Well, the world didn't end and now we can honor the day for what it's for; YULE! Winter Solstice is important in its own right. Today, we will have
the shortest day of the year and, starting tomorrow, the Sol will be getting stronger and stronger until Summer time.
This is the time when the Holly King (Santa) begins his departure to make way for the Oak King. So tip your hat to the dark solar god and welcome in
the one of light. Both are needed for continued harmony on Earth.
When Samhain came, I gave some ideas
of what to ponder and what to do for activities.
However, with Yule, there is already a Christian analog of Christmas and many of the traditions are similar so that would seem a bit redundant. All
of the good will and brotherly love you are to exude for Christmas, you are to also express today.
So for some religiously-neutral additions on how to celebrate this Yule, here are some basic guidelines:
- Frankincense and Myrrh are both great to have for incense and they also can be used again for Christmas as it also has a connection to both of these
- Decorate the house with any outdoor wilderness. Pine cones, mistletoe, etc. Again, these will blend well with the upcoming Christmas.
- Make a wreath out of outdoor things if you have time to spare.
- However you do your "thing" (pray, meditate, magic, ect), concentrate on a peaceful planet in harmony.
- Donate food and/or clothing if you can.
- Feed some outdoor animals (observe local wildlife laws before doing this!)
- If it doesn't push you over the "this is making me uncomfortable" line, light some red and green candles and hold a vigil for the passing of
- I think this year it would be appropriate to continue that vigil for the children of Sandy Hook and all other children who are lost each year.
Bless their passing, as well.
If you want to see how Santa relates to the Holly King origins:
- Santa is the Holly King
- His sleigh is the Solar Chariot
- The eight reindeer are the eight benchmarks of the year (sabbats)
- Their horns represent the horns of the spirit of nature
- The North Pole represents the Land of Shadows where the solar year was sleeping but now returning
- His presents are to welcome the Oak King.
Of course, the identity of Santa is not important (he likes Christians, pagans, and many others)
So, there's a summary of ways you can celebrate no matter what spiritual path you follow! So... HAVE A BLESSED YULE, ATS!
edit on 21-12-2012 by Cuervo because: Decorations!