It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Setting yourself up, The LA gun buyback.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The reverse of why communism doesnt work; equal pay for unequal guns.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Guyfriday

Didnt mean to be rude just came off that way.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Guyfriday

Originally posted by MrSpad
Places have been doing gun buy backs for decades. No problems have ever come of it. Mostly just people getting rid of guns that are just sitting around they do not use waiting to be stolen anyway.
Yes, it is an old idea, but it got me wondering what happens to all these guns?

My main concerns are in my OP. Shouldn't a transfer of ownership be given?

To get people to turn in guns that are not legally owed, which many are not, they keep it anonymous. And they destroy them. The police do record serial numbers before they destroy them. Localy here it has been around for many years. People have a gun of no real value, have a kid and do not want to take a chance so they turn it in for gift card or such. Cops record the number and destroy it.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

so i take it your a cop, and you have seen this process through, from beginning to end? if not, you just taking the cops word as truth. I dont know if you ever lived in cali, but its safe to say that alot of cops are corrupt, not all, but most in my opinion. and ever more so in the bigger city's i remember kids i met shorty after high school that joined the police force knowing and speaking out about how they were going to be a dirty cop before they attended one class. In the end dont trust the government to take your guns no good will come of it. if anything this is a plan set up by the gun smugglers in order to make room for new stock, got to keep the money flowing right?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1MrMarc
reply to post by Guyfriday

I always assumed the guns being dropped off were guns already used in crimes. Seems like a good way to get rid of a stolen weapon that was used in a bad way. Assuming you are smart enough to not leave any finger prints.

That's exactly what i think of everytime i hear about a buy back program. The police usually have a "no questions asked" policy so they may not even check for prints. If you murdered someone why not let the police destroy the evidence for you? It would be interesting to know whether organized crime groups actively use this method to destroy evidence.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The problem with gun buybacks is that it's a profitable way to destroy evidence. If Person A decided to murder Person B, why not wipe the gun and sell it at a buy-back? They are (as far as we know) destroyed, and as such, not only do the police destroy the murder weapon for you, they give you some money to boot.

Then you have the already mentioned obvious issue, that the law-abiding citizens turn in their guns to help pay the bills, while the criminals use their weapons in crimes to pay for their expenses.

The true profit here is to buy a bunch of (cheap and lousy) HiPoints and sell them at the buybacks for a profit.

$150 (new) gun for $200, I'd take that trade, buy 20 HiPoints, turn around and sell them to the police and make $1000 in profit.
edit on 12/27/2012 by Wittmann because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join