just pulled the first article on Google. But there are certainly others.

Regardless, the constant hate, division, contradictions, fear, suspicion are building like water pressure on a dam, and it's slowly springing leaks all over the place. Soon, alas, it just might burst, unless it is repaired.

And i firmly believe that this barrage of things is one major factor that is re-wiring and short-circuiting people into such horrible things.

Society is breeding it. Ill-will. Fear. Hatred. Paranoia. Peers, media, social groups..
edit on 30-12-2012 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

World, please know this woman does not represent more than a small % of Americans.

No.

This is starting to be the majority and it's all in the works. We are being programmed to hate/despise anyone of a different color, race, religion or creed.

This is how the West justifies wars against Countries with different beliefs, religions and colors...because the people of the West are being programmed to want it.

I wish it wasn't true but sadly it is. The Elite and the Sheeple are winning.

Peace

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

You hit a fair point. I should amend what I said to be a bit more accurate. The violence and lethal result of her action makes her rare. Sadly, her ignorance and bigotry isn't rare enough by a long shot.

One of the reasons this story jumped off the screen at me was that I saw many like her among truckers after 9/11. The cultural blindness was just awesome to see and not in any positive way. It was bad enough listening to truckers on the CB in truck stops bad mouth Russians of all people ...for talking "Arab".
That, I never said a thing about. They're big boys and can fight their own battles when Russian is all they want to speak.

What bothered me and I did NOT always stay silent for was the attitude of THIS woman. I saw too many truckers giving the Evil Eye or worse, openly challenging and humiliating Hindus in traditional dress who happened to be fellow truckers. You know the names..I don't need to repeat any of that filth here..but they'd get that thrown at them IN truck stops..in public. There were a few occasions I have outright said something and ...you might guess by seeing me around here? I'm not the quiet subtle type when I'm pissed and I'm right. It gave me some satisfaction at the time and shamed a few morons ...I hope...but indeed, that attitude persists, doesn't it?

@Jude

I was typing at the same time you were. Agreed on your points as noted.... Maybe, someday, we can see this wave of hate and just plain empty headed stupidity decline instead of rise. I almost said go away ...but we know it'll never go away entirely. It can simply be controlled and educated out of the majority, IMO.
edit on 29-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

I have to believe that she is Mentally Deranged.

If Not, what a sad excuse for a human being..............

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

It's a damned shame that people still treat others simply based on how they look. Good thing there was no loon behind her who hated bigoted overweight Hispanic women!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I believe that comment was a bit of sarcasm based on the fact that the woman is stereotyping/profiling two different religious groups while she herself appears to be Hispanic judging from the descriptions of the witnesses plus the police sketch. A group that also faces the same sort of racial/ethnic stereotyping and profiling when it comes to drugs and illegal immigration.

The broader point being that it's surprising to see a person from a group that routinely complains of blatant stereotyping and racial profiling resort to the same thing to an even deadlier degree.

- Lee

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
By any chance do you know if she was taking anti depressants?

These minority people seem to be comming out of the woodwork of late which suggest the problem is pretty wide spread.

Clearly there is a social problem in the states, it can't be denied any longer.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Wonder if she knows who really brought down those towers. I think its safe to say this woman has been put out by life. Living in queens new york, i bet her life is rough as sh!t. Perhaps the victim of an inadequate education - so all she really knows about life is what she's experienced and what she hears on the news.

What she did was wrong but im just highlighting what i think is a valid point.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Good grief. She qualifies as the stupidest person I've ever heard of. She killed that poor man because he looked as if he was from the Middle East or India? That's insane. And, sadly, doesn't surprise me that much.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

I have to believe that she is Mentally Deranged.

If Not, what a sad excuse for a human being..............

Oh yeah, any American who kills people is mentally deranged. Any Arab that kills people is a terrorist.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

You hit a fair point. I should amend what I said to be a bit more accurate. The violence and lethal result of her action makes her rare. Sadly, her ignorance and bigotry isn't rare enough by a long shot.

