It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you fall onto the subway tracks, the worst thing to do is try and climb back up

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I found this survival tidbit interesting, especially for us urban folks who have to think about surviving a fall on to the subway tracks:

Fact: 136 people in 2010 died on NYC subway tracks (statistic includes accidental deaths).

If you fall onto the subway tracks, the worst thing to do is try and climb back up. The best thing you can do is run as far down the platform as you can (in the opposite direction from where the train enters the station) and wave your arms frantically to get the train operator and passenger's attention. Believe me, the passengers WILL be doing the exact same thing, as nobody wants to see you get run over and their train get delayed. If you can get to the far end of the platform, it gives the train more room to stop, and there is a ladder at the end of each platform where you can climb back up - do NOT try to climb up from where you are. So many people have been killed trying to jump back up rather than getting away from the entrance end of the station.
Do NOT trust the pits between the tracks - they are often right next to the third rail which can be just as dangerous (and note that the wooden planks are not designed to hold a human's weight - they are there to protect the energized rail from drips and weather) and the train operator is less likely to see you if you're in there. And don't duck under the train, because most stations do not have enough clearance for the average human. And do NOT jump down onto the tracks to try to save someone else.

Source: Conductor Secrectly Reveals Gruesome Side of NYC Subway

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Thanks for the tip. Thank God I don't use the trains.

I found this line an interesting indication of how the heart of humanity has changed...

Believe me, the passengers WILL be doing the exact same thing, as nobody wants to see you get run over and their train get delayed.

Yeah, without the train 'delay' people'd probably be tossing each other on the tracks just for entertainment value.

Ok, maybe not, but you get my idea.

Great post!

peace

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Thanks for the tip. Thank God I don't use the trains.

I found this line an interesting indication of how the heart of humanity has changed...

Believe me, the passengers WILL be doing the exact same thing, as nobody wants to see you get run over and their train get delayed.

Yeah, without the train 'delay' people'd probably be tossing each other on the tracks just for entertainment value.

Ok, maybe not, but you get my idea.

Great post!

peace

I had to laugh at that one, especially New Yorkers... thanks!

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

I don't believe that article. I could hop back up in about 3 seconds. Maybe they should change it to, if you're so out of shape you can't actually climb back up, then don't try.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

The article stems from a message thread on Reddit where folks were talking to a NYC train conductor, here the original source. (It's bit more messy than the article, but there's plenty of good data in there too).

As for jumping up from the NYC track, I can remember stories of perfectly healthy people who have either fallen or been pushed and unable to climb back up... I think it looks deceptively easy to do from above but in practicality it is more difficult as the wall in not flush to the ledge and your legs dangle as you attempt to climb.

edit on 20-10-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
all i can say is that i dought anybody can think logical in that kind of situation one of my freinds fell on a train track when there was a train coming we jumped dwn to get him luckily nobody died needless to say it wasnt a fun night out

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by Jason88

I don't believe that article. I could hop back up in about 3 seconds. Maybe they should change it to, if you're so out of shape you can't actually climb back up, then don't try.

I think it's probably reffering to people that don't have the physical strength to lift themseleves up that platform and the time it might consume with the train coming. Makes sense in an over weight America, but I think I'll fight the traffic instead.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tdrowe2010
all i can say is that i dought anybody can think logical in that kind of situation one of my freinds fell on a train track when there was a train coming we jumped dwn to get him luckily nobody died needless to say it wasnt a fun night out

I think that's reason to celebrate, not dying, go grab some drinks and enjoy the WALK home.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

would of done that but he landed on the third rail and went unconcious had to go to hospital i saw electric blow a hole out of his elbow
none the less it could of been alot worse

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by tdrowe2010

would of done that but he landed on the third rail and went unconcious had to go to hospital i saw electric blow a hole out of his elbow
none the less it could of been alot worse

Holy crap, yea knowing that, good call! I think I'll stick with my truck or skate board but thanks for sharing that's pretty amazing story and you guys are heros for jumping down and saving him.
edit on 20-10-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

What sort of moron would fall onto the subway tracks. There is a CLEAR yellow line with instructions not to cross.

Anyone that fall onto the tracks is an idiot and deserves what is coming their way.

god damn idiots.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I can hop up a wall that's about chest level without a problem, it's about momentum and to an even lesser extent upper body strength. If you jump, it will carry you over the obstacle. As you said though, a lot of Americans are not in good shape these days.

Put two hands on the obstacle, leap your lower body up and over. You may land on the ground in that case, but that's better than a train hitting you. Kind of like hoping a fence, only higher.
edit on 20-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

I would do it your way as well as to me the quicker the better and with a subway train coming quick is important.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Six6Six

I mean, it would be stupid if I was a famous rockstar and I got up in front of the entire country and mis-sang the words of the National Anthem... that doesn't mean stupid things don't just happen, especially to people who are not stupid. It is important to have these safety precautions just in case, and it is a bit callous that you would condemn someone to death for what may have been a simple mistake or a misstep.

Not to mention, even if someone was stupid and fell on to the train tracks because of their own idiocy, they still deserve life. Man.
edit on 10/20/2011 by spacekc929 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Thank god we have suicide pits on the London Underground, they must save many lives each year.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
How about we don't put ourselves in the situation to need to know these things in the first place. Darwin will thank you.

But thanks, got it - run and flail. Don't hop back up to safety or anything.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Don't laugh, but this mock up, below, reminds me of certain stations in NY where you have to jump then pull yourself up if you were to go down on the tracks. Other stations have lower platforms, but downtown station platforms can be high like this one. Granted my Photoshop job sucks, but I think folks get the idea... as for scale, he would probably be slightly bigger on the tracks, but not much. As for most Americans being obese, while true, folks in the North East tend be skinnier. Source on that claim, here: www.nytimes.com...

edit on 20-10-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
taggers go down these tunnels all the time and they manage not to get killed, or a majority does any way im sure 1-2 slip thru here and there

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Six6Six

Don't you mean satan Damn Idiots?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Not the best idea.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join