It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So what lessons were learned from the 2012 failure?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Now that December 21 has come and gone we have to ask ourselves what have we learned? I was watching a show on 2012 just yesterday about websites selling 2012 supplies and it was obviously people are/were cashing in on the hysteria surrounding 2012. There were, and still are, multiple cable shows about Doom and Gloom, Preppers, 2012 various tribulations. It seems this was a big money maker for a lot of folks.

People on this site are obviously looking for hidden meanings beyond what the MSM produces. I wonder what we can take from this 2012 debacle. Could it be the government and MSM media making anyone, who prepares for a cataclysm, out to be kooks or is this simply the sheep fearing the wolves and working themselves up in a lather about nothing. I understand the yearning for something cataclysmic to come along and change the status quo, but believing it really strongly doesn't make it so - obviously.

So was the 2012 phenomena created by a ground swell of the people or crafted by elites? I tend to think it started small but was driven by peoples hopes for change and fed by the almighty dollar seeking salespeople. Does it make those that do prepare feel stupid enough to stop preparing completely? Or, like a hurricane that is over-hyped but sputters out to nothing, make those in the path of the next "BIG ONE" yawn and smirk at those fleeing a mandatory evacuation.

V

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Here is what i think , i think many people now will ignore a possible even in the future , because "nothing happen"

TPTB 1 humanity 0

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I learned that people are stupid.. and people love writing these types of posts the "i told you so posts" which is also stupid...

I also know from experience that you can never be to careful and being prepared for things is smart whether is happens or not, you should generally be prepared for natural disasters or other things that could happen at any time..

Likely this world would "end" without any notice so being prepared to possibly save ur life would be a good idea..

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I think people should be prepared in the event of total catastrophe. It doesn't hurt to prepare and learn new skills that could help you and your family survive.

But I also think people need to stop focusing on and spreading hysteria about these supposed "predicted dates".

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by chaoticborders

i learned that laughing so hard hurts your guts

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The lessons were learned long ago by marketing experts.
Fear and it's accompanying paranoia is a proven model for advertising in America.

The next "catastrophe" to prepare for.....the weather and specifically...drought; accompanied by the ever popular "them A rabs is gonna eat our babies"

edit on 22-12-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
and people love writing these types of posts the "i told you so posts" which is also stupid...

I disagree.
Every single one of the "told you so" posts is educational.
Reinforcing the idea that people shouldnt easily believe stupid garbage, like they did.

Every believer out there who is unaffected, learns nothing.
Every believer out there who is embarrased and shamed, has learnt a valuable lesson, and is less likely to be scammed and cheated in the future.

You learn by your mistakes. Being "nice" or politically correct and avoiding letting people know that they have made a mistake, is NOT helpful.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Nothing will be learned from it .. people will just migrate to the next great impending doom thread and propagate whatever conspiracy comes from it without requiring any facts... This is how it's always been here =)

Did it end when Comet Elenin didn't destroy the planet? no
Did it end when both of the rapture dates came and passed? no
Did it end when Dec. 21st 2012 came and passed? Nope!! there are now some saying it will be tomorrow instead, one person in a thread suggested it's 2017!

So no we'll still be seeing posts about this.. and when this finally does fade out, there will be something similar to replace it.. people seem obsessed with the end of the world stuff.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
My 1st post on the 2012 date - just led me to wonder why it got so carried away, exactly.
Who turned it into a world-ending catastrophe, and why?

There were far too many crazed, angered, defensive, derailing, posts. Flooded is an understatement.
I would hope we know by now people are paid to drive agendas online.
Since the msm was onboard with the same, or very similar agenda, it makes us go "hmmm..." is all.
ATS would be a site where agendas could thrive. Throw in twitter, fb, easy as pie if enough are involved.
Just made me and a few others I know wonder why, exactly.
Just sayin'.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I learned that the S is always ready to HTF.
Just be ready for it. Whatever life throws at you, be on your feet.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I learned that no matter how many times members are warned not to do something they always do it..

Springer's note on I Told You So Posts

Just sayin

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
1 has learned that many feel swamp gas is clearly methane?
No matter how it intelligently dances with the Starz...

