It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New (needless) Case: Woman Pushes Man in Front of Train

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Another case of, an apparently mentally disturbed person, pushing an innocent person in front of an on-coming NY subway train.

A mumbling woman pushed a man to his death in front of a subway train on Thursday night, the second time this month someone has been killed in such nightmarish fashion, police said.

The man, who wasn't immediately identified, was standing on the elevated platform of a 7 train in Queens at about 8 p.m. when he was shoved by the woman, who witnesses said had been following him closely and mumbling to herself, New York Police Department chief spokesman Paul Browne said

The woman fled, and police were searching for her. She was described as Hispanic, in her 20s, heavyset and about 5-foot-5, wearing a blue, white and gray ski jacket and Nike sneakers with gray on top and red on the bottom.

source

Maybe it's just me. But I don't turn my back on anyone who is wandering around behind me, obviously mentally disturbed, making senseless ramblings.
And I certainly wouldn't stand near the edge of the subway tracks in front of said person knowing what I know today.
136 people in 2010 died on NYC subway tracks (statistic includes accidental deaths).

I don't even live in NY nor do I ride the trains and I know better. Isn't it required for passengers to pay first and have a ticket to access the trackside area?

Here's a few tips, (in an older posts by Jason88), on survival tips should you find yourself in such a situation.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Among the more high-profile cases was the January 1999 death of aspiring screenwriter Kendra Webdale, who was shoved by a former mental patient. After that, the state Legislature passed Kendra's Law, which lets mental health authorities supervise patients who live outside institutions to make sure they are taking their medications and aren't threats to safety.

So, to make it look like serious action is undertaken, a law was passed to supervise mental health patients who walk among us to make sure they are not a threat to anyone. So is there one supervisor assigned to a hundred patients that they are expected to follow around and 'supervise' every day and night?

Really, why spend the money on that when, in the long term, spending it on a simple rail system like this would pay for itself:

edit on 28-12-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Lonewulph

I think an obvious solution is to build glass screens in front of the track with doors that open up with the train's doors. It seems the logical thing to do. Here in Hong Kong, most MTR stations, underground AND above-ground (with the exception of the light-rail stations, but it's pretty easy to climb up from those) have implemented this.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by diqiushiwojia

You would think they would have put in safety protection long ago, but it seems the transportation safety board there needs a few thousand more deaths before they can justify the expense.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
whats always interested me with mental health is why the voices pick a target, how they pick a target, what i'm trying to say is was it this young guys jacket or shoes or smell which set this chain of events in motion, why not push as many people as possible off the platform.
Mental health and mental disease along with medication is one trip down the rabbit hole.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lonewulph
Another case of, an apparently mentally disturbed person, pushing an innocent person in front of an on-coming NY subway train.

Another one I recall from a few years back...

An 18-year-old boy was arrested for allegedly pushing a 38-year-old man off a platform at JR Okayama Station late Tuesday, causing the victim to be killed by a train, police said Wednesday.
"It could have been anyone. I pushed the person who was at the front of the line," said the suspect,

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

That's all they need to do to save lives. but then again, how much is a life worth $$$

new topics

top topics

join