It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What role does testosterone play in the mass shootings?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
All of these mass shooters (and including many that are not mass) are young men (20s). Obviously the mass shooters anyway have mental health issues but surely there are as many insane young women out there as there are young men; so it begs the question, what role does testosterone play in these mass killings (I prefer to say "killings" rather than "shootings" as killing refers more on the result, the deaths, while shootings focuses on the instrument, the gun)? Are there any relevant studies out there than anyone is aware of? If not, does anyone not think that this angle should be investigated (not that it will matter probably as gun laws cant be gender specific)?
edit on 20-12-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

I have been in some hairy situations and or fighting and I would say adrenaline plays a much more significant role than testosterone would play. Just my opinion though.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
the patsy's chosen for these black ops killings do not seem to be over charged with testoserone.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Umm, I'm not giving them my testosterone, either! Testosterone may make a man act more aggressively, but the disconect between killing innocents and being more aggressive is huge, none of these shooters appear to be avid body builders.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
It is common knowledge that too much testosterone can fuel rage and aggression (including when taken in supplement form). These shooters are "angry young men" and in their relative prime as far as testosterone levels goes. Many may be sexually frustrated as well (ie almost certainly Adam Lanza, a loner) which could agitate their psychological issues and serve to trigger (no pun intended) their manic melt downs.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I personally don't think one has anything to do with the other. I truly believe that these people were/are mentally ill. There are plenty of cases of women going bonkers and committing similar acts, they're just not as widely publicized.

Being a lady myself, I HATE to say this next part, but it is likely that men are just inherently.. er.. "better"... at those kinds of things.

And I do not say better in the literal sense.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by onthedownlow

True, most are obviously not on supplements (by looking at their physiques) but they are still in their prime (all relative). The KC Chief, J. Belcher, who killed his girlfriend and then himself obviously worked out but I am not sure if he was on steroids or not. But he did shoot her 10x (probably emptied his clip) so obviously it was a crime of anger and passion.

edit on 20-12-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by knowledgedesired

Adrenaline is more of a hormonal response (squirt) to danger while testosterone is gradually released into the blood stream.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

They probably cant get a date either (my point).

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I'm not sure about Testosterone itself. Perhaps what traditionally is thought of to go with it? Boys today spend a lifetime in school being told that being Male is absolutely politically incorrect. Glancing at a pretty girl is harassment.....actually SAYING something? Oh my...now it's a criminal offense in some places. Dodge Ball? (gasp) How brutal! That's been banned... too violent. Tag? Competitive sports in ANY form in some cases?

Aww... We can't have a 1st place to anything because 2nd place feels bad and lower feels like a loser (Kinda the whole point...and intended that way
)

Point being.... All done with good intentions, I understand...but the end result has been just ONE more of MANY things kids deal with today that none of US dealt with as kids 20 and 30 years ago. Just the very act of breathing as a normal, healthy male is against the rules in so many ways now.......I can see how some kids get VERY confused and perhaps.. rarely...just a few of those snap like dry kindling.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
It is common knowledge that too much testosterone can fuel rage and aggression (including when taken in supplement form).

This is for people with naturally high testosterone and unnaturally high. Lanky kids, and overweight kids don't have high testosterone. High testosterone means naturally high LBM for frame, and low body-fat regardless of diet. He wasn't high testosterone.

These shooters are "angry young men" and in their relative prime as far as testosterone levels goes. Many may be sexually frustrated as well (ie almost certainly Adam Lanza, a loner) which could agitate their psychological issues and serve to trigger (no pun intended) their manic melt downs.

There are far too many things that can make angry young men to think it's any one cause. I'm pretty sure it's not testosterone, but think if it was a factor it would have been on the low end. Low testosterone seems to be more common in narcissists. If they are 20 and need to get laid, yet have low T, it could frustrate them pretty bad.
edit on 20-12-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Testoterone has always been present yet these incidents have not. Especially for us older folks, we've grown up surrounded by guns yet these kinds of things didn't happen. So the link is somewhere else. If you read papers written by social psychologists that specialize in this sort of thing you'll find that the common denominator is social isolation. The huge increase in bullying is directly related. The kids involved in these acts have been aggressively and systematically ostrasized by their peers.

Most all of us were bullied 'back in the day'. But it was different. It usuallyinvolved a relatively small group of protagonists (usually one or two) and a small group of witneses. There was always escape. But with the pervasiveness of social media, bullying and the accomanying harassment will quickly spread to the entire school and beyond. The harassment is inescapable, non-stop and will involve a huge number of people. Kids with underlying mental health issues are convenient targets becasue of their unusual behaviors, social awkwardness and preexisting emotional frailty.

Many choose suicide. Males are 5 to 6 times more likely to commit suicide than females. Overall the rate is about 10 kids per 100,000. The rate of homicidal acts for this age group peaked in the mid 90's and has tapered-off to pre 1995 levels. The rate is between 10 and 25 per 100,000 with the 18-24 age group having the highest rate. Keep in mind that gang related acts account for 68% of these and are included in these numbers. So, if you back-out gang related homicides the rate of suicides and homicides is about equal for this age cohort. source

So rather than testosterone or guns, both of which have been present all along, it seems that some cultural/societal shift over the last couple of decades is what is behind this.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I have been on testosterone therapy and have been for about 5 years, although I haven't been in my 20's for 30 years. Sure, steroids can really promote aggressive behaviour, but it is my belief that testosterone therapy as prescribed by doctors isn't dangerous.
However, it's pretty undeniable that hormonal factors affect mental stability/acuity so I think it highly probable that young men in their 20's with mental issues could be more susceptible to outbursts/rage due to their testosterone levels - as well as their lack of experience dealing with life's stresses.

ganjoa

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Testosterone has nothing to do with it.
Those mass shooting Aholes are a bunch of estrogen filled cowards.

Testosterone = Men

Real Men don't kill a bunch of innocent people.
edit on 20-12-2012 by resoe26 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join