It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do I work for a five year old, or did I do wrong?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I work for a small company, that is owned mainly by two people.

So, this time of year, it gets decided whether we get raises, bonuses, what have you. Nice if you do, that’s for sure. I do payroll and all that entails, so they let me know what to do.

So, I get called to an office, I’m handed the bonus sheet (Yeah!) and told to have them ready for the afternoon.
As I am getting them ready, I have a question, regarding someone under me. I have to work up a bit of courage, as it is regarding the amount. Mind you, I would never question it, if I wasn’t told it was ok to ask questions. I go back to said office to ask.
While the reasoning is being explained to me, I am asked a question about another employee. I hesitate. The hesitation is jumped on, and more information is asked for.
Basically it comes down to this. “I’ve been told this employee has made great improvements, do you think so?”
Crap. Here comes the honesty. “Every other employee has caught this employee doing what they were going to be fired for before.” “Everyone is very frustrated and doesn’t want to say anything for fear of repercussions.”

So, boss reduces said employee’s bonus.

Repercussions:
I have not been spoken to for two days by the other boss. Why? Because the employee discussed is related. Closely.
I feel this is ridiculous behavior for a boss. Yell at me, call me in the office and ask me why, whatever. Really, your just going to play the “I’m mad at you so I won’t talk to you” game?
What is really going to make me mad, is that at the Christmas party, It will be all smiles and blah blah, like everything is fine.

Oh well, not like I’m the first employee to get this treatment. After 17 years with the company, I should be used to crap like this. To be honest, I love the company, ALMOST everyone that works here, and for the most part we are treated very well.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Adults are considered adults based upon age and not mentality.........As long as you feel you were honest and did what was right, I wouldn't worry about it!
It is easier to live life without guilt, than to fight the rest of your life questioning past decisions.......

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I personally think it was not your call to doubt and try to correct it. Sometimes Bosses sees things a bit differently than others , they might see potential in some workers and throw them a carrot. Now the Carrot was taken away from him/her and your Boss ends up thinking that "maybe i am too generous " and next year no one get carrots.

Your or anyone elses personal views about co-workers shouldn´t influence in the decisions your bosses do. Some people we like and some we dislike.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Yes, the boss that is playing the "Not Speaking" game is acting like a five year old. Don't sweat it though- the tax man cometh in a few months and since you do payroll all will be forgotten. Money trumps kinfolks every time!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

don't worry with that crap dude, don't u know ?

its the end of the world !!!!

get out and go party or came to my party.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Sorry to hear you have to deal with kid crap at work, My work isn't any better, if you a lazy piece of crap but like to talk the boss loves yo and lets you get away with anything you want, example one employee miss's a day of work every week, every week. Not a word ever said, People that bust their ass keep their heads down, get work done and have companies best interest in mind get treated like dog ish, example IMO best employee we have wanted to take a week off work ( had the vacation time mind you) to go with his church that he is a pastor or prayer leader, can't remember specifics, at on a gathering of other followers of his faith in California, Boss said no one can miss that much time during busy season told him no screwed him over on plane tickets and everything.

I love working for a small business you at least get to look the guy that controls your fate in the face, instead of some corporate ceo sitting in a desk god knows where, down side favoritism runs rampant. It funny though because most of the time the people they love end up screwing them over at some point, Guy here used company card to buy bunch of computer to resale online got caught and the owner cried walking him out the door when he fired him lol gives me a head ache.

If you haven't guessed im the head down work hard type lol

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

If you had your chance to say something but kept it to yourself, then you'd be disappointed in yourself. Better to let somebody else (the other boss) have a problem instead.

One thing I've noticed is that life is like junior high school. People don't change that much, especially people who are inclined to be shallow and non-reflective. Don't worry about what happened.

Just so you know, I also had a peek at my company's bonuses this year. I work in IT, and the office manager had a problem sending the form to the payroll company. She asked me to have a look and see if something was wrong. The file was corrupted and I had to re-type the information.

There were people far less competent, far less creative, far less resourceful than I am, and who nonetheless got better bonuses. No one ever asked my opinion on any of them. I decided there were political reasons. Nothing you can do about that; that's the kind of thing they never ask me to fix. Consider yourself lucky. You had an opportunity to say something....

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

I think maybe you miss read something I wrote? I wasn't even questioning the amount for that particular employee.
Then I was asked about another. Trust me, it had nothing to do with personal feelings. It was a certain action/behavior by this employee. This had been reported in the past and is a FIRING offense.
The only reason this person wasn't fired before, was the other boss begged for one more chance for this person.

I Honestly feel bad for the boss I spoke with. He is caught between a rock and a hard place.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

If other boss begged another chance this boss has seen some potential in this person in question, IMO this decision should have been between the bosses. I can see you feel bad about it as you got involved with, people do make mistakes everyone of us.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

LOL There is no potential.

It's his son.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

You should have said it at the first place ! That explains his behaviour too. Now watch your own tail as the other boss might get angry

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I know, but I had to be careful, just in case anyone from work were to come to this site and read the original post. I doubt it would happen, but just covering the rear.
And yeah, he is mad, which is why he is not speaking to me! The last time another employee reported the son, they did not get spoken to for a month.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

It's his son.

nepotism sucks

top topics

join