It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Problem with Firearms…

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
…is that they exist.

(Yes, another gun related thread, sorry.)

If there were a petition we could sign that would have all the guns in the world, and all knowledge of guns, magically disappear, you can bet your sweet apple-bottom that my name would be on it. (I’d miss trap/target shooting, but I could still hunt archery)

Unfortunately, however, no such thing exists. Guns will never, ever go away, no matter how much one might wish.

With that said, my .40cal pistol will be on my person wherever I go. Not because I fear an attack that may or may not happen, not because I entertain thoughts of “playing the hero” and –get this- not because my county’s constitution says I can; (legally). I carry because I know that there exists in this world two things: other guns, and those of whom that would seek to impede the human rights of others. I believe, like many, that every human has an inherent right to any and all means necessary to defend his/her self. In this day and age that generally means guns.

So, moving on to my point, I ask those of you who would have an all-out gun ban to understand this:

I, and many others, will simply not submit. It just won’t happen. Even if the authorities went from door to door collecting guns, people like me would hand them one or two claiming that was all we had. We would become a part of the black market without intending to do so (forced by law). Unfortunately, due to circumstance and the combination of human error and the nature of the black market, guns that would have otherwise been in the hands of law abiding citizens, would eventually be sold to lunatics and criminals alike. Guns and gun violence will not go away because a piece of paper in D.C. makes firearms illegal to possess. That is to say, nothing would change but the law, folks… effectively, and unjustly, making people like myself -who just want adequate means to defend ourselves- criminals for the first time in their lives.

If an all-out gun ban were to occur in America, I believe a decrease in gun violence would be marginal at best due to a few fundamental and inexplicable flaws within our system and economy. There are a lot of things we need to reevaluate, as a country, in order to curb the violence. I mean, look at the general direction we’re headed

Up. Why? Nothing has changed on the gun “front”. What is happening to America to cause this upward trend of mass shootings?

Think about it.

If someone wishes to harm another, they’re going to do it. If someone wishes to harm many others, they will find a way to do it… and likely in a way you would not want to imagine.

Source

That’s it. I hope you were able to follow my convoluted thought process.
This was my first thread by the way… aside from my intro.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
First of all. as tragic as each loss of life is the number killed by mass shootings is still small relative to the population. Second, the historical record in other gun confiscations (ie Armenians in Turkey) shows that gun owners have been tortured to reveal their hidden guns (and if suspected of having any forbiden precious metals at the time then an even greater incentive to use "truth compliance" measures). Third, if you study the UN documents and white papers (some of which are now unavailable)....it isnt just the "guns" that they want. They want to expunge the "gun culture" and the "warrior gene" from the population. A fighter without a gun will still find a way to resist authority and they want to eliminate that from the gene pool. Something to think about when the tangential subject of "population reduction" is added to the conversation.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Generator85

Up. Why? Nothing has changed on the gun “front”. What is happening to America to cause this upward trend of mass shootings?

You'd be surprised how many people honestly believe that "guns of today" are somehow superior killing machines to guns of yesterday. I dont know what exactly they think is different between an AR off the shelf today compared to one 60 years ago but they really think this.

AK's have been the same since 1947. AR's have been the same since 1957. The 1911 is one hundred and one years old.

Nothing about the guns has changed. They dont fire heat-seeking exploding bullets and cant shoot around corners. For all civilian semi's the rate of fire hasnt changed in well over 100 years.

Of all the variables people seek to control or blame the gun is the one constant that hasnt changed so to focus irrationally on the gun is to ignore the real problems.

Of course the real problems would require us to look into the mirror and that's something this modern society simply will not do. So they go grab themselves a scapegoat to sacrifice on the altar of tyranny.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

I agree with your first.
As for your second... not so much. Unless of course we all registered our guns.
Sounds kinda like you're already defeated. I say fight it all the way regardless.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I blame Hollywood for that misconception.

top topics

join