It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Question Of Guns Is A Simple One:

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
No, the statistics show that gun related crime in Australia has FALLEN, therefore they ARE SAFER than they were before the law was changed.

Since the gun buyback in Australia...

Armed robberies UP +69%
Assaults with guns UP +28%
Gun murders UP +19%
Home invasions UP +21%

Since guns were bought back from "law abiding citizens" in Australia, it only goes to logic and reason that these staggering statistics are the result of those citizens who do not abide by the law. This goes to prove that the old saying is tried and true: "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns".

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou
In an ideal world, guns wouldn't and shouldn't exist - they are a force of destruction after all.

HOWEVER, having said that, answer me this Americans -

"Do you trust your government to have arms whilst you do not have any?"

Especially with acts like the Patriot act popping up..

I feel 100% the same.

We just can't trust our leaders anymore since everyone is blinded with money and power.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I believe that I have rooted out your problem...

I wrote of praise for heroism with generalities, and possibilities. A situation that might have had a totally different outcome, with the proper training and disposition.

But you read, gun nut, cowboy, weak and powerless, wants to slap a gun in a woman's hand, and scream in her ear to SHOOT, SHOOT!!!

Perhaps you are not capable of reading and comprehending simultaneously???

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Underworlds

Originally posted by detachedindividual
No, the statistics show that gun related crime in Australia has FALLEN, therefore they ARE SAFER than they were before the law was changed.

Since the gun buyback in Australia...

Armed robberies UP +69%
Assaults with guns UP +28%
Gun murders UP +19%
Home invasions UP +21%

Since guns were bought back from "law abiding citizens" in Australia, it only goes to logic and reason that these staggering statistics are the result of those citizens who do not abide by the law. This goes to prove that the old saying is tried and true: "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns".

Excellent point, one i made in September with the same vid & stats located here:
Watch what happens when Guns are banned in Australia

Also, check out Gun Facts 6.1

Not that i'm trying to send traffic to an old post of mine, but these arguments have been argued before. The 'protectionists' refuse to look at the facts & the most recent historical proof that 'gun control' does not work, and that it in fact increases violent crime rates.

We cannot un-invent the gun, so there will *never ever* be a gun-free world. The very best we can do is ensure that *every* law-abiding person has the means to defend themselves. I may be able to physically beat off an attacker, maybe 2, but my wife sure cannot, nor can my father. BUT, they can both use a firearm.

And i've got another old saying, "God made men, but Sam Colt made them equal."

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

People think evil changes, it does not, it just conforms with the time. Tyranny, greed, and power still remain. History is repeating itself and it is disgusting that people let it because they want to be "safe".

IT IS YOUR responsibility to keep your children safe and to protect your property. It isn't the government's or the police.

People just want give me, give me, give me.
edit on 21-12-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The way I see it, the so-called "question of guns" and of our rights to keep and bear Arms boils down to the fact that the day may surely come where our need for the gun outweighs all other needs. The day may come when we, as individuals or as groups, are faced with an enemy intent with doing us physical harm, or even killing us. When that day comes - and it has already come to me more than once - having the firepower adequate for defense of our very lives trumps all whims and fancy thoughts of a gun-free Utopia.

I wake up every morning, like most other men, and dress for work. Before leaving my home, there are two things that I make certain I have with me. On my side, I carry a fully loaded firearm ready to be used, if needed. In my coat pocket, I carry a pocket copy of the Constitution - the only weapons permit that I really need.

In my twelve and a half years of business ownership, I have had the need to produce my firearm on multiple occassion to thwart robberies and to defend others being attacked by armed assailants. Because of my rights, and my exercise of those rights, there are several people alive today who might very well have died years ago.

At my business establishment, I offer cash discounts to any and all persons that open carry firearms on their persons. I don't care if they are law enforcement officers or just the random gun rights activist. If they carry openly in my establishment, they are rewarded for their courage to exercise their rights. AND, in exchange for the discounts that I offer... though other businesses on all sides of mine have suffered robberies at one time or another, my business has never been robbed. Why? Because the bad guys of society know that people within my establishment may very well be armed and ready to stand against them.

An armed society is a polite society.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
A gun for me represents the ability to say NO and give it some teeth.

A Gandhi-esque approach to resistance is the best way to go but you need solidarity, complete
solidarity. Here in the US we have none...we are so distracted we can't agree on anything.

And while passivity may work on a personal level--you can choose not to fight, or give your
possessions to your robbers, or cooperate with your rapist--I'm just not built that way.

I enjoy having the means to draw a line in the sand and say 'this far and no further'.
A gun gives me the means to defend that line

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Johnny Redneck and his Chewin Tobacco Gang are no match for the US military. There's no "stopping the government" with armed citizenry.

Question for ya. Who do you think makes up the military? a majority are from the southern states,And they did a poll. the only ones remotely willing to fire on americans are the marines. That leaves alot of people turning against merican government and dragging their weapons along with them. You really think the US could not turn into a vietnam for the feds?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

Johnny Redneck and his chewing tabacco crew, come in all shapes and sizes and ethnic groups. The thing is most on here could be part of that chewing crowd. Not all who have firearms are rednecks and not all red necks have guns.
Least you forget the military is made up of folks just like you & I. Johnny Rednecks and all other races & ethnic groups.

