It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quad-Core PC on a Stick $99 !!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
crap just spent 500 on a computer for my parents...should have waited a bit longer

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by dogstar23
I worry about this. If the "average home user" stops buying PCs, downgrading to laptops and tablets instead,and if the average businness user follows suit, people like me will be forced to either pay exhorbitant prices for good desktop technology, or downgrade with the rest.

On one hand, you shouldn't worry because the production capacity will be there for a while so they'll keep churning out PCs for a long time. On the other hand, if your needs become niche market, then tough.

It's sad that just as computers are becoming really, really powerful and useful, the market is ready to break them into little chunks focused on playing music, updating Facebook and Twitter, and browsing the internet.

I don't use either Twitter of FB and I hope I never will. Having said that, there are other aspects of new technology that you might consider as helpful. Cloud storage is coming of age. A lot of processing is already done in the cloud as well. Why do I need to have a heater in my room (aka the PC) just to do routine tasks?

As already mentioned, video editing, music production and heavy duty gaming are probably the areas where you need a decent desktop. And frankly all three are relatively niche.

I already store all of my media outside of PC, on small peripheral boxes with attached storage, all networked. Less energy spent, and more convenient.

I guess it is what it is, and those of us who want "real" computers will one day just have to suck it up and pay stupid money for components.

We had a good run for quite a while, so you can't complain

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Buy.com has a decent stick for $69 today.

Just to sort of correct the price point in the title of the thread.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Can get a rasberry pi for only $35 great little device im thinking of getting and loaded raspbmc and use as HTPC

edit on 27-12-2012 by 3xil3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 3xil3

The Pi started this all off 10 months ago, but look how rapidly the tech is advancing!!

Double the memory, more than twice the cpu frequency, and only $10 more.

Go for this one instead:

Link

reply to post by buddhasystem

Not a quad-core encased.
edit on 27-12-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Just wow

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
For people who think this is somehow taking a step back
here's a sneak peak of the future, now:

Epiphany IV 64-core Processor 2 watts, less than the size of a penny!

Now Imagine a 2ghz+ quad or octa core hooked up to this co-processor in a tablet.

This is just the beginning!

edit on 27-12-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Can't wait until I see the Jeff Dunham version.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
For people who think this is somehow taking a step back
here's a sneak peak of the future, now:

Epiphany IV 64-core Processor 2 watts, less than the size of a penny!

Now Imagine a 2ghz+ quad or octa core hooked up to this co-processor in a tablet.

This is just the beginning!

A tablet, phone, laptop is a step back by default. I don't get peeps who trade in the full grown desktop for a tiny workspace like that. True it's mobile, I know, I sit in front of these swipejunks every day at lunch break. Swipers are no fun at all.

When I get an E-mail footnoted like "This message was sent with my windows phone." My reply will be footnoted: "This reply was sent with my windows 7 3840*1024 pix triple screen desktop, sitting in a big chair with massage function next to an airco unit enjoying music through my 5.1 Earthquake machine."

Yes it's a downgrade.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.Wolf
A tablet, phone, laptop is a step back by default. I don't get peeps who trade in the full grown desktop for a tiny workspace like that. True it's mobile, I know, I sit in front of these swipejunks every day at lunch break. Swipers are no fun at all.

I gave your post a star, since you have a point, but listen to this:

they say "horses for courses". You seem to be trying to define users' real needs with some kind of "triple screen 10GHz" cookie-cutter. And then look like a snob with your "swipejunks". Some people do need triple screens and 8GB video card. Some don't. I don't understand why you have a problem with that.

I stopped taking my laptop to meetings because ALL of the functions I need to participate in a conference or a workshop are covered by my tablet. Including editing slides and all. It has HDMI. Plus I can skype to my heart's content.

There is no "one size fits all". If I discover that I still don't have time to play serious video games next year (I don't now), I'll be tempted to not upgrade my PC even after some years of using it.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Neh, not defining other users needs, just my own. I own a swipepad myself for counting stocks to balance my shop. Sometimes mobile is better. Even my shop is completely mobile compatible, having it's own app and all. I know what the future is going to bring. Small is the thing to go and I don't have a problem with that but... It's not my cup of tea.

In this thread linger some absolute statements concerning the need for desktops that put me after my keyboard - as my somewhat snobbish statement did to you.

Again, I actually like the way the tech is going and I'm confident I can, in time, implement it into what I expect a computer should be like. As I have always been able to.

I wont however water down my swipejunks remark. When peeps can't get eyes and fingers from that tiny screen while sitting at a table with others. -every time- There is something wrong. Me being a snob isn't it.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

>>>I THINK I'M IN LOVE!!!-- YEP, I'M DEF IN LOVE!!!

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Good find. Technology these days is growing so fast. I will def have to get my hands on one of these.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I was excited for a moment when I saw "PC" in the OP's title. I have several applications where I need something like this or the Raspberry Pi. Unfortunately, I need something that will run windows and unfortunately the search goes on.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join