It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever met a saint?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
And by saint I don't necessarily mean the halo, the levitation and stigmata (although it would be cool to know someone who did) or even someone worthy of higher honor or venerated based on religious or superstitious accomplishments. No hearsay, no cult or church recognition, just your own first hand experience, instinct and judgement.

I mean someone particularly generous or an incredibly unique role model, maybe an ultra wonderful teacher or a very kind, benevolent person. Someone vastly different from the rest of the people you know. An everyday person who inspires you in the purest of ways.

I'll go first. It was an 8 y/o child who had AIDS back in 95 when we used to visit ill children. This creature was suffering the most terrible symptoms of immune suppression and the vile drug effects to treat her disease. However, not ONCE did I hear her complain about her obvious pain. She always had a smile on her face and even though she would sometimes vomit violently after eating or (have a short seizure), after it was over she would smile again and go back to whatever she was doing. When someone brought her a present or flowers or even food, she would always share it with all the other children first even if that meant giving up her own piece or the last flower. She would try to help ants, spiders and even cockroaches out of harms way so other children would not step on them. She would sing for the other children. When she finally passed it hit me really hard and I haven't been able to visit ill children again, but she did inspire everyone around her to become a better person.

What about you? Ever met a saint?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by lupodigubbio

After seeing brother here, I have not met anyone whom has come close to his model. Genuine love without conditions for all. He has set the foundation for all, but many have not grasped what he has left behind.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
If you live in Australia you would be aware that St.kilda Australian Rules Footballers are called Saints, one of my mates used to play for them and I have met quite a few at club functions. So yes I have met many Saints.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Sorry about my poor attempt at humour, I dont know if you would classify this as saintly it was certainly good will.
My Great Grandfather who was a boot-maker by trade and had his own business during the great depression of the 1920's often gave homeless people who were often shoeless the shoes off his own feet, from this he was nick named hop harry as sometimes he arrived home home with only one shoe.
As far as I have been told he often gave people food as well, so maybe not quite a saint but good hearted at least.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

By your definition I think I know a saint.

He is physically magnificent—7feet tall, extremely fit, excels at every single sport, good looking, and possibly the smartest being I've met. But therein lies his paradox.

Despite being endowed with qualities that many would kill to have, he is charmingly unaware of his potential power. He is the kindest and deepest of souls. He stands contemplatively sturdy against any chaotic wind. He has never said anything malicious nor unkind against anyone, especially those who would see him harm. Animals flock to him, and people naturally love him. Being solitary in nature, he is often lost in his art, his music, his carvings and I can witness first hand the pure creativity and beauty this man generates. Of course, by him seeking solitude, one can tell he's an introvert but you would never tell in a social setting, as he always holds himself with grace.

He lives life as if it was an adventure. He faces death with every extreme sport he attempts and does so in the most artistic fashion, and then he reflects on it, stores it and utilizes those great memories to live life always fulfilled. If he was dogmatic—which he could never be—he would devise an ethical system so precise that it would suit everyone, not just himself or his kind. I've caught him being charitable, but he would never admit it. The man is almost suspiciously humble.

He is the only one I can speak openly and candidly with. We discuss things from logical analyses and paradoxes to what we share as dreams and aspirations.

I could never hate humanity knowing that this man was a part of it. He is a saint.

Cool Thread.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

By your definition I think I know a saint.

He is physically magnificent—7feet tall, extremely fit, excels at every single sport, good looking, and possibly the smartest being I've met. But therein lies his paradox.

Despite being endowed with qualities that many would kill to have, he is charmingly unaware of his potential power. He is the kindest and deepest of souls. He stands contemplatively sturdy against any chaotic wind. He has never said anything malicious nor unkind against anyone, especially those who would see him harm. Animals flock to him, and people naturally love him. Being solitary in nature, he is often lost in his art, his music, his carvings and I can witness first hand the pure creativity and beauty this man generates. Of course, by him seeking solitude, one can tell he's an introvert but you would never tell in a social setting, as he always holds himself with grace.

He lives life as if it was an adventure. He faces death with every extreme sport he attempts and does so in the most artistic fashion, and then he reflects on it, stores it and utilizes those great memories to live life always fulfilled. If he was dogmatic—which he could never be—he would devise an ethical system so precise that it would suit everyone, not just himself or his kind. I've caught him being charitable, but he would never admit it. The man is almost suspiciously humble.

He is the only one I can speak openly and candidly with. We discuss things from logical analyses and paradoxes to what we share as dreams and aspirations.

I could never hate humanity knowing that this man was a part of it. He is a saint.

Cool Thread.

He is the most interesting man in the world.

Stay thirsty my friends.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Why desinated yourself as a saint. Anyone can be a saint just bestow yourself the honour. I just bestowed myself a saint. Yesterday i was a God. Tommorow i will be the messiah. Its easy when you know how.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
bet you didnt know there is a saint of the internet...

In the mid 2000s he was declared the patron saint of the Internet by the Vatican.[12][13] He is also the patron saint of computers, computer users, and computer technicians.[14] The University of Dayton has named their implementation of the Sakai Project in honor of Saint Isidore.[15]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

jhill,
what about Ghandi?
The Dalai Lama?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by jhill76

jhill,
what about Ghandi?
The Dalai Lama?

Yes, along with mother thresa and countless others. As you know, I am closer to brother.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I *am* a saint.

The bible refers to all Christians as saints.
Saints as pious, venerated creatures is the creation of the Catholic church, and is not a reflection of the teaching of Jesus or the Bible.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I met a Saint Bernard once. Does that count?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   

The Biblical definition of a saint? Yes I have, thousands of times.

The Catholic Church's version of one? Nope, not once.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The story I could tell.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24
I *am* a saint.

The bible refers to all Christians as saints.
Saints as pious, venerated creatures is the creation of the Catholic church, and is not a reflection of the teaching of Jesus or the Bible.

That's what I always thoughts: Saints as pious, venerated creatures is the creation of the Catholic church.

My professor in religions class asked us this question:
There needs to be 2 miracles in order for someone to be called a saint by Catholic standards. Mother Theresa has one more miracle to be deemed a saint. However, it was shown that in her journal, she struggled with the existence of God during her days as a young missionary. My professor proceeded to ask IF Mother Theresa should hold the title of saint although she has had one miracle and struggles with faith.

My response bordered around your thoughts: Why does Mother Theresa want to be called a saint? There's a difference between the world's definition of a saint and a real saint. I also went on to say that although Mother Theresa was struggling with her faith in God, she loved the people as she lived a frugal, humble life while serving the people with their pains. Her struggling of faith was not really subject to question because if she loves people, she loves God.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DelayedChristmas

According to the NT a saint is merely a sinner saved by grace.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Well, you won't really know who a saint is until resurrection day, and they are those who will be raised up from the dead or raptured. Those are saints. Am I a saint? We'll find that out depending on when i get raised up, before or after the Millenial reign because the wicked get raised up last.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DelayedChristmas

Rome has a tendency to preach their opinions and not the Torahs. Such as assuming Mary into heaven, no biblical proof she was resurrected whatsoever. They also outlawed reading the bible for nonclergy and declared it a sin during the Dark Ages and were preaching their own interpretations of scripture verses what the scriptures actually said. Then there's transubstantiation of Communion which is an abomination and consuming blood is forbidden per Council of Jerusalem, so they took the symbolism of taking the teachings of Christ into ourselves at Communion, to actually eating him and drinking his blood (vampirism) which is sorcery and blasphemy.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
My mother.

For real, greatest person in the world.

new topics

top topics

join