It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is an "assault rifle" or "military style" weapon?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DarKPenguiN

Like I said , this is a confusing topic. Assault weapons as stated are in fact fully automatic; as you find in the definition at Wiki and others. However, the "assault weapons" that were banned for a period and are now legal are only semi-automatic. Hence the confusion in the media, from the media and amongst many politicians both liberal and conservative. Their theory is to lump them all together, keep it as confusing as possible and just ban the darn things.

i've been going to gun shows since 1993 and have seen many fully automatic guns for sale. Only thing is, you must have a class 2 FFL to purchase whether from a private individual or a dealer. The BATFE closely monitors these kind of weapons, as they should.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Title XI, subtitle A, formally known as the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, but commonly known as the Federal Assault Weapons Ban or Semiautomatic Assault Weapons Ban, barred the manufacture of 19 specific semi-automatic firearms, classified as "assault weapons" (a non-technical term), as well as any semi-automatic rifle, pistol, or shotgun that is capable of accepting a detachable magazine, and which has two or more of the following features: A telescoping or folding stock, a pistol grip, a flash suppressor, a grenade launcher, and a bayonet lug.

That is what they called assault weapons.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
pretty simple

automatic rifles, including automatic hand guns have no place in a civil society

they are used by two broad goups...1) army/government, and 2) criminals

OK, so if you "banned them" who would wind up having them?

they are used by two broad goups...1) army/government, and 2) criminals

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

the people who are supposed to!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Lots of good definitions here.

But at the end of the day the term "assault rife" or "military style" weapon will be defined as broadly as they think they can get away with..

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
reply to post by schuyler

the people who are supposed to!

AKA….. The criminals…….. and the government.

That is totally reassuring ………. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I think the issue has been confused. A true Sturmgewehr (Assualt Rifle) IS capable of either full automatic or 3-rd burst capable and NOT semi-auto.

My guess with this legislation will be the mandatory use of a "bullet button" on magazine fed weapons. This will make it slower to remove the magazine and reload since you have to use the tip of a bullet to release the magazine. It's how a friend of mine was able to bring his AR into California.

Not sure why you can't have a telescoping stock, anyone know why?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Feltrick

If you read how they describe a assault weapon it would be any weapon with a barrel which has a pistol grip. Also any weapon that has a magazine that holds more then 10 rounds. The stock of the rifle would have to stay solid. No telescoping so the weapon would have to be fired from the shoulder. So back to the Daniel Boone days.

If the Republicans are smart they will get in there and help create a real bill that is modern only limiting the Clip size,Magazine size and banning drums.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
If any law at all is in fact changed we will probably just see Clinton era restrictions which is a drag for gun hobbyists and enthusiasts but they will still sell the existing market items albeit at a higher price they won't make new firearms or accessories if they don't comply with the new laws.. I'm sure some of that either came out wrong but it's what I remember about the now expired assault weans laws

FYI: it didn't change anything back then still shootings still guns on the streets same carnage so to speak.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I think this picture says it all. The term assualt weapon is being demonized as it always has been.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

A True "Assault Rifle" would be fully automatic or select fire (some with FA, 2 or 3 rd burst and semi-auto or single fire). Assault style weapons are the semi automatic civilian market derivatives (ie, AR-15 vs M-16 or M-4 platforms). Assault implies offensive capability but most civilian weapons are obviously bought for their defensive capability.

edit on 17-12-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by geocom

I disagree ! Check what the UN did in Australia they went door to door collecting everything from simi auto 22 caliber plinking guns to what ever . They do not want you to have any capability to resist the United Nations take over of the United States and it is coming . The UN is behind the anti gun attack and Obama is their puppet .If he does not do as planned he will be replaced quickly . His real birth certificate will magically appear and someone more UN orientated will step up .

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracytheoristIAM

Fully automatic weapons are classified as Title II weapons under the National Firearms Act and have to go thru a Class 3 FFL dealer (to add to the confusion).

SM2

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny

Originally posted by DarKPenguiN

Originally posted by conspiracytheoristIAM

Feltrick , you are wrong . The assault weapons ban was for semi- automatic weapons....high capacity mags, black, hand grip and only menacing to the uninformed.

I know- (he does as well) but was quoting Wiki for a definition. A definition that (if it holds) means the "assalt weapons" ban will effect almost nobody since that is already Illegal without a special (and impossible to get) dealers license.

