It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets just ban all the guns... it would solve everything

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1littlewolf

If guns were illegal there would be less of them and therefore less chance of them falling into the hands of those who would commit such crimes with them. People go on about self defence or whatever but here’s a few sobering stats.

Again, I am neither pro or against guns I just dont buy that making guns illegal is the panacea to violent crimes like what happened in CT.

Drugs are illegal criminals still use and sell them. Drinking and driving is illegal yet people are dumb enough to think "hey I drank 10 beers and I can go drive"

Illegal won't prevent a criminal from committing a crime.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Check my 1st post in this thread. The USA not only has the highest rate of gun related homicide in the world but it also has the highest rate of gun ownership in the world. Do you think this is simply just a coincidence?

Making guns illegal = less guns overall = less chance that guns will be used to commit a crime.

What part of this equation does not make sense? The statistics I posted paint an undeniable story. Are you simply gonna just ignore these because it doesn't fit with your beliefs? You cannot compare gun related homicide to any of the other crimes you mentioned because most people don't keep illegal drugs around the house on the ridiculous notion that the government will turn on them. And illegal drugs usually aren't the most effective weapon to gun down 20 kids with.

I'll put it another way. If the making things illegal doesn't work at all would you then be comfortable decriminalising the use of illegal drugs and allowing people to drink drive? It would definitely free up plenty of time and money so that the cops can spend more time policing all those other laws that don't work...

edit on 22/12/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1littlewolf

Making guns illegal = less guns overall = less chance that guns will be used to commit a crime.

If this was a new country and no guns were in distribution then yes I could say but lets apply it to the real world.

1. Making something illegal has already proven to not be a deterrent. See every single idiot waste of flesh in the world that has driven while intoxicated.

2. Just making them illegal does not remove them from circulation so whats the plan there?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I like the fact that you can hear gun fire before being shot and know the direction that the bullet came from. I like the fact that gun fire warns everyone in the house and neighbors that something occured.

Imagine if everyone ran around with blow guns and bows. If your house was being robbed you and your family could be killed in the middle of the night and no one would ever know.

So yeah I think the title of the op answers so many questions.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Originally posted by opethPA
If this was a new country and no guns were in distribution then yes I could say but lets apply it to the real world.

I do agree it will not be easy, especially in a country like the states. But it can and has worked before. Australias last major massacre was in 1996. After this the Australian government outlawed assault rifles and instigated a buy back scheme. No bodies kidding themselves that it has completely removed every gun, but those that are left are rarely seen and used even less because otherwise they would be confiscated. Since that time the two main crimes associated with firearms (robbery and homicide) have actually dropped.

1. Making something illegal has already proven to not be a deterrent. See every single idiot waste of flesh in the world that has driven while intoxicated.

Maybe not, but at least the authorities now have the power to act. Amongst the many things I’ve posted which you’ve chosen to ignore was this question in my last post. Care to answer it this time

I'll put it another way. If the making things illegal doesn't work at all would you then be comfortable decriminalising the use of illegal drugs and allowing people to drink drive? It would definitely free up plenty of time and money so that the cops can spend more time policing all those other laws that don't work...

2. Just making them illegal does not remove them from circulation so whats the plan there?

For starters it severely limits the amount of new firearms entering into that circulation. If a buy-back scheme is instigated then this will remove possibly a few 100,000 or maybe even a few million, and as stated above those who refuse to participate generally hide their weapons so effectively they’re removed from circulation as well. Hiding these weapons also removes them from the home (in Australia most of those who’ve kept their weapons have them buried in PVC pipes out in a back paddock somewhere). This will more or less prevent firearm accidents within the home and make it a lot harder for some anxiety teen with a gripe about school bullies to get their hands on them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join