It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coincidence And The Mathematics Behind It

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

A poor understanding of probability leads many people to put forward supernatural explanation for events that are far more common than they think. This video shows how probability theory is sufficient to explain even seemingly remarkable coincidences.

The larger number of observations that can be considered in an singular event (numbers, names, colors, shapes, dates etc), the more probabilities will result between "observation" and "event". It's basic mathematics.

I put this in Education, since I thought it would help define the word coincidence and give people a more broad understanding of how the most remarkable events will have more and more similarities the more you you look into the matter.

For fun let's see how many people have coincidences to the following info I give about myself:

Initials: B.E
Birthday: 10/10/1976
Birthplace: Colombia, South America
Resides in: New Jersey
Adopted
Mother: Polish
Father: English
Divorced
Part Time: Graphic Design
Favorite Color: Blue
Hobbies: Camping, Hiking, Music Appreciation, Surfing, Skateboarding, Painting, Guitar
Children: None
Live in: Condo
Pets: 2 Cats
Favorite Movie: Contact
Favorite Musician: Gwar
Musical Preferences: Jazz, Blues, Classic R & B, Rock, Metal and Classic Country
Underwear: Boxers
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Long Brown
Smoker: No
Drinker: Yes
Car: American Made Ford
Gun Owner: Yes
Fears: Drowning, Flying and CLOWNS!!!!
Favorite Food: Sushi
Favorite Drink: Green Tea

How many coincidences do you have with me?

Please remember that the subject matter as corny as it may seem are just variables (observations) in an equation that translates the same to any other event.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ThisToiletEarth

Beside the point you are trying to make, are you trying to make identity-theft more accessible to the general public or what!

That is way to much information to just be throwing out there, isn't it?

Peace

PS: we have one thing in common, we drink.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
We both have brown eyes

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThisToiletEarth
How many coincidences do you have with me?

Several.
Had to make up a few guesses as to how probable some of those were, but at a first estimate, there was less than a 1 in 2000 chance for this combination.

Given this small probability, I declare you must have cheated and inspected my life before posting your list.
Could not have been this way by chance alone.

edit on 17-12-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Bad idea, posting all your stats out there, bro....Bad Idea.

Aside from that, the probability that I have characteristics/habits/likes/dislikes in common with others is extremely high, given a global population of approx 7 billion. No new news there.

Coincidence?
Probability?

Two different words describing the same phenomena.

new topics

top topics

join