It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question for aussies about guns

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
Getting 'a gun' is not all that difficult. But for the average law abiding (more or less) citizen, getting a gun that shoots straight, does not jam or is useful is quite difficult. You can not get hold of a gun of your choice nor could you get a semi-auto.

You would also have problems getting ammo. You need to have a gun license for ammo.

The only real option is to wait for SHTF and then take one from the bad guys. Getting hold of a damn good scoped hunting rifle in almost any caliber is easy with a license.

P

Do you even know what a semi auto is? 95% of all handguns are semi auto aside from revolvers which are normally 6 shot. Are you trying to say most of your guns are muskets? I find it interesting how people think semi auto is unusual.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Revolvers are semi-auto.
And more like 98% of pistols are semi-auto.

ETA: Unless you don't count double-action revolvers, I do.
edit on 12/25/2012 by GunzCoty because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by GunzCoty

No semi Auto also refers to reloading which is a mechanical function by rechamdering a round.. Revolvers are refered to as revolvers or repeating firearm.

a firearm which automatically reloads, but will only fire one round per trigger pull Semi-automatic rifle

There is

Automatic
Semi-automatic
Repeater ( revolver) single action and double action
Bolt action
Lever action
Pump action
Breach loading
Musket

I think that covers it.

edit on 25-12-2012 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
Well lets put it this way... it's essentially impossible just to get a gun [legally] to keep in your home to protect your premises, unless you get a gun license, which typically requires membership at a gun club. I'm sure some one will expand on this more, I'm not 100% certain how it all works because I've never attempted to own a gun.
edit on 24/12/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

ok but im really more curious about illegally.. again because its not law abiding citizens who commit mass murder

Oh but it is. Otherwise, what crime has one of these people committed, to claim they are criminals before they destroy lives?

They are legal right up until they break the law. Which is only after it's been accepted that they are otherwise normal citizens with access to guns.

I wouldn't know where to go to get a gun down here. I do know of a few places that have legal guns, but they want to keep their legal status and don't just hand out shooters to the first rambo that comes along.

And by saying that I am in no way saying I don't know the sort of people - used to know - who do.

So my instant brain snap will not result in my grabbing a gun and offing the neighbours.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by wewillnotcomply666
Guns are pretty easy to get in Australia . Walk down to any biker clubhouse or most tattoo places with a few bucks and youl leave with what you want lol.

Hidden camera, youtube, you're a star.

Annnnd Action!

(prove it..)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

Originally posted by wewillnotcomply666
Guns are pretty easy to get in Australia . Walk down to any biker clubhouse or most tattoo places with a few bucks and youl leave with what you want lol.

that is what i assumed.. i wanted people to put the gun control debate aside and just say yeah i could get one if i really wanted one

Apart from the fact he's full of shine..

Yep, bikers hanging out in their clubs with neon signs flashing over the door "Guns Cheap", the hooker standing next to the fly screen giving you a look up and down, as you shake your way past the tattooed bikers with their beards and muscles... quivvering you walk up to the shaded doorway and a voice booms "What is it you want."

"A gun, sir."

"A GUN? A GUN?"

"Yes sir."

"That'll be $5.80 thanks, would you like some meth with that?"

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

But a revolver does reload.
Repeater, is acceptable, but I like to think of any gun that can fire multiple times with each trigger pull as semi-auto.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

Originally posted by pheonix358
Getting 'a gun' is not all that difficult. But for the average law abiding (more or less) citizen, getting a gun that shoots straight, does not jam or is useful is quite difficult. You can not get hold of a gun of your choice nor could you get a semi-auto.

You would also have problems getting ammo. You need to have a gun license for ammo.

The only real option is to wait for SHTF and then take one from the bad guys. Getting hold of a damn good scoped hunting rifle in almost any caliber is easy with a license.

P

Do you even know what a semi auto is? 95% of all handguns are semi auto aside from revolvers which are normally 6 shot. Are you trying to say most of your guns are muskets? I find it interesting how people think semi auto is unusual.

God, you are ego driven. Yes, I am fully aware what a semi-auto is. The bad guys will not sell you a pistol, they do not have enough for themselves. They may sell a revolver. They may sell a pistol that jams or is of a low calibre. They will not sell you something half decent.

Most guns you can buy or steal are bolt or lever action rifles.

Has it ever occurred to you that neither the Police nor the criminals want citizens armed. Both groups want things just the way they are.

Perhaps your statement that 'people think semi auto is unusual' is more to do with how you think rather than the knowledge base for the rest of humanity.

P

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

It is more because I have many from the anti-gun crowd argue with me insisting fully auto and semi auto is the same. You just stated that people you could get a gun from would sell you one that jams do you not understand that jams occur with semi Auto weapons so you admit the statement you made was initially false. 90% of jams that occur in weapons are not due to the way the gun is made but because people do not keep the guns properly cleaned and lubricated. I have never heard of a bolt action jamming unless it was in sub zero climate.

If I come of harsh it is because many people including yourself seem uneducated about the weapons they are talking about.

I am thoroughly surprised by many of the statements made by the anti-gun crowd they on whole have demonstrated time and time again an extreme lack of knowledge about the subject they abhor. It would be in there interest to at least know the basics of firearms when stating their case. There have been more than a few people that have stated that they could obtain a firearm if they so desired in Australia which seems to say that the thing stopping such an incident as SH from occurring there is not dependent on the availability to legally own firearms.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by GunzCoty

But a revolver does reload.
Repeater, is acceptable, but I like to think of any gun that can fire multiple times with each trigger pull as semi-auto.

