It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TRENDING: Feinstein to introduce assault weapons ban bill

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shdak

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
US will end up following Australia's lead in gun law reform:

1) No semi auto rifles or pump action shotgun allowed unless you have special reason for it due to work etc

2) No clips larger than 10 rounds regardless of which weapon.

3) All gun liscence applicants need a criminal history check and mental record check.

4) All guns must be locked away in a metal safe all the time with ammo locked in a seperate safe or compartment of the same safe. All guns must be empty at all times when stored.

5) 1 month cooling off period for purchasing your first firearm, this is to help calm people down who might have applied for one for the wrong reason.

6) Random inspection of your rifles to ensure they are kept under lock and key unloaded. If not, they get confiscated.

In all honesty, the above rules/laws are common sense.

When was the last time you really needed an AR15 to go bunny hunting or deer hunting?

For true hunters its the hunt more so than just the kill.

I agree with the 2nd ammendment and the right to bear arms, but semi -auto's do not have a place in society.

If your so afraid of the government do something about it.

I think all semi auto's should be banned and any one found in possession of them on the streets or elsewhere should be jailed for 5 years minimum.

Society can continue to go on with respectable, law abiding gun owning citizens that care for their rifles the right way.

If you require constant access to an AR15 and heaps of rounds of weapons, then I think you need to re-evaluate your life.

You left out the Drug Test

What drug test? I never needed one and have friends who recently aquired their liscneces and they didnt require them either.

Originally posted by pheonix358
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

I am in Australia as well and quite frankly the laws we have, some of the most draconian in the world, only prevent law abiding citizens from having them.

It is quite easy to get hold of handguns, semi-auto rifles seem to be a bit harder but only because I am a law abiding citizen and only possess weapons I am allowed to own. An ex-friend owns two pistols, both illegal.

I was looking in a shop last week that had a lovely sniper rifle, bolt action, .27Caliber, nice scope! I could buy it tomorrow.

It is always the case, the good guys can't get them, Police response times are abysmal and criminals can get whatever they want.

Making something, anything, illegal does not work, never has, never will. That is human nature.

P

Totally agree with you my friend.

Originally posted by TryhardSandy
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

so take some time away from your militia duties in melbourne and come on over to the states for a while. im in south georgia, after we meet up and have a beer you can go down in the woods with us and help us clear out some of these hogs that make life a living hell. weve got a 5 shot bolt action rifle, just for you, for when a 600 pound hog charges you with the force of a semi truck. good luck. if you survive, we might give you some leftover ribs.

bwahahahahaha....would love to take you up on that offer one day

One of the things that needs to be fixed "in my opinion" along with the introduction of any gun laws in the USA is to stop the porous souther border with Mexico.....as long as that border isnt closed off properly, guns will flow into the country along with the drugs that currently do.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

If you require constant access to an AR15 and heaps of rounds of weapons, then I think you need to re-evaluate your life.

Touché ol' boy!

IRM

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
This thread is sure to be full of people who know nothing about guns or the liberal tactic of word smithing, but an assult weapon can be just about any kind of gun. It's got nothing to do with automatic weapons.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by CincinnatiReds

Incorrect my friend...both semi and fully auto weapons can be considered assault weapons..I believe what broadens the definition of assault weapon can be the clip size, stalk and possibly the type of flash suppressor on it. Even though a sniper rifle is semi-auto I would consider that a assault weapon..or perhaps I'm way off but I don't think so..

Link

“We believe we have (perfected it). We exempt over 900 specific weapons that will not fall under the bill, but the purpose of this bill is to get … ‘weapons of war’ off the street of our cities,” she said.

I almost want to say whats the point of a ban when you allow 900 specific weapons? Can't wait to see this list..
edit on 17-12-2012 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by CincinnatiReds
Assault weapons are full Auto, Semi automatic rifles are not assault rifles. It currently is illegal to own full auto weapons unless you have a pre ban weapon (very hard to come by) which is grandfathered in or you have a license which is also difficult and expensive to obtain. For our oversees board members it's important to note and acknowledge that the average person CANNOT own a full auto rifle in the US. Even the cool military style weapons that are sold over here are still semi auto. I was planning on building my own AR15 in the not so far future but it looks like I'll have one in the next month.
edit on 16-12-2012 by CincinnatiReds because: (no reason given)

Massachusetts has a AWB. The laws are clear, but not cleary understood. There is a little room for misunderstanding, but with a little research, you can come to an answer.

In Massachusetts -

Assault Weapon = ban
Cool AR-15 semi-auto with 30rd mag = ok

Why you ask? An AR15 is not an "assault weapon" untill it has certain features that make it an assault weapon, such as a bayonet lug. Now really, who cares if your gun can have a bayonet? In Mass, you can't buy a new 30rd mag, but you can have a preban one. My pistol is semi auto, it's older (preban) and came with 3 mags, 2x15rd and 1x12rd. Is the pistol an assault weapon?? Nope.

