It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan temple damaged in tourist 'apocalypse' frenzy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Who cares.. ?
oh you mean tourist money is at risk..
ahh i see now. let me cry for the Mayan murders of children..

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
The interdimensional space lizards must of been pissed off, they were getting human sacrifices a few eras back now its people on substances and a few cheeky bonfires. Quetzacoatl probably calls them the good ol' days, heartless snakey bastard.

Lol.

There is a humorous irony to it all though - believing the temple has higher powers attached to it then proceeding to then ultimately disrespect it and leave it in a worse off state. If I was there I would of just meditated into a deep zen state or some #.

edit on 24-12-2012 by DazDaKing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

Your post strikes me as odd. I say this because you seem upset by the damage done (and by logical extension, reverent toward the ancient ruins of the maya) and yet you say this was over "some event that had no base at all in reality... "

This, to me, shows a strange disconnect. You're reverent toward the stone work of the maya, but show no reverence for their culture or beliefs? Regardless of whether it had any significance to you or not, Friday was supposed to be the end (last day) of the long count, an event significant to the maya. Some may argue that the date (as correlated with the gregorian calendar) is off, but the maya taking part in the ceremony didn't seem to think so. As such, this was a real event, with an actual basis in reality. Just because the world didn't end (something that seems to be mostly the speculation of white men) doesn't mean this wasn't a significant event with a basis in reality.

Though I do share in your dismay over the idea of great ruins being..well... ruined.

Maybe worth pointing out, though, that if this was supposedly damage done by people climbing the stairs, I very much doubt that's an activity solely related to the end of the long count. I'm sure tourists do that kind of thing year round. So megalithic buffs may be just as much to blame as end-of-the-worlders.

Furthermore, I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that most of the people at that event did not actually believe the world was going to end, or anything catastrophic like that. Most of those people were either partying, or holed up somewhere "safe."

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by g0dhims3lf

Sure.
I'll just take this little rock. No one will notice.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Pirateninjah

If it's irreparable it's probably something more than trash. If I were to speculate I would tend toward guessing that "souvenirs" were involved. But that is just speculation.

What would be gained by providing pictures?

if those solid rocks survived there for thousand of yrs
then im pretty sure it survive a couple of humans in a party mode lol

its like trying to damage the great pyramid of Giza
without bombs and missile i dont know how its possible
edit on 12/24/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Their own people exploited their own heritage (and have for many years) and bill it like THIS www.globalpost.com... to milk as much money as you possibly can... What do you expect?

Looked like that temple was lit up like a Christmas tree and was essentially billed as a Party-

I dont know. its sad but as some have pointed out "irreparable damage" could be anything like a chipped stone since it can never REALLY be repaired as it was... But its also sad the way the commercialized and tried to capitalize on this "Party"... And Elton John??? Really???

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join