No it’s not impossible. It’s called a 200 dollar tax stamp.
www.nfasales.com...
Here is a place that deals with them, if you got the money.
You can also look up NFA firearms on gun auction sites.

As for as “assault weapons”, that is a purely political (and often insane) definition. It changes depending on the whim of what ever politician is in office.

it is a little more than just paying $200.

First you purchase the NFA weapon, which are not as common as you may think, they have to have been manufactured prior to 1968 I think is the year, anything after that is off limits to civilians. They are also not cheap, as there is a large demand and short supply,so like a fully auto say, FAL or M-16 would run roughly $20,000 or more. Then, after you make the deal with the dealer, you complete the BATFE forms for a class 3 weapons purchase (suppressors, sbr, machine guns, mortars etc). While waiting the six months plus ( average time taken) for them to approve you, they will have you meet with the principal law enforcement official in your locality to inform them of the purchase.They verify that, and if you pass the very strict criteria they will send you the tax stamp, which you take to the dealer and pick up the weapon.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Take a look at this page www.gunsamerica.com... it is for privet buying of AR's Assault Rifle how many do not know that AR stands for Assault Rifle is beyond me or aka tactical or mil grade this does not mean that is for mil use, just that how it looks feels and handles is mil. MP is an other term used it stands for mil and police but does not mean it is for strictly mil and police use, a privet citizen can own them M4 is an other miss used definition of a rifle, it could a shot gun as seen on the page from the link above, now for a real mil M4/m16 www.defenseindustrydaily.com... once your at the link, take a look can you tell the difference between that and a over the counter rifle now that thing under the 2nd pick is an m203 grande launcher that strictly for the Mil, the police can get one for smoke/ tear gas, and for bean bag use but not a fragmentation round i do hope this ends the confusion,
ps not affiliated with web site's posted, used for info only.
edit on 17-12-2012 by bekod because: line edditing

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
how many do not know that AR stands for Assault Rifle is beyond me or aka tactical or mil grade this does not mean that is for mil use, just that how it looks feels and handles is mil. MP is an other term used it stands for mil and police but does not mean it is for strictly mil and police use,

I should hope that most people don’t know AR stands for assault rifle, because it doesn’t.

AR stands for ARmalite.
As in ARmalite 15.
MP stands for Machine Pistol.

If you are going to spew stuff, at least know what you are talking about.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

A Browning Automatic Rifle in .270, .308 or .30-06 with a 5 round clip (semi-automatic action not bolt and not full auto and not to be confused with the BAR Squad Assault Weapon of WW2) is a hunting rifle (primarily deer) NOT an assault rifle. Assault-style rifles are typically black with hard plastic furniture (but some can have wood furniture); have pistol grips, flash protectors (match barrels do not tho) and some have bayonet lugs as well. Personally, I have seen scarier halloween masks (which definitely should be banned in banks!).

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
So, according to a Foxnews.com article this morning, gun sales are up. They also state that:

"The previous assault weapons ban lasted from 1994 through 2004. It defined an assault rifle as any gun that was:

-semi automatic, meaning one round is fired per each pull of the trigger
-used a detachable magazine

And featured any two of the following attributes:

-a folding or telescopic stock
-a pistol grip
-a bayonet mount
-a flash suppressor
-a grenade launcher"

What do those who own or want an AR think about the "bullet button" modification? This mod basically gets around the law by making the magazine technically none releasable in that you cannot release the mag using only your finger.

Sorry for not including a link to the story, but posting via smart phone.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I saw this description also. It's funny because I've seen an AR that did not have 2 or more of the things listed on the 2nd part of that list. I personally would not care if an AR had a mechanism that required me to use two hands to release the magazine. I shoot for fun so it wouldn't really affect me. It would affect people who compete in 3-gun competition though.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The owners of the company that make the Bushmaster are selling it off.

www.washingtonpost.com... 9e1cb8-4914-11e2-8af9-9b50cb4605a7_story.html?

NEW YORK — The private equity firm Cerberus will sell its stake in a firearms company that produced one of the weapons believed to have been used in the shootings at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., calling it a “watershed event” in the national debate on gun control.

While saying that it’s not its role to take positions or attempt to shape or influence the gun control debate, Cerberus said it is taking what action it can by selling its stake in the Freedom Group, which makes the Bushmaster rifle.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join