It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tau Ceti may have five planets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

It seems they found another set of planets. This time one of the closest sun Tau ceti twelve light-years away.
The extraterrestrial solar system got five planets and one in the habitable zone...

At a distance of twelve light years and visible with a naked eye in the evening sky, Tau Ceti is the closest single star with the same spectral classification as our Sun. Its five planets are estimated to have masses between two and six times the mass of the Earth--making it the lowest-mass planetary system yet detected. One of the planets lies in the habitable zone of the star and has a mass around five times that of Earth, making it the smallest planet found to be orbiting in the habitable zone of a Sun-like star.

You know I'm now beginning to loose count of how many habitable planets they have found ?
And still no phone call from E.T . well atleast we can pick us brand new planets to live on...

Carnegie Institution

Peace...

edit on 19-12-2012 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
thanks for sharing. a bit off topic, but maybe it's the diet i'm on, but Tau Ceti sounds delicious.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Thanks for posting.

12 light years is pretty close on the cosmic scale.

It will be interesting learning all the info from these exoplanet discoveries.

It amazes me that not too long ago, we weren't even sure if other planets existed out there. Now we are finding them at an ever increasing scale.

Cool stuff! S & F!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
wow. just avoid tau ceti 5.

all we have to hope is that khan doesn't put an mind altering creature in checkov's ear, take over the kobayashi maru, warp to earth and declare war.

or was gene roddenberry a modern day nostradamus, and we are actually in the year 2535, humanity is enslaved via a matrix type system, the genetic wars really happened (ww2), hitler won, propaganda has been perfected, and a certain type of humanity travels the universe and has unbelievable technology like seen on star trek, to live freely, comfortably and luxuriously in space.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

I would think that's one of the first solar system to go when we have the capability to space travel at high speeds.
But scanning for intelligent traces could be the first steps.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
This is incredible.

Though, like the good ole Matrix said, the human race is like a cancer. We would just destroy this planet, probably at an even faster rate and rape it of its resources

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

Ignore my post please

edit on 19-12-2012 by samuel1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by RooskiZombi

I don't know , If we get the technology this decade to come, I think we will just loose allot of people in this first planetary encounter. You never know how hostile places like that can be,and evolution started differently then ours.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by tonybotzo
thanks for sharing. a bit off topic, but maybe it's the diet i'm on, but Tau Ceti sounds delicious.

star for making me laugh lol

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
wow. just avoid tau ceti 5.

all we have to hope is that khan doesn't put an mind altering creature in checkov's ear, take over the kobayashi maru, warp to earth and declare war.

or was gene roddenberry a modern day nostradamus, and we are actually in the year 2535, humanity is enslaved via a matrix type system, the genetic wars really happened (ww2), hitler won, propaganda has been perfected, and a certain type of humanity travels the universe and has unbelievable technology like seen on star trek, to live freely, comfortably and luxuriously in space.

That was Ceti Alpha 6 and Ceti Alpha 5 . Khan was exiled by Captain Kirk to Ceti Alpha 5, which was a nice enough planet at the time, but when Ceti Alpha 6 was destroyed by some catstrophe, Ceti Alpha 5's orbit shifted, and made Ceti Alpha 5 a nasty place to live. Khan's wife died when the plante turned nasty, and Khan blamed captain kirk, swearing revenge.

Star Trek called the star "Ceti Alpha", but if they were really trying to name it after the real star, the proper name would be "Alpha Ceti", and the planet Khan was on would be Alpha Ceti 5.

By the way, Alpha Ceti is a relatively bright star (2nd brightest star in Cetus), and has been given a proper name -- "Menkar". Menkar is not know to have any planets.

top topics

join