It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

T Minus 40 To Solstice.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
From Springer's thread advocating Civility after the passing of the solstice, which he thought might have had something to do with timezones, but hey none of us are perfect and we all make mistakes.

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by citizenx1

Nothing - all I'm saying is that the time zones have nothing to do with the actual solstice, that's all, I was being playful, joking around, but it's still an unknown, at this point in time (don't expect anything to happen though, please don't assume, thanks).

More re: what time

The Mayan's prediction was based on the phenomenon of solstice as the turning point of alignment, and it's

December 21st at 11:11 GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) aka UTC (Coordinated Universal Time)
en.wikipedia.org...

What happens at the solstice?

The North Pole is tilted furthest away from the sun at the solstice. (Illustration not to scale)
The December solstice occurs when the sun reaches its most southerly declination of -23.5 degrees. In other words, it is when the North Pole is tilted 23.5 degrees away from the sun. Depending on the Gregorian calendar, the December solstice occurs annually on a day between December 20 and December 23. On this date, all places above a latitude of 66.5 degrees north (Arctic Polar Circle) are now in darkness, while locations below a latitude of 66.5 degrees south (Antarctic Polar Circle) receive 24 hours of daylight.

The sun is directly overhead on the Tropic of Capricorn in the southern hemisphere during the December solstice. It also marks the longest day of the year in terms of daylight hours for those living south of the equator. Those living or travelling south from the Antarctic Circle towards the South Pole will see the midnight sun during this time of the year.

On the contrary, for an observer in the northern hemisphere, the December solstice marks the day of the year with the least hours of daylight. Those living or traveling north of the Arctic Circle towards the North Pole will not be able to see the sun during this time of the year.

www.timeanddate.com...

So here is the official 2012 Countdown Clock to the moment of Solstice

www.december212012.com...

which uses your computers internal clock to display, so you don't have to worry about calculating for your particular timezone.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Extra informational context (from the same thread), just to be clear in my communication, so as not to be misunderstood, in hindsight. LOL

Originally posted by citizenx1

Is the calculation of the end of the Mayan calendar don't you know? What does it mean if anything, who knows, but me I'm always praying for a new age of reason or of spirit informed by reason.

I know the date is the end of the calendar but is the calendar based on the solstice or is this just something someone has made up to give people a time to focus on?

No they started out with this end date, because from that region this solstice is the point at which the rising sun first intersects the dark rift of the galaxy (which is really nothing but dust and gas excluding our view of the galactic center (even though we're not really aligned with center). To them it was the cosmic vagina of a birthing process, in their cosmology and creation mythology, nothing more.

Is the calculation of the end of the Mayan calendar don't you know? What does it mean if anything, who knows, but me I'm always praying for a new age of reason or of spirit informed by reason.

I know the date is the end of the calendar but is the calendar based on the solstice or is this just something someone has made up to give people a time to focus on?

No they started out with this end date, because from that region this solstice is the point at which the rising sun first intersects the dark rift of the galaxy (which is really nothing but dust and gas excluding our view of the galactic center (even though we're not really aligned with center). To them it was the cosmic vagina of a birthing process, in their cosmology and creation mythology, nothing more.

At least there is some basis for the claim relating to timing which is better than people expecting something to happen bang on midnight in their location!

Oh yes, big time - for the Mayans, because this moment of intersection was to occur far in the distant future, when the solstice sun would begin to rise across the dark rift in the galaxy, for them within a cyclical view of the cosmos. and calendar, it was more than a birth but a conception AND birth, because the sun, as in most heliocentric religious systems, represents the generative principal of verility, so it was really the whole kit and caboodle for them and their cosmology reflected that fact. And their start date and end date do intersect the larger "Great Year", where we are at the end of the long dark winter, so it's spring in many more ways than one, like a solstice squared and squared again.

So why would they bother with the "after age"? It's an unknown, but to them, from their perspective it looked like a new creation, and the manifestation of the tree of life. No one to this day however really knows what they were referring to when they spoke of the "return of the fifth sun", which MIGHT relate to the star Sirius which precedes differently from the rest of the fixed Zodiacal signs.

So the whole premise of the OP (Love your website Springer, so don't shoot me for saying this) is based on a faulty premise with respect to simply being right or wrong, but then again there's a lot of ignorant hype out there regarding this date and I myself used to buy into it - loved talking it up back in the 90's! lol but on the other side of it, of this particular solstice, yes, there could very well be some meaning and significance assigned to it if only in the form of a collective sigh of relief, look around - what now? To stop and look back on history, and look around at the dead civilization we inhabit, the dead culture, the dead "world" and ask ourselves the question - is this worthy of us, of who and what we really are? that's really quite something very special imho.