A Northerner who is pro 2nd Amend would probally lay down his life for his southern comrade if the Government committed some violence aganst him in the name of taking your firearms. I would stand by anyone no matter your race, creed, religion, or lack thereof, who stands by and protects our 2nd Amendment rights. When it comes to this issue we are all the same. Our rights shall not be infringed upon.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

Good point, yuppa. Note also that the news announced about a week-or-so ago that the U.S. government is going to be forcing staff sergeants (E-6) out of the military. These are the men and women most likely to have first-hand knowledge of what it takes to survive in combat situations. They are the men and women who keep the soldiers alive when all else appears hopeless.

I mention this because you cite the fact that a lot of people are turning their backs on the American government and dragging their weapons along with them. These sergeants being forced out of the military... they too have good cause to turn their backs on a government which turned its back on them. And, as they do so, I wonder if our good friend DaTroof realizes these sergeants may very well be standing side by side with Johnny Redneck if drastic times ever call for drastic measures.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
The claim that ordinary citizens can't face a modern army is ludicrous.

It ha been proven time and time again all over the world that a standing army has one hell of a problem with local guerrilla fighters. When one side wears a uniform and EVERY body else can be a potential combatant then it makes it a lot harder.

Is one guy with a Mini-14 a match for an M1 tank or a Blackhawk helicopter? Of course not!

If you even considered such a match up you would be insane. BUT, those guys have to get into those machines and out of them eventually. Their supply lines have to get through, they have to sleep. They will be camped in OUR towns, sleeping in tents around OUR towns.

Just because many of you don't have the guts to even stand up for what you believe other than posting stuff on the interweb don't think for a minute there are not people out there who will stand up for themselves and have considerable experience tracking and hunting all their lives.

I would take one country boy who has tracked, hunted and worked hard all his life over a young city boy who the Gubment trained to shoot a gun and can't make a decision without being told what to do.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Kinda like the Taliban and all the other tobacco chewin desert rednecks we have been fighting since 2001
Over in Afghanistan

I will say this any military or tactical leader worth his salt would never under estimate an enemy never ever

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Forgive me for straying from the subject, but I'm willing to wager that you know the words to "A Country Boy Can Survive" by Hank Williams, Jr.

Nice post, and I agree with you 100%. I served in the Army, Air Defense Artillery. One thing that is certain is that country boys who were raised with a shotgun or rifle in their hands from the days before they stepped out of diapers and into trousers are usually the best bet for standing his ground, taking out what gets in his way and improvising ways and means for accomplishing what the near-sighted see as being impossible.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

reply to post by Mike.Ockizard

So these people NEED guns because it's in the Constitution. It's law, right?

So if a law gets passed banning guns, they should fork them over as law abiding citizens. If they don't, they are now criminals in possession of deadly weapons.

So it's not really about the Constitution at all, it's about fear.

Like I said, wont happen

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Not really true. The militias these days around the world are armed by other governments. If they werent, they would get crushed pretty quick

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

So these people NEED guns because it's in the Constitution. It's law, right?

So if a law gets passed banning guns, they should fork them over as law abiding citizens. If they don't, they are now criminals in possession of deadly weapons.

So it's not really about the Constitution at all, it's about fear.

For some odd reason, I feel compelled to respond to the lunacy of DaTroof's remark quoted above...

You are absolutely incorrect in everything that you stated here, DaTroof. The Constitution for the United States of America is and will always be the highest law of the land. While nationals of foreign countries take oaths of allegiance to king, queen or dictator, it is to the Constitution alone that the American swears allegiance when donning the uniform of office and taking up the responsibilities of that office.

If a law gets passed banning guns (in America), we law abiding citizens SHOULD NOT fork over our guns. To do so is to acknowledge the authority of a decision which is Inferior to the Law as set forth in the Constitution.

You state that we would be "criminals in possession of deadly weapons" if we don't comply with such decisions (which you call "laws"). You are wrong for the mere fact that any and all such decisions to disarm the public are Unconstitutional and, therefor, unlawful within themselves.

In the end, DaTroof, this issue has nothing to do with either the Constitution or "fear". It has everything to do with the basic human right to be adequately equipped to defend one's life, the lives of loved ones, and all of that which is ours by right and heritage, against attack and invasion.

Let's put it into simple terms so that even the feeble of mind can comprehend...

If a bear is charging down upon you, or maybe a cougar or rabid dog, you have the right to defend yourself against that animal. In fact, you have the right to defend yourself against any predatory or otherwise hostile animal which you may encounter. Well, like it or not science has proven without a shadow of doubt that humans are animals too. And yes, the human animal can be predatory, hostile and violent as well, some even more so than our counterparts which walk on all fours and wear coats of fur.

The law of the jungle applies today, as it always has... survival of the fittest, by whatever means possible... even by the gun.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join