People need to educate themselves when talk turns to banning assault weapons. It's not the end of the world, and chances are, you don't have one or you not likely going to be buying one.

AK-47 = might not be an assault weapon
AR-15 = might not be an assault weapon

Ever seen those tripod mounted, dual 10-22 "machine guns" for sale in catalogs? That's not an "assault weapon".

Here is a quick reference to Massachusetts laws, some of the most restrictive in the US.

Massachusetts law considers “assault weapons” to be part of a larger class of guns known as
“large capacity weapons”. There are restrictions on possession, purchase and transportation of
these guns and the penalties for using them in a crime are generally more severe. There is also
a ban on “large capacity magazines” made after September 13, 1994.
The definition of “assault weapon” is the same as the federal law that went into effect on
September 13, 1994. Specific guns are banned by name, and guns with certain combinations of
features are banned:
A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2
of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon ;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;
A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2
of--
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip,
or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits
the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and
A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--"
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'“
A “large capacity feeding device” is defined the same as in federal law, or:
“a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or
that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five
shotgun shells; ... The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular
device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.”
A “large capacity weapon” is basically any firearm, rifle or shotgun that is semi-automatic with
a fixed large capacity feeding device or that is capable of accepting any detachable large
capacity feeding device; or an “assault weapon.”
Ban on recently-manufactured “assault weapons” and “large capacity magazines.” State law
clearly limits possession to pre-1994 items and exempts out only law enforcement and retired
law enforcement:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jough626

CT and NJ are already under AWB's as well.

Which is why most news outlets report his mothers rifle as an "AR-15 type" rifle rather than an "assault rifle."

Dont want the rest of America to know that terms like "Assault Rifle" and AWB laws are fantasies loaded to the brim with stinky bull dung.

Her black rifle in CT is just an AR-15 type rifle. My black rifle in a non-AWB state is an "assault rifle."

Side by side nobody could tell the difference and functionally they are both identical but by the magic power of law one is a proper sporting arm and the other is an evil weapon of war.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jough626

Nice job posting the specifics...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

I believe any silencer in the United States is illegal

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Pro-gun senator says it's time to talk gun regulations

Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., a longtime gun rights advocate, said Monday that he would be open to a discussion on restricting assault rifles and high-capacity magazines following Friday's mass shooting that killed 20 first-graders and six adults at a Connecticut school. "We've never been in these waters before – we've had horrific crimes throughout our country, but never have we seen so many of our babies put in harm's way and their life taken from them and the grief," Manchin told CNBC. "That's changed me, and it's changed most Americans I would think."

Like i said so it begins......

i have a feeling this rolling snowball will not be stopped, dead children stir massive emotions as they should do

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco

You believe wrong: www.silencersarelegal.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

This is all BS. Even if it got passed, all this would do is make Americans get illegal firearms, which would make their sale and proliferation more rampant.

I don´t know where to get an illegal AK-47....if this is passed, everyone and their mother will.....and that will make a new criminal business.

We arent going to rewrite our social identity by writing BS laws for political capital. I hate this *snip.....

Just drop it, Americans will not give up on their guns. Sorry. Deal with it.

edit on 17-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz

This is all BS. Even if it got passed, all this would do is make Americans get illegal firearms, which would make their sale and proliferation more rampant.

I don´t know where to get an illegal AK-47....if this is passed, everyone and their mother will.....and that will make a new criminal business.

We arent going to rewrite our social identity by writing BS laws for political capital. I hate this *snip.....

Just drop it, Americans will not give up on their guns. Sorry. Deal with it.

edit on 17-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

At no point have i stated i believe this to be the path for the American people...i think you might not be calling my thread BS just the ideas of the Senators or Gun control/banning.

All i am showing is that its coming if you like it or not.. so how you gonna deal with it? no one has stood up for any of their rights in any country, terrible things happen in society and instead of addressing the cause we concentrate on how to mop up afterwards and give the state more control until no one is able to fight back.

I am on the fence of Pro gun or anti Gun (coming from a country that Guns are banned)

just a little figure for you though

Last year

UK deaths due to guns = 14
U.S.A deaths due to guns 10,740 (Roughly)

i know Guns don't kill people .. people do .. but guns sure make it easier, and much easier to kill multiple people at the same time, its hard to take a classroom of kids out with a butter knife (sry kids R.I.P)

like i said i am not anti gun .. i think the states is a unique situation and i would like to hear how you intend to allow the use of guns but stop these massacres occuring.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

If it went through, then it would simply re-empower the original purposes of the Second Amendment, which is Militia formation and gun carrying as a militia member.

Simply put.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

US will end up following Australia's lead in gun law reform:

When was the last time you really needed an AR15 to go bunny hunting or deer hunting?

For true hunters its the hunt more so than just the kill.

I agree with the 2nd ammendment and the right to bear arms, but semi -auto's do not have a place in society.

If your so afraid of the government do something about