It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help with the Moon.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
What do I need done with the moon?

The following post is from the BTS Avatar Creation thread, where a backgound is being created for my avatar, but the avatar is still in need of a fairly detailed moon image (with cratering), according to a location and dimension given in the post.

So if you're interested in working with an interesting moon image for an interesting avatar creation process... here's the info or description as to what I was hoping to achieve with the moon image, which is a pretty cool one and on that was recorded in the constellation of Leo which I think is cool for certain esoteric reasons you might come to see and recognize within the context of the background that's in development. For me the timing of this is kind of cool (Deecember 21st 2012), so I was hoping to complete the whole project by the morning of the 21st so I can make an awesome threadpost at 11:11 (my time - I'll be drunk and asleep that night (Company Christmas Party) and 3:00am just aint guna cut it, something like We Made It! Welcome to the New Age" that kind of thing.. lol yes I know i'll take a lot of heat for it, but you only take flack when you're over the target.

Anyway, thanks in advance if you can help me out with this moon image shrinkdown and colour change.

And at the very least Merry Christmas and Happy New Age!

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
Blood Red Moon - Lunar Eclipse in Avatar.

And as for the moon as per my original request last page

Hi there.

Someone has already helped me out in a very big way re: Santa hat and blood-red moon [lunar eclipse] (see my avatar) and I just don't feel comfortable making any more requests of him given the degree to which we've already gone back and forth tweaking and retweaking.

The issue is with the blood-red moon, which doesn't look quite moon-like enough and I was hoping to get another one made and inserted in the pic, same diameter, same location with certain degree of fading (to make it fit in with da Vinci's painting). My helper used a real moon image from a lunar eclipse and if possible I'd still like to do that, but in the scaling down to size it lost aspects of the light faded moon cratering you normally see when you look at the moon. Right now it appears planetoid, but you can't be certain that it is indeed the moon during a lunar eclipse.

Here's the image without the moon

link files.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's a link to a lunar eclipse image, but I only have paint and can't crop it and size it

upload.wikimedia.org...

Once I get the red lunar eclipse moon perfected, then there's something really cool and highly symbolic for the background to fill the whole avatar panel, which I'll need some help with as well.

Thank you so much in advance for any help you can provide.

Best Regards, Merry Christmas and Happy New Age!

NAM aka Robert

I've found the solution to that as well!

The problem was that all the moon in earth eclipse (lunar eclipse) photos out there are too large, so when you scale them down to size to fit in my avatar, the pixalization gets so squashed down that all detail (of the faded moon cratering) gets lost.

BUT, I FOUND ONE!

I found a much "smaller" and highly detailed, high resolution, "blood red" moon image within the context of the frame of a big photo. Therefore, in scaling down you can start by just scaling down the image as is before cropping out the circumference of the moon at the much smaller size (for the window of da Vinci's "The Last Supper" painting in my avatar).

The only difference here would be that I'd like a slightly redder hue than you see in the following photo, as a rate of hue between that of Jesus' shirt (orangey) and his new Santa hat (which in the real life history of the post-resurrected-resuscitated Jesus come winter solstice, I'm sure he adored wearing along with his red robe with white trimmings to receive and bless the little children and bestow gifts upon them - hey the temple gold given to him as reparation by those two guys in dazzling white suits by the opened tomb, might have lasted a lifetime!).

That's all the elements needed by which to complete the project, so I've done my part as well and it was a team effort in the final analysis. That feels good to have gotten out of the way, because I was really hoping to have this thing finished by Friday - maybe do a "New Age" thread with my new avatar and background, while freaking people out with the little disappearing, moving, moon-trick, at the same time!

editing - moon photo to arrive in a minute brb.

TaDaaaa!

files.abovetopsecret.com...

P.S. That particular moon is even in the Constellation of Leo, btw - how utterly PERFECT! (this is working out really well, so pleased : )

Thus, as you depicted, last page, there are three "conditions" or three configurations of the avatar-background.

1) No Moon

2) Moon Rising

3) Moon Risen

Our more detailed, high resolution moon (same diameter as depicted, same location), with a slightly redder hue as described abiove (between Jesus' shirt and hat in color), could then be faded just a bit and/or made graphic-like (if you know what I mean) just a bit (while maintaining its photo realism) so as to blend with the surrounding painting. Although in terms of standing out, because the Santa hat does, it can also appear just a little bit brighter in colour than the rest of the painting, to draw attention to it, as with the Santa hat on Jesus' head.

from the thread BTS Avatar Creation Page 17.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 19-12-2012 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
And yes the title was intended to draw curiosity with a spirit of playfulness.