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Here is what I posted on the forum that I administrate. I think it is relevent to this thread.

OK, so I have been waiting a long time to write this. Now that the 21st has passed and we are all still here I believe this message is more important now than ever. So here it is.

Nobody, Nothing, and no higher force is going to save humanity from it's own downfalls.

We as human beings are responsible for our own actions. Therefore we are responsible for our own futures. No aliens are going to save us. Would you save us if you were an advanced race? I wouldn't. No spiritual transformation saved us either. No disclosure came about giving the people more power. People, if we want to see change in this world then we must bring it about ourselves. We have to come together as a people in order to advance our species. The elite around the world keep trying to divide and conquer us. For many years it has been working. Right now in America they are hard at work dividing us over the second amendment to our constitution. The more divided we become the more power the elites gain over us.

By now it is clear that they want to get the guns out of our hands here in America. All we have to do is look to history to see what happens when a populace allows themselves to be disarmed. The thing about our constitution and our bill of rights here is that we have a strong amendme4nt to protect them all. If we lose the second amendment not only do we lose the right to protect ourselves but we also lose the ability to protect the remaining rights that we have been granted by said constitution.

Ladies and Gentlmen, we must band together if we wish to gain peace for our civilization. It is time to put the prophecies behind us and begin to focus on the issues that affect our very lives. We must stand up to the elites and tell them we will not be ruled. We will live as free human beings and we will not let them dictate the tempo of this world any longer. Lets take the focus so many have put into the 2012 myths and make something positive out of it. Let us unite with the common cause of freedom.

Here in America we have been losing freedoms ever since 9/11. Most of those freedoms have been given away by the American public in the name of safety. We must not let it continue. We must stand in the face of tyyrrany no matter how painfull and no matter the sacrifice. We must rebel against the status quo of this world. We must do so in a peaceful manner. Violence is only nessasary if in the defense of yourself or innocent people. Violence is and always will be a last resort.

People we can change this world for the better. We can regain control. It is not impossible. The time is now for us to work together. Spread knowledge to those who will listen. Raise the bull# flag when needs be. Just please stop sitting around and waiting for someone or something else to do our dirty work. We are all equally responsible for the postition we find ourselves in. It is time to wake up and it is time to act.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

I like the message usmc0311 and its logical... 1 does however feel some have been here in the past guiding this species in positve directions. No matter what you call them or the MOST HIGHEST who sends them to assist 1 feels their presence is real and the interaction direct with general populace may be held back by human negative activty against itself not loving itself enough yet. But a date factoring accurate planet spins around Sol within same exact distance since? 1 considers. Again positve encouraging post
appreciated but not alone

NAMASTE*******
edit on 12/23/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

You may be right. They may come after guns. I tend to think that is a losing battle for the Dems all around. It didn't work out for them very well last time. Everyone who owns a gun who ins't insane or have insane children know instinctively that these mass shootings have nothing to do with gun ownership. Why would we let insane people make policy for the non-insane?

The second amendment is about people being able to stand up and defend themselves from anyone. It's not about hunting, as most of us already know.

I think that the 2012 fiasco shows that normal thinking, logical people are FAR to quiet about kooks and wackos and the bilge they spill out of their mouths. We really need to wake up and realize some people are very liable to go off the deep end given the right push. When we see something or someone who could be dangerous, we should be more suspicious. Many people tend to not want to get involved, mind their own business, and that lets crazy SOB's get to far along in their spiral down.

People need better Bull# meters. They need to be more involved. Good people need to get off their asses and act. I think most of us, whatever your beliefs, can get behind that.

V

V

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I have a thread in which I am trying to give pointers to people on how to avoid making mistakes such as the hoaxes posted in the 2012 forum.

The goal is to post pointers such as looking at the dates of material that is posted. I'll be explaining that shortly in the following thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
People will believe what they want to believe. There's no helping some people really.

Maybe we should just leave them be. Think of it like Darwinism for the weak minded.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Variable

What it's taught me is that there's a very clear line between the cynic, and the optimist, between the ignorant and those who are seeking enlightenment, between the apathetic, and the change agent, between the dead, and those who are being resurrected to new life.

top topics

join