It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon spider discovered making decoys of itself to ward off predators

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Amazon spider discovered making decoys of itself to ward off predators

A unique spider in the Amazon rainforest was recently spotted using bits of leaves and dead insects to create larger-scale decoy spider shapes in its web, which it uses to ward off predators.

“I’ve seen a lot of weird things in the Amazon, but this one definitely stood out,” science educator and biologist Phil Torres, who made the amazing find, told Raw Story. “It’s not yet certain that this is a new species — it really looks like it, and it probably is — but that’ll be confirmed soon. As far as the behavior, it’s definitely not something anybody else has seen.”

Well this is quite amazing actually. This behavior seems off the charts of what I would have expected. It's like the spider is self aware...and building images of a larger spider. Wow....had to share and see what others thought. I hope you enjoy this story...

Peace.

Raw Story

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
This is really cool but somebody posted about it yesterday.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 20-12-2012 by JackyMenace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Well so much for the search function tonight. I got nothing. Must be the 2012 voodoo. Thanks for the heads up.

Interesting spider no doubt.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

top topics

join