To have the opportunity to get to DO that together is an absolute MIRACLE in my books, and so with that let me just say

Merry Christmas and Happy New Age!

NAM

edit on 21-12-2012 by NewAgeMan because: accidentally called Springer, Skinner, thought it might be wise out of respect for this site to get the owners name right! LOL

Originally posted by maryhinge
anyone know of the next date yet ?

The next one would be when the Zodiacal sign of Aquarius intersects the solstice, representing the end of the age of Pisces. That's another "Great Age" or cycle and it occurs at some point within the next 40 years (need to start researching it LOL).

It's just the galactic cycle of life within which our sun is immersed, but let us never forget the rather unique cosmological configuration involved in our earth-moon-sun relationship, which is rather astounding when you start looking into it ie: as a starting point why at this moment in earth evolution our moon's circumference perfectly eclipses that of the sun from the perspective of an observer on earth.

I think we're fast coming into a new understanding and recognition of our true place and standing in the creation, not as mere things or specks floating around but as something intrinsic to the very process of evolution and life itself ie: as created beings made by design to become ever more consciously aware and self realized - contrasted or differentiated from a purely materialistic, newtonian, linear "thingness" POV, which may be and likely is, a false reality, a false worldview and paradigm. If so then let that world come to an end, because it's days are already numbered anyway - why hang on to the dead bones of a dead civilization or try to suck the marrow from them, if makes no sense at all. We were stupid, we were insane - that's the cosmic joke at the end of time and history capable of saving the whole world.

edit on 21-12-2012 by NewAgeMan because: edit

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Well, I am drinking. Fairly heavily, I might add. If an end of the world scenario strikes, I will be in a little bit of trouble.
The equinox can wait for me to sober up.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
why make another 2012 thread
just reply to the one you are quoting from

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Discuss..?

Or is everyone chicken and hiding under a table, or fearful of ridicule?

For Pete's sake this is ATS and we can talk about whatever we want without fear of ridicule.

I think this moment is kind of cool and that tomorrow's collective sigh of relief is significant - makes us stop and take stock of things, as we both look back and forward, and go WTF!?

My hope and prayer is that eventually we'll all just start coming to our senses.

It's a wonderful time to be alive don't you think?

I have zero concern about this btw, as you can tell, but as some might um ASSUME represents something else, let them pile on - bring it on!

In fact, I'll still be making a post or two here even over the holidays, if the forum owner and mods will let me, because there's something to talk about - because it's significant, even if only as a marker, and God willing a turning point.

Best Regards,

NAM

edit on 21-12-2012 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by xszawe

I wanted to talk about it here in the 2012 forums, I'd said enough in there, and it's a different type of thread with a whole different context - it's ATS Business, but this is the 2012 Forum where the thread belongs, and I'm here to say that not only am I unconcerned about the time, but about the nature of the ridicule, which is actually in the final analysis born of ignorance, not understanding, and I for one happen to think that's rather amuzing.

But don't worry, we'll keep it civil, at least I will.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Wow 30 Minutes to Live.
Oh Well... If the time has come....

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Pedro4077

Star. You're funny!

Glad you're here with us, at this moment.

tick tick tick....

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Heading out for a final cigarette, brb.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
So what time is the world suppose to end? I keep hearing different times.....and I will say here in Virginia it is windy as hell! ...the wind actually woke me up. But...I do not believe in the doomsdayer stuff, so I am going to now make a pot of coffee!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Meldionne1
So what time is the world suppose to end? I keep hearing different times.....and I will say here in Virginia it is windy as hell! ...the wind actually woke me up. But...I do not believe in the doomsdayer stuff, so I am going to now make a pot of coffee!

15 Minutes

15 Minutes

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I am in Australia, 15 minutes to go and I am hearing the odd gunshot. We do not have gunshots in Australia very often. I hope no one is thinking of a party.

I think I will get my Katana and perhaps the short one as well.

P

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Only 12 minutes left guys... Cant believe were almost here, waited years for this

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Pedro4077

Well damn! I better drink my coffee quick!!...maybe I should add some baileys for a little kick and go out with a bang! ...heheheh....aren't all the planets suppose to be aligned today too?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

T Minus 11

It's a good time for a fresh perspective, at the very least..

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
It is like waiting for 12 midnight on New Years Eve, except worse.

9 minutes

P

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Maybe it's a suicide ? ..the sound of gun shots would make me nervous.not that it's the end of the world, but some lunatic is going crazy! ....Be safe!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Oooooh I'm all excited!!! I don't know whether to put the kettle on or not???

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
7 mins to go, i am getting excited now

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by upgrader

It's like waiting for an item to end on eBay...

Countdown Clock
edit on 21-12-2012 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

EDIT: I feel as though I should put my coat on?

edit on 21-12-2012 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join