It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China arrests nearly 1,000 doomsday 'cult' members

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
And so it begins...

China has arrested nearly 1,000 people in a crackdown on a Christian sect that spread doomsday rumours and targeted communist rule, state media said on Thursday ahead of the supposedly Mayan-foretold apocalypse.

The Christian-inspired group "Almighty God" has been accused of spreading doomsday rumours apparently linked to the ancient Mayan Long Count calendar and urging followers to slay the "red dragon" of communism, state media reports said.

Close to 1,000 followers of the sect, which state-run media labels an "evil cult" -- the same description it applies to the banned Falun Gong group -- have been held in a nationwide crackdown that began last week, state-run CCTV reported.

Police detained more than 350 Almighty God members in the southwestern province of Guizhou, while in the northwestern province of Qinghai more than 400 were held for "gathering unlawfully", the Beijing Times reported.

Smaller numbers have been held in other areas across the country.

Almighty God predicts that three days of darkness will begin on Friday, and has called on its members to overthrow China's ruling Communist Party, which it refers to as "the big red dragon", the state-run Global Times reported.

It has also told believers that a new era presided over by a "female Jesus" has arrived and that tsunamis and earthquakes will rock the world, the Global Times said.

sg.news.yahoo.com...

Female Jesus?

I shouldn't be laughing because the reality is that there are a ton of people who are genuinely wanting/waiting for the world to end and these various groups across the world are kind or worrying me as mentioned in other threads they might make something happen if nothing actually happens. My guess is that mass suicides will occur, very sad I might add.

We will probably hear a lot of crazy reports over the next few days of groups/individuals going bat # crazy due to all the hype that has surrounded this date. I am off for the holidays and have no plans on going anywhere starting today until the 22nd. I have a large stockpile of beer and other "necessities" and I am going to enjoy the "Mayan Apocalypse" from the comfort of my own home and stay tuned to all the news reports and join my fellow ATS members in the madness that is sure to follow.

I should order a "I survived the Mayan Apocalypse and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" shirt.

Maybe I am getting too ahead of myself

Stay locked and loaded my friends!
edit on 12/20/2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

You aint seen nothin yet!!

Insert Random Crazy Apocalypse Doom and Gloom Nutbag Pic.........

HERE

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Well 1000 is twice the number i read in todays paper!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

You aint seen nothin yet!!

Trust me, I believe you!!

Insert Random Crazy Apocalypse Doom and Gloom Nutbag Pic.........

HERE

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Ahha..

God Almighty....

*Boom Boom*

seriously though, China.. In the land where religion is harder to practice than underwater fire breathing, what do they do? CULT it up. Not only do something that's hard to do in public, but be the sort of hard to do thing that even the normal ones look at and think "Go away!" about.

On a lighter note however, I did read about a restaurant in Hong Kong that is telling it's patrons that a $600+ AUD meal will be on the house, unless they are still alive after midnight. Haha. that's neat

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I was talking to my GF yesterday (who is Chinese ) about the arrests you mentioned. Apparently the Chinese Gov aren't to fussed with the fact they're obsessed with 2012, it's more the fact they're promoting members to "rise up" and overthrow the Chinese government, and replace it with their view of a "Christian" government.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Noinoi

Yes, the government is not too fond of their anti-Communist rhetoric, but...

It has also told believers that a new era presided over by a "female Jesus" has arrived and that tsunamis and earthquakes will rock the world, the Global Times said.

These people might be a harm to themselves and anyone who is around them.

I'm not saying that I support the Chinese decision to arrest these people but in some ways I can't blame them just for the safety of the general public.

Crazy times indeed.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noinoi
I was talking to my GF yesterday (who is Chinese ) about the arrests you mentioned. Apparently the Chinese Gov aren't to fussed with the fact they're obsessed with 2012, it's more the fact they're promoting members to "rise up" and overthrow the Chinese government, and replace it with their view of a "Christian" government.

You see that to me makes a hell of a lot more sense.

The Chinese have their own way of doing things.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I'm going to miss 12/21/12 in a couple days. It's been around for so long it's become like part of the family and I almost hate to see it pass.

That said, I hope people don't get too stupid over this thing and hurt anyone.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

On a lighter note however, I did read about a restaurant in Hong Kong that is telling it's patrons that a $600+ AUD meal will be on the house, unless they are still alive after midnight. Haha. that's neat

If I was in Hong Kong I would certainly take their offer

Just no doomsday talk or you might end up in jail!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
We should get used to this over the next day or two...

2012 Mania!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Female Jesus?

Sure...why not?
Let the New Era be about Equality.

That being said, watch it be the end of the world......

[sarcasm.....just kidding]

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

2012 Mania!

It will be quiet after this date passes...
Other than the "I told you so" threads for a few days after.

Soooo, when is the next gloom and doom date supposed to be?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

The 22nd, for me at least.

My hangover is going to be full of doom and gloom

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I have a question for ATS staff...once 2013 rolls around, will we get rid of the 2012 forum?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

2012 Mania!

It will be quiet after this date passes...
Other than the "I told you so" threads for a few days after.

Don't be so hasty friend.

There's always the chain movers to give us a new date. And I recall a thread after the London Olympics in which the poster claimed that his own hard work and the diligence of others averted the NWO attack during the games.

Combine those two groups of people and I think we can eek out some more life for this thing.
edit on 20-12-2012 by xFiDgetx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by xFiDgetx

Don't be so hasty friend. There's always the chain movers to give us a new date. And I recall a thread after the London Olympics in which the poster claimed that his own hard work and the diligence of others averted the NWO attack during the games.

Combine those two groups of people and I think we can eek out some more life for this thing.

Oh goody.......

Then I better keep the beer and pizza coming...

Some of those threads do offer a fair amount of entertainment if nothing else.

Hate to say it, but I am anxious to see what the first few threads/comments on Dec. 22nd will be!!

As with CorruptionExposed, there will be many nursing a severe hangover.....

The "EOTWAWKI" hangover because the EOTWAWKI never happened.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

Oh goody.......

Then I better keep the beer and pizza coming...

Some of those threads do offer a fair amount of entertainment if nothing else.

Hate to say it, but I am anxious to see what the first few threads/comments on Dec. 22nd will be!!

As with CorruptionExposed, there will be many nursing a severe hangover.....

The "EOTWAWKI" hangover because the EOTWAWKI never happened.

Haha.. too true.

Personally, I will be awaiting the ascensionite threads with extra beers at hand.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Cult: noun. Any group of people who espouse views you personally disagree with.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Apocryphon
Cult: noun. Any group of people who espouse views you personally disagree with.

Actually...

Cult

noun
1. a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
3. the object of such devotion.
4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
5. Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

I hope that helps clear things up for ya

ETA:

One more post and you can start your own "Doomsday" thread

edit on 12/20/2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join