One of the reasons this story jumped off the screen at me was that I saw many like her among truckers after 9/11. The cultural blindness was just awesome to see and not in any positive way. It was bad enough listening to truckers on the CB in truck stops bad mouth Russians of all people ...for talking "Arab". That, I never said a thing about. They're big boys and can fight their own battles when Russian is all they want to speak.

What bothered me and I did NOT always stay silent for was the attitude of THIS woman. I saw too many truckers giving the Evil Eye or worse, openly challenging and humiliating Hindus in traditional dress who happened to be fellow truckers. You know the names..I don't need to repeat any of that filth here..but they'd get that thrown at them IN truck stops..in public. There were a few occasions I have outright said something and ...you might guess by seeing me around here? I'm not the quiet subtle type when I'm pissed and I'm right. It gave me some satisfaction at the time and shamed a few morons ...I hope...but indeed, that attitude persists, doesn't it?

Oh, I completely agree. That's why i mentioned "actionable," yet these incidences do appear to be increasing (or else they are simply being brought to light.

Even though i have never experienced what truckers say in that context (yet i can certainly imagine), i hear this type of thing time and time again--from people i know and people i don't know alike. A large majority of my relatives are generally not prejudiced but they think that way without knowing it, and it irritates me to beyond and back. And it's not political either, any type of conversation--about anything--reverts to the "black" and how "they" act; "the arabs" or "Pakistanis" and how "they" act, etc. I mean, at Christmas this year a topic came up about some shooting somewhere. My aunt made the comment, "Well, the BLACKS..." as if white people or other people don't shoot people.

People like my family (as are we all) a product of their environment. The thing is, which goes back to my point, they hear these things from somewhere and they hear it so much that it creeps into their brains, distorts their thinking--without them even largely knowing it. The lady who shoved that poor man onto the tracks likely was a product of the same type of thing. As one poster mentioned, it IS entirely possible that her own cultural upbringing (Hispanic) had a hand in the belief system regarding people of Middle Eastern descent, based upon her comments. I also believe that it is also definitely due to mental illness, which was one of the first comments i made regarding the CT shooter.

There is a reason why conditioning works: the constant exposure to stimuli of a particular nature re-wires the brain. And this is what is happening. True, some (many?) of these people might have underlying psychological issues, but i also believe that these issues are largely caused and perpetuated by the very nature of society itself (especially in the US). Our brains develop (biologically) one way, and society is operates in an almost completely opposite & contradictory way.

It's a shame, really. :/

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

What a hateful little troll of a person.
I hope she rots in some dark forgotten cell someplace.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Well what is to be expectd when fox news et al preach xenophobia and anti islamic bigotry? I am amazed that at these kind of incidents are so rare! Can we honestly say that we have not had a suspicion about some of our fellow ATS members may be capable of such a thing?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I should apologize for sounding racist. My whole text should have been taken as sarcasm.

I made no mention of race to offend. Simply to imply that some other person could see her in the same light.

There are odd people with far left (as well as far right) thinking that I don't understand.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Random thought. Damn the internet. These horrendous types of behaviors have been happening since we crawled out of the ocean(if that's what you believe). No it's not usually prevalent but it's always there. We have some nasty "humans". Thanks to the net we get to be reminded of the underbelly of our species daily. Not dissing you OP. Just an observation.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeenAlot
I should apologize for sounding racist. My whole text should have been taken as sarcasm.

I made no mention of race to offend. Simply to imply that some other person could see her in the same light.

There are odd people with far left (as well as far right) thinking that I don't understand.

Oh hey, no problem.... I'd looked at your mini- before replying the first time to see if you may have been brand new..and heck, you're not..so my reply was somewhat ...cautious..until you had a reply to say more. I'm glad I didn't say more myself. I already have a couple toes ..I didn't need a whole foot in mouth to extract.

Isn't communicating by text a pain at times? No way to express tone and context sometimes...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join