It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former NYPD detective says arm the school

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
First came this St Louis Police Chief.

Now a former NYPD detective with school-aged children of his own says put a gun in the school.

The bottom line is, when you talk about ammunition or weapons, the bottom line is they need something, and it could be anything, any type of firearm to save the children. If you were to give me a magic wand and I could change things, I would give that principal, or I would have that principal or some teachers armed. It could have saved more of the students and staff that were killed. It’s very important.
Link to blog post

These cops know how long it takes them to arrive at the scene and more importantly they know what's happening at that scene while they make their way to it.

But hey what do they know in the end right? Being realistic cant hold a candle to the feel-good fantasy that is a sticker on the front door saying "no guns allowed."

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Guns Guns and yet more guns.
What a hell society America has become.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Aye, equip teachers who are responsible for a class full of kids with guns ... What could go wrong?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Colleges and university have campus police...what's wrong with 1 armed guard at elementary schools?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Seriously, who cares what a Detective has to say about this??

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaltireWarrior
Aye, equip teachers who are responsible for a class full of kids with guns ... What could go wrong?

You understand that those same adults are armed around your kids at the park, at the movies, at the restaurant, at the museum, at the grocery, etc.... right?

What changes when an adult who carries day after day walks across that threshold into a school?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

You understand that those same adults are armed around your kids at the park, at the movies, at the restaurant, at the museum, at the grocery, etc.... right?

What changes when an adult who carries day after day walks across that threshold into a school?

So what happens when the teacher tries to kill as in this case?

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

this makes perfect sense. If you cannot un-invent the gun, cannot realistically disarm the population, then arm the vulnerable areas so 1 lone maniac doesn't have a field day shooting unarmed people.

Arm them.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

So what happens when the teacher tries to kill as in this case?

www.huffingtonpost.com...

What do you mean what happens? The same thing happens since obviously that guy didnt give two stones over the law. Hopefully somebody else would be able to put the breaks on him before he did too much damage.

With resistance some nut can be stopped. Without resistance the nut just keeps killing and killing and killing until somebody with a gun arrives.

Do you want the guy with the gun to save your ass to be right there when needed or do you prefer waiting 20 minutes?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas
Seriously, who cares what a Detective has to say about this??

Well, being in the law enforcement for so many years will give you an edge in that arena, you learn things and get good at them.
That said, I'd never question how you make a burger.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Your trying to argue the fact that it is "Safe" to put a firearm into the hands of a teacher. That article blew your argument into dust.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Your trying to argue the fact that it is "Safe" to put a firearm into the hands of a teacher. That article blew your argument into dust.

All that incident proves is that lunatics can be anywhere.

If you want to make the case that all teachers are psychos then go for it.

Answer me, immediate assitance or waiting 20 minutes? Because that's what this is about.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Is a firearm any better in the hands of a police officer?
At least the teacher has to have a degree, they had to spend some time learning in order to get their job.
As for your article, NOBODY has EVER figured out how to predict and stop the x factor, that is why it is the x factor.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

All that incident proves is that lunatics can be anywhere.

If you want to make the case that all teachers are psychos then go for it.

Answer me, immediate assitance or waiting 20 minutes? Because that's what this is about.

Read this and learn:-

www.military-sf.com...

Putting a gun into a sane persons hand and then expecting them to point it at another human being and then pull the trigger is not as simple as you think.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Here is a school in Texas that allows the teachers and staff to carry guns for protection of their students. Seems like it has worked pretty well so far. I would absolutely be behind our school district if they decided to implement something similar.

In 2007, a school district in Harrold, Texas, made a controversial decision. It allowed teachers to carry concealed weapons on school grounds to protect students against potential shooters. Now, in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary attack in Newtown, Conn., that left 28 dead including 20 children and the gunman, the school district's methods are getting a closer look. In a report from CBS Dallas Fort Worth, superintendent David Thweatt says the district's "Guardian Plan" is a way of taking charge in the chaos of a potential shooting. Teachers are the true first responders, Thweatt says. "We need to be here to protect our children. Not four, five minutes or six minutes from now."

Guardian Plan

~OkieDokie

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
It's an interesting thought, and there is a lot to consider. Mostly, how it would be implemented with safety and accountability safeguards from school to school in mind. Would teachers bring their own or do schools install an armory with an assigned armorer? Who is training the teachers, can the DoE fund it, and so on? So many variables.

No matter how it would be done, the risk factor still increases. Maybe a secure lockbox in each classroom with the teacher having the key to it. No matter how you envision this idea, it's bold and far fetched.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

Still not answering the question.

Despite the human reluctance to fire on another human being firearms are used in self defense everyday.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

You obviously an expert in this field and i a mere layman. I bow to your superior knowledge.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82

No matter how you envision this idea, it's bold and far fetched.

There are tens of millions of lawfully carrying Americans out in the world right now. Many of them around kids.

There's nothing bold or far-fetched about it. It's quite normal and happens every single day.

Mr. Smith fifth grade teacher carries in his waist band every hour he isnt at work. Why is it any different when he's at work?
edit on 18-12-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Yep I agree, what I am trying to convey is that it wouldn't be that simple - Parents will want to know that their child's teacher in whatever school in America has met some stringent standards that your average CCW course may or may not meet. We would be taking the firearm policy of schools from one end of the spectrum to the other, so I can imagine it would involve a lot of consideration.

It's far fetched, but still in fetching range.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join