"What does he MEAN he "wants help with the moon?"" (said like you)

But it's true.

Merry Christmas,

NAM aka Robert.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Why can't I do it myself?

Paint doesn't have that the feature by which to crop out a circle even, so I'm screwed.

What I need is a good free graphics software progvram that I don't have to compile first from an FTP site (I'm a bit of a 'puter idiot) and learn how to use it for simple tasks, like shrinking a moon, altering its hue, and clipping it out so that it's surrounding is transparent, then pasting it in. both as a whole circle, and cutting it to fit in the valley.

I'm interested in developing the skills though, but it's such a daunting task when you're starting out from scratch.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Why can't I do it myself?

Paint doesn't have that the feature by which to crop out a circle even, so I'm screwed.

What I need is a good free graphics software progvram that I don't have to compile first from an FTP site (I'm a bit of a 'puter idiot) and learn how to use it for simple tasks, like shrinking a moon, altering its hue, and clipping it out so that it's surrounding is transparent, then pasting it in. both as a whole circle, and cutting it to fit in the valley.

I'm interested in developing the skills though, but it's such a daunting task when you're starting out from scratch.

Google "Gimp". It's a good program and free. It works a lot like photoshop.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by L8RT8RZ

I know I know but I don't know how to compile it and install it - just a bunch of files at an FTP site and I don't know what to do with them.

Don't laugh.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
download it, click on setup and it will self-install

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by L8RT8RZ

Could you point me to the download link, because where I always ended up, there were a bunch of files at an FTP site, and there was no way to download any one of them and I didn't see a setup.exe file either. What do you download them all into one folder (compile), then what? I need a little help with this.

But I've LOVE some help with the moon in the interim if anyone has the skill to do what I was looking for in the OP.

Best Regards,

NAM

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

It's on this page. Click where it says "Download gimp 2.8.2"
It'll open a new page and there will be a yellow bar at the top of your screen asking for permission if you are using windows explorer. Click it and click on "download file".

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Are you on linux?
This link is for the windows installer.
edit on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 20:03:29 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

If you are on linux, someone else needs to help you out, I only know lubuntu myself.
edit on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 20:04:28 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Ok, got it installed, thank you for your help (I honestly couldn't find the install link on the gimp download page with all the FTP sites) but I'm such a newbie on it that it's embarrassing

Can you tell me how precisely I would go about cutting the moon out of this image (as is, same size)

and then taking that and putting it into a transparent frame for the insertion ie: so that there's no black around it, only the background of the original graphic I want to put it in.

While we're at it, how would you then go about cutting or cropping it for the rising moon (half hidden by the valley in the distance) as presently seen in my avatar to the left.

This would save my helper who created the avatar backgound some time during the holidays so he can catch up on his sleep and just hang out with family/friends like we all are doing without having to bother himself with my final requests.

Thanks for your help.

NAM

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

for that image it would be easiest to just click the magic wand tool, press delete then save as a bmp.
also i'd recomend you use a program called paint.net www.getpaint.net....
its an advanced version of mspaint. i'd recomend that over gimp if you dont have experience using pic editing software.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Happy Holidays to you also and your thread title hit the mark perfectly.I was there "you and i to buddy".

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Ok, got it installed, thank you for your help (I honestly couldn't find the install link on the gimp download page with all the FTP sites) but I'm such a newbie on it that it's embarrassing

Can you tell me how precisely I would go about cutting the moon out of this image (as is, same size)

and then taking that and putting it into a transparent frame for the insertion ie: so that there's no black around it, only the background of the original graphic I want to put it in.

While we're at it, how would you then go about cutting or cropping it for the rising moon (half hidden by the valley in the distance) as presently seen in my avatar to the left.

This would save my helper who created the avatar backgound some time during the holidays so he can catch up on his sleep and just hang out with family/friends like we all are doing without having to bother himself with my final requests.

Thanks for your help.

NAM

Something like this ? / right click on the image and save it and you have your moon render.

edit on 20-1-2013 by Dutcheagle because: (no reason given)

top topics

join