Actually they are two distinctly different types of guns. Semi-automatics will always have a slide action and are either clip or magazine feed with reloading. Revolvers are referred to as revolver, repeating, or wheel gun.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
If you walk into any biker club here and ask to buy a gun, you'll most likely just get thrown out, or thrown out with a few bruises.
Unless you know someone well that's in a club you won't get jack..

Most tattoo places? Yeah.. Right.. A lot of tattoo joints are biker owned, or affiliated.

I've had more undercover cops try to sell me glocks than any biker I know lol.

And yeah, if I wanted to get a glock or 2 I could, if I wanted a semi auto rifle I could also. But I have no need for such things, and people are so heavily monitored these days it's not worth it.

And ammo? It's not that hard to get a hold of, as most guns and ammo are stolen from security companies.

I prefer my legally owned and licenced Remington hunting rifle

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Obtaining an illegal firearm here is very possible, how ever ammunition will be the main problem. Once you have practiced off your stash in the Country somewhere how do you replenish ?

To obtain a legal firearm such as an F Class high powered Rifle all you need ehre in WA is 2 letters from Farmers with decent sized property's and you should get one no problems so long as you dont have a criminal record and are a Citizen.

To obtain a Handgun you have to be a member of a Club and there is waiting periods of 6 months club membership plus a minimum of 6 months membership to an association like SSAA before you can even apply for a pistol.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

ok but im really more curious about illegally.. again because its not law abiding citizens who commit mass murder

Actually, most mass murders are committed by people who were law abiding before they committed the mass murder. Of course they are not law abiding when they perpetrate their crime.

Before the Gun buy-backs and tighter restrictions were introduced in the late 90's Australia had something like 15 or 16 mass shootings in the previous 10 years. Since then there have been ZERO.

The statistics for other crimes involving guns is ambiguous, some studies show an improvement, others no difference, but there is no doubt that it has made an impact on the mass murder shootings.

The tighter restrictions have worked in Australia.

edit on 25/12/2012 by rnaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Getting a gun in Australia is nearly impossible if you dont
have some kind of contacts. But getting caught with an illegal
gun is more what id be worried about.

And to answer the question i for one wouldnt have a clue
how to obtain one.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
FYI: the following are the general restrictions on weapons in Australia (from Wikipedia: Australian mass murders):

After the 1996 Port Arthur Massacre where 35 people were killed and 23 wounded the Howard Government introduced the following restrictions:

Semi-automatic rifles and pump action/self-loading shotguns were banned from civilians and a genuine reason was required for all other firearms. Both a firearms license and a buyers permit are necessary to legally purchase a firearm. Furthermore, an acceptable reason must be stated on the permit for buying the weapon, and a minimum 28 day "cooling off" period must be enforced before the issuing of the license.

After the 2002 Monash University shooting where a student shot his classmates and teacher, killing two and injuring five, restrictions were introduced on pistols:

Pistols restricted to .38 calibre and magazine capacity restricted to ten rounds maximum unless under special circumstances. Furthermore, pistol barrels are restricted to a minimum of 120 mm (4.72 inches) and revolver barrels to a minimum of 100 mm (3.94 inches) to make pistols harder to conceal.

More specific detail and a discussion of the efficacy of the controls on gun related crime can be found here: Wikipedia: Gun Politics in Australia

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Getting any sort of self-loading weapon in Oz is likely to be near impossible these days (auto or semi-auto) but legal firearms are still accessible eg. the nearest retail gun store to me is within walking distance and I'm eligible to purchase one if I wanted but I have no need for a weapon here in suburbia (things were different when I lived in the highlands with plenty of venues for sporting shooting but I have never felt the need for a firearm for self or home defense). What's happening now is that many crimes involving guns are committed with weapons & ammo stolen from the legal owners via burglary.

For someone hell-bent on getting a weapon in a hurry in Oz these days their best bet would be the hardware store and improvisation.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
And if you really want to know...BB guns are Illegal in Australia, except in South Australia, where they must have a maximum fire speed of 150 Feet per second and the orange plug in the end.
A police friend of mine, Will confiscate BB guns from citizens, as they look too "Real" to a lot of police.

A recent episode of the US "COPS" TV show, had an incident with a young guy at night brandishing a BB gun in the streets, people called the cops and he nearly had his head blown off for pointing his BB toy.
The Cops correctly berated the young guy and luckily his mother was on their side. They confiscated his BB toy gun.
Of course the kid and neighbourhood was African American...luckily the cops were too and any problems were averted. I wonder how many kids/young folk have been shot because they were toting a toy gun????

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by gort51

You can’t even have a BB gun in Australia.
That is just ridicules. I think I have heard it all now.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

You can have an air rifle (being a single shot weapon) but it's subject to the same regulations as rifles IE member of a registered shooting club / farmer etc. I considered that to be over the top myself at the time but there are air rifles (and CO2 types) available with more power than a small calibre conventional rifle. Those 'BB guns' were once considered toys and kids roamed the streets with them not all that long ago.

If you consider that extreme, crossbows and slingshots (especially the wrist braced types) are also heavily controlled now. I think it's still legal to have a non-braced type slingshot in Queensland but most likely only until some kids make enough of a nuisance of themselves with them.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I don't know anybody who could get me an illegal gun.

My country is solid.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join