It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chief Justice Rehnquist Hospitalized with Cancer - 80 Years Old

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Guess what undecideds? Social issues and SCOTUS appointments do matter.

CNN.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Supreme Court Chief Justice William Rehnquist, 80, has thyroid cancer and is undergoing treatment at Bethesda Naval Hospital, two senior government officials told CNN.

He entered the hospital Friday and is in intensive care, sources said.

His previous health problems have included back and knee problems.

Rehnquist has served as chief justice since 1986 when he was nominated by President Ronald Reagan. He joined the high court in 1972 when he was nominated by President Richard Nixon.

His previous health problems have included back and knee problems, according to The Associated Press.

Let's hope he improves, but this is almost certainly one of the Supreme Court Justices the next President will replace.

CNN is saying no plans exist for the Chief Justice to step down anytime soon, but they're speculating as many as FOUR Justices will now be replaced in the next four years.

New narrative: This is now a huge election issue.

No doubt that's true on both sides of the choice issue, among others.

If this doesn't get the 22 million (overwhelmingly pro-choice) single women who are registered to vote, but don't vote... to vote, nothing will.

I feel bad for the 16 million single women that didn't bother to register.

[edit on 25-10-2004 by RANT]

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
you are correct...when I roll my dice, Kerry isn't even going to be one of the options anymore...

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Guess what undecideds? Social issues and SCOTUS appointments do matter.

I'd be a lot more concerned if it was one of the moderate justices. Rehnquist is anti-choice, anti-labor, racist...worst case scenario, he's replaced with someone just like him.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
you are correct...when I roll my dice, Kerry isn't even going to be one of the options anymore...

If you're voting then on the matter of reproductive rights, does that mean you have a one-sided die Valhall? Or is there another anti-choice option besides Bush on your ballot that's not on mine?

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I hope the cabal doesn't off the old guy before the election. I wouldn't put it past them. Gotta ensure W. gets to replace him before Kerry takes over.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
ECK, you honestly think that someone would want to off a supreme court justice just so someone can replace them? man, you are one sick puppy. I would not wish this on anyone.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrsdls
ECK, you honestly think that someone would want to off a supreme court justice just so someone can replace them? man, you are one sick puppy. I would not wish this on anyone.

Lighten up. You do have a sense of humor, right?

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
RANT

I'm actually a pro-choice advocate on the FEDERAL level (now on the state level it's a whole nother argument)...that's not the main issue that bothers me.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Sorry about that, I get tired of all the hate and bitterness over this election. I may support one canindate and point out inconsitentcies in the opponent, but I do not wish any harm on anyone. I have read a lot of threads where people with different views tend to want to see someone die. If this was meant as a joke, then I apologize for going over the edge.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Sorry about that, I get tired of all the hate and bitterness over this election. I may support one canindate and point out inconsitentcies in the opponent, but I do not wish any harm on anyone. I have read a lot of threads where people with different views tend to want to see someone die. If this was meant as a joke, then I apologize for going over the edge.

I was just being absurd. No worries.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I would not wish this on anyone.

Cancer is awful. I have lost a few friends to cancer and I had
the honor to take care of the mother of my best friend when she
was dieing of cancer. Cancer is pain and sadness. I wouldn't
wish it on anyone either.

I'll be praying for him. I hope he goes home to God gently and
without pain.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Guess what undecideds?

Do you really think there are any?
If anyone is undecided ... I can't see why.
The candidates positions are very clear,
and they are all very different.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Why not, a quick look through papal history might just lead one to believe that it's the "Godly" way, I suspose....

Just kiddding, for the most part....

but, to those of the far right, and far left, the stakes of this election has just gone up, which means the insults, negative rhetoric, lies, and posibly violence will increase also.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
the insults, negative rhetoric, lies ...will increase also.

Is that even possible?

I don't think I have ever seen
things like this before. It's so ...
so ... I don't know ... but I don't
like it.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Guess what undecideds?

Do you really think there are any?
If anyone is undecided ... I can't see why.
The candidates positions are very clear,
and they are all very different.

There are some, but to your point I do agree. Most "undecideds" won't be moved by this or anything short of a 2" by 4" to the head.

But what about "California Republicans?" Or so called "Reagen Democrats?"

You know the type. They agree with Democrats on practically everything, but vote for the smooth talking Republican because he makes them "feel good." Or like I was saying people that just think voting doesn't matter like young single women. It does, and this one vote will determine the next 30 plus years of Supreme Court direction and the rest of some people's lives.

An overwhelmingly ideological conservative court LEAD BY SCALIA deciding who can marry and who can't, who can govern reproduction and who can't, who's votes and religions count and who's doesn't... isn't going to make them "feel good" anymore. And you can't "fix it" in 2008 if Bush/Moon/Cheney/Falwell/Robertson get their way in the next four.

It matters. THIS election matters. And what this should do is make people that want to pretend a second term Bush isn't going to do everything in his power to outlaw all abortion at the FEDERAL LEVEL, think twice and think hard before pulling that irreversible lever for President on Nov. 2.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
By living with deeds that lost by a vote of two to one ( Id & superego vs. ego ), yet you did them anyway.
I can imagine that definition of cancer driving up the oncology practices of resident DC doctors once this NeoCon movement is defeated & sent back to hell.

[edit on 25-10-2004 by Bout Time]

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The Supreme Court's possible upcoming vacancies does make this one of the most important elections ever. Although I've always been a Republican, I do not want to see a court dominated by the Scalia mentality. It's dangerous, to say the least.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   

New narrative: This is now a huge election issue.

No doubt that's true on both sides of the choice issue, among others.

If this doesn't get the 22 million (overwhelmingly pro-choice) single women who are registered to vote, but don't vote... to vote, nothing will.

I feel bad for the 16 million single women that didn't bother to register.

That is all the more reason for Bush to be re-elected! We need to get a conservative SCOTUS, a liberal one would be a disaster for this nation!

I am scared as hell , but I am thankful Bush will win.

[edit on 25-10-2004 by edsinger]

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Yep, that's all this Democracy needs; a fascist-packed court. They would go nicely with heir ASScroft over at the Dept. of inJustice.

I'd love to see how all these loony far right-wingers would feel and how they'd howl if a truly left-wing candidate (moreso one of color) was elected. What if they grabbed this kind of power and were threatening to dissolve the need for marriage, raise taxes on everyone, etc. etc. etc... They wouldn't like it one little bit if the whole power thing was flipped. And yet they think its perfectly ok to shove their white, fascist agenda down everyone else's throat. The GOP has become just as disgusting and corrupt as the Democrat party has ever been.

Proves one thing: no one party should ever have control of all three branches of our government. None of them can handle it. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
Yep, that's all this Democracy needs; a fascist-packed court. They would go nicely with heir ASScroft over at the Dept. of inJustice.

I'd love to see how all these loony far right-wingers would feel and how they'd howl if a truly left-wing candidate (moreso one of color) was elected. What if they grabbed this kind of power and were threatening to dissolve the need for marriage, raise taxes on everyone, etc. etc. etc... They wouldn't like it one little bit if the whole power thing was flipped. And yet they think its perfectly ok to shove their white, fascist agenda down everyone else's throat. The GOP has become just as disgusting and corrupt as the Democrat party has ever been.

Proves one thing: no one party should ever have control of all three branches of our government. None of them can handle it. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

So you are calling me a white Facist huh? Really slick there...

Just because I am a conservative Christian, you want to call me a facist? Do you even know what the hell a facist is? A white facist at that.....

As a Christian, all I can say to you is , God does love you, but you have to accept him into your heart, get rid of the hate...it WILL COMSUME you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join