It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did/do you give in charity and appreciation this Christmas?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas with friends, family and God.

I was thinking of all I have not the gifts of the season but the gift of life and, a blessed one though I suffer. I have so much to be thankful for above and beyond worldly gifts....you know what I mean..

I'm just wondering what you are thankful for.

My father didn't have much to do with my sister and I when we were Young. After my mothers divorce she remarried to a man I also call my father. He was everything to me but wasn't perfect. He was SUPER involved from putting us into parochial school, guiding us as boys, showing us how to be tougher than the world, coaching baseball from 5 years old to 18, helping a coach with my boxing, encouraging and making us go after what we wanted without fear but with dedication and follow-through.

Well at 43 years old he has come back into my life after a 25 years...and still calls me son, carries my photo in his wallet.

For this I am thankful....for being my father still, after all these years. I spoke with my real father today for 15 min....with my stepfather 2 hours. It was a conflict in my mind and after careful consideration I am so thankful and appreciative of both Men.

I am blessed, truly blessed.

I need to give back.

How did you give this year and for what are you grateful?

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I collected what they call Turkey Dollars at our local grocery store. Spend 25 dollars in the Month prior to Christmas and receive 1 dollar towards a turkey. I spend about 700-1000 per week at the store for my business and collect much more than I can use.

I gave away 40 each to 4 families I know can use them so there are 4 families with a nice sized turkey on the table this year.

When I shopped for my turkey, there was an elderly couple next to me talking about how the sizes were so different in price. They wanted a large one because they had their kids and grand kids coming home but by their conversation I could tell that they were struggling with the higher cost of the one they wanted.

I downsized the one I thought I needed and asked them if they could use the extra 20 Turkey dollars I had left over. It's like handing them 20 dollars. They were suspicious at first but helped me find the size I decided on and accepted the extra 20 dollars with a thank you and Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas!

edit on 25-12-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
This year, we had an "Adopt a Family" at my work - four boys, ages 6 to 17, brothers, currently in foster care. We got a list of needs, sizes, and wishes. You can pick and choose what to get on the list.

I got all the boys each a pair of new sneakers, a Mickey Mouse hoodie top and pants and a Sponge Bob jammie set for the 6 year old, and a regulation sized football (requested by the 17 year old).

By the deadline, we had filled all of the needs, as well as the wishes (some games) and even a whole Christmas tree, decorations, cleaning supplies and gift cards had shown up. I was so glad we pulled it off and gave those boys the Christmas they deserve!

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Sadly, apart from buying stuff at charity shops, I haven't done much for any charity for the last year due to financial hardship...

However a few years ago I was lucky and got a decent amount of money for nothing, and although the money didn't change my life (just paying off some credit card debt), I figured it could help changing someone's life... so I sponsored a child through SOS Childrens Villages.

One year I decided not to give anyone any Christmas pressies, instead I made up shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child, took pictures of the filled boxes, and gave everyone a card with the picture inside instead. I have to say - this was a great hit! Everyone loved it, and I'm sure so did the children who benefitted from the boxes.

Although things have been difficult for us financially, and we couldn't afford giving eachother pressies, we had food on the table and a lovely warm house... and that makes me feel very blessed.

Lovely to hear that your are getting a relationship with your biologial father too, kinglizard! I hope it will continue to grow - you're so lucky having two fathers in your life!

What about donating some of your time? Maybe as a Big Brother, giving a child the same sort of support that your stepfather gave you?

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Some great things done here. :Up:

I've been considering (without action yet) giving my time to some mission feeding children and families in need. I think it would be more of a personal reward than a service.....seems kinda selfish in a way when I spell it out like that. To be involved during the parts of the year people really need help would be a great blessing.

Thanks everyone for sharing.....

Two fathers that is such a great way to see things. Rather than judging a man, by dividing, I accept into my life and am thankful for both.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

I think giving time and giving money are both valuable and so much appreciated. I used to volunteer in years gone past, when I had no ability to give financially. I look back now and I feel good about my volunteer work. I volunteered at my local hospital, in the radiology department, at the Humane Society, and at the North American Riding for the Handicapped Association. Nowadays, I am tied too much to my work, so I don't have time to volunteer, but I am able to donate. I will have an automatic donation going out this year, for the first time.

There are so many opportunities - what are you interested in? You might want to check out Habitat for Humanity for some great volunteer opportunities, and learn some handy skills while you are helping others! Or you could look into the Animal Welfare League opportunities to volunteer and help animals.

Merry Christmas and bright blessings!
Gwynn

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This year I could not buy things like I would have in the past so I gave time-

I helped to serve food at the annual Christmas party at the senior center in my small town, where I do volunteer work for Meals on Wheels.

Delivered poinsettia plants to senior citizens that were donated by our local Lion's club. It was a small gift, but people seemed very happy to have something for Christmas.

Took a group of homeless people for a free holiday breakfast at a restaurant called Baja Fresh this morning. They also got fruit and meals to go. It was fun and one of the guys was named Dean Martin, just thought that was funny. I also got to enjoy the free breakfast, and it was a nice meal.

I usually do not do this much, but I was not able to be with friends or family, so I wanted to keep busy, and have some fun too! It is a nice end to a year that was not exactly great, and I hope next year will be better.

I am grateful that my daughter called at the end of the day to wish me a Merry Christmas, as she has not really been keeping in touch, great girl, long story. It was so nice to hear her voice, even if I could not see her this year for the holidays.

edit on 25-12-2012 by PacificBlue because: add text

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Everyone is so inspiring...if we could all just follow your lead this world would not look the same.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I helped collect and distribute food and toys to 150 needy families in the community. I prepared a meal of turkey, baked ham, green bean casserole, au gratin potatoes, bread and chocolate chip cookies to feed about 40 homeless people. I also helped AmVets deliver winter coats to veterans in need.

It feels good to be helpful.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
I helped collect and distribute food and toys to 150 needy families in the community. I prepared a meal of turkey, baked ham, green bean casserole, au gratin potatoes, bread and chocolate chip cookies to feed about 40 homeless people. I also helped AmVets deliver winter coats to veterans in need.

It feels good to be helpful.

You rocked! Not so much the curmudgeon on this, eh?

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

Hey... don't tell anyone. Okay?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

It was wonderful to read about all of the good things that people did this holiday season. And I agree, the world would be much different if everyone remembered to do something kind for someone else.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I realize this is probably an unpopular answer, but I rarely give to charities because I personally feel better about intentionally using that money to instead support local, small businesses. As a small business owner, myself, I understand the amount of work and pressure entrepreneurs need to carry in order to improve their local economy, provide jobs, offer better services to their community and support their families. Supporting your local businesses, in my opinion, does as much good - if not much more - than donating to the average charity.

new topics

top topics

join