It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Childhood Memories...My Beautiful Mountain Views! Food For The Soul.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
This is a place my family used to go on Sundays when I was growing up.

I remember most all my aunts and uncles would all pack a picnic to have lunch on the mountain after church. We all lived in the foothills, and the top of the mountain was about 10 miles up a winding dirt road (which seemed more like 20 miles!)

There was a picnic/camping area several miles before reaching Max Patch where the families would gather to eat fried chicken, green beans, potato salad... all kinds of yummy food. It was like a family reunion every Sunday (unless it rained).

The children would all play in the creek that ran through the campground, and swing on the grapevines. Times were good back then... simple.

We didn't have air conditioners when I was young, so a trip to the mountains was a welcomed treat we looked forward to to escape the blistering heat of summer.

Today, how I long to go back to this place and feed my soul on these beautiful views!

The last time I was there was about seven years ago. I can no longer walk up the mountain to see the views from the top (one mile up a steep hill) because of arthritis in my knees, but I can look at these pictures, and videos I recorded the last time I visited.

I look at these pictures and remember how simple life was once upon a time, in a land far, far away, and I get so homesick for those times, I could almost cry.

How I long to go back to those days!
AND
My beautiful mountain, Max Patch!

Here are a couple of links to pictures and information about Max Patch, NC:
www.google.com...

www.google.com... ch-mountain&ei=oJTdUO2nD4iu8ASosoDYBg&usg=AFQjCNHpbcZNkmZsqYVXokba7IwmTpwigA&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.eWU
edit on 12/28/2012 by sled735 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sled735

That does look like a beautiful place to be,though even if you can't walk up there anymore,nothing is stopping your mind from going there.I've always thought that they can imprison your body but not your mind.Your mind can go anywhere it wants to.If I could have a wish,I would wish for you to be able to fly up there and enjoy the peace and love of this spot.I have my own secret spot that I would like to get back to myself.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimithae
reply to post by sled735

That does look like a beautiful place to be,though even if you can't walk up there anymore,nothing is stopping your mind from going there.I've always thought that they can imprison your body but not your mind.Your mind can go anywhere it wants to.If I could have a wish,I would wish for you to be able to fly up there and enjoy the peace and love of this spot.I have my own secret spot that I would like to get back to myself.

Yes, I can go in my thoughts... to anywhere I please.
It's the simple way of life I wish I could get back too.
People actually had time to visit family and neighbors, and enjoy life when I was growing up.
I'm lucky if I even get to visit my mother for an hour or two on my days off work now.
Life has become so stressful just trying to keep my head above water.
I would love to have a day to just relax on top of that mountain, and feed my soul on its beauty in person again.

Thanks for your reply.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Ahhhh....Max Patch.

I used to think I could see the ocean from there. Beautiful, indeed.

We plan to camp out there with our telescope in a year or so (when my son is older). Since the Appalachian Trail runs right across Max Patch, should be no problem.

S&F

A pic for you, Sled

edit on 28-12-2012 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Ahhhh....Max Patch.

I used to think I could see the ocean from there. Beautiful, indeed.

We plan to camp out there with our telescope in a year or so (when my son is older). Since the Appalachian Trail runs right across Max Patch, should be no problem.

S&F

Thanks, Smyleegrl.

I've never camped on top of the bald, but I know that would be an awesome experience!
I have, however, rented a house for the weekend just below the top of Max Patch. The views from there were good too, and the stary sky was "out of this world". (Ha!)

Just be careful camping out in a flimsy tent. That's where I was told a lady saw a Big Foot that made the news!

And you have your mountain lions, and coyotes to worry about also.

People say the mountain lions don't exist there anymore, but my cousin has seen them at the foot of the mountain in her field as recently as this past fall. So if they are below at the foothills, you know there are more above in the dense forest.

Another beautiful picture. Thanks again.

edit on 12/28/2012 by sled735 because: correction

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Here is the house we stayed in for the weekend at Max Patch.

Can someone embed this picture here? I still can't figure out how to do it, even though a couple of people have told me. I'm not doing something right.

edit on 12/28/2012 by sled735 because: addition to comment

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Upload the picture to your account by clicking on Tools, then uploads. On the left hand side, at the top, you'll see a button that lets you browse images. Choose your image, then click upload.

The pic now appears in your upload page. Click on the photo, underneath you will see "use pic in a thread". Copy that entire script and paste in your thread. It should work.

If you are trying to do this from a mobile device, it may not work bc you need adobe flash to make it work. A lot of mobile devices can't upload bc they don't have adobe.

As for camping and Bigfoot...that only makes me more determined to go. We will have a big fire, we will be fine.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thanks, Smyleegrl. I wasn't taking the last step required.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
That looks like a lovely place, Sled. You know me--I'm a city boy. I think sometimes people like me forget just how special it is to be out in nature with family, friends, and good food. Here is that pic:

When I was younger we went on a school field trip to this place in the valley with hiking trails and stuff...kind of out in the forest of the Sierra-Nevada Mountains. Me and one or two of my friends wandered off from the group and just went climbing up this mountain during a light snowfall. It was one of the most beautiful memories of my life. Luckily we didn't end up missing or get in trouble.

But one of the things on my bucket list is to go 'get lost' in the Sierra-Nevadas and just wander around a mountainside for a while. I don't get out to enjoy nature as much as I ought to, and there isn't really much escape here in my city either. I just want to get away from the monotony of city life, social responsibilities, and electronic gizmos that keep me imprisoned--just once in my life I want to lose myself, and find the real ME!

I doubt those park rangers would even let me haha. They'd probably transport me off the mountains for "my own safety."

Oh well, when I'm old and senile..I already know what I'm going to do..and that's to go climb the mountains of my childhood memory.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Thanks for your post, NB.

Did you see all the pics in the link of Max Patch?

I can still remember the feeling I had when being on top of that bald. It used to be a great place to meditate when I was in my teens. I would go there by myself sometimes and just sit feeding my soul for hours.

Now it has been advertised, and they routed the Appalachian Trail to go right across the top. I haven't been up there since my teens that people weren't there... creating a distraction. But, still, a wonderful place to go to experience the beauty of this great Earth.

I imagine there are places like this all over the world. I have seen some awesome pictures of the mountains in the west. I'm happy you have a place close by to visit for "soul food".

I used to say I was going to move out west when I grew up. I'm running out of time. I better hurry and pack my bags, or I'm going to miss the plane!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Since you beat me when I tried posting a pic of your mountain spot, I guess I'll show you mine! I love the pine trees in the snow. The Sierra-Nevadas are a big range though. Not sure where these pics are taken specifically, but it looks like where I want to be

edit on 28-12-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

The last time I was there was about ten years ago. Beautiful spring day, there were about twenty people there. Some flying kites, some picnicking, some just laying on the grass and watching the clouds.

Gotta go back...

NarcolepticBuddah.....gorgeous pics. Would love to visit someday.

You need to come to the Smokies. We will show you a great time. Like the synchronized fireflies in July. Camped out one year to watch it, it was amazing.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Oh, yes! Oh, yes!

Beautiful country! I love the beauty of nature. It takes away all the stress, lickidy split!

You really need to get out there, NB. You will be amazed at how much better you feel after spending a day with mother nature.

(And I need to take my own advice!)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

When I was younger the air was clear, and you could see forever!

The last time I was there it was so hazy, and so much smog, it obstructed the view that I remembered growing up.
Such a pity!

But, still, worth the trip!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Thanks for the thread Sled. I always enjoy mountain pictures. I used to have a calendar when I was younger that I would just stare at the pictures...they were a sense of calm for me...I used to pretend I was a bird that was flying over them, what an amazing feeling that must be for a bird to be able to do that everyday...me i have to get in a plane...and I despise planes or a tram (over my dead body); so, i am very envious of the birds.

BAW33
edit on 12/28/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: OOPS!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

Thanks for the pics, BAW33. Can never have enough awesome views to enjoy.

Where is that one with the statue taken? Gorgeous place!

Thanks for posting.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
That is a beautiful area you grew up in, Sled.

I am also a nature lover. I haven't been to the mountains in a long time. I used to go with my family some when I was growing up. Once we went riding through Blue Ridge Parkway on vacation. Another time we went to Cades Cove.
From what I read in the link, Blue Ridge Parkway is close to your Max Patch. It's a small world, huh?

I'm a single adult female now, so I haven't thought about going into the mountains alone.
But... looking at these pictures is giving me some motivation.

Thanks for sharing your childhood home with us.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by sled735
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

Thanks for the pics, BAW33. Can never have enough awesome views to enjoy.

Where is that one with the statue taken? Gorgeous place!

Thanks for posting.

Thought you would like that...it is in Rio De Janiero

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Thank you Sled for the beautiful pictures.....and the other posters as well!!!

Here is one I took of the Hudson River (Frozen)
Near Cold Spring, NY in the Hudson Valley. An absolutely beautiful spot. Just down the road is the West Point Military Academy.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ItDepends

Thanks for the picture. That is nice.

I didn't realize NY had hills like that around the Hudson. Burrrrrrrr.................. it looks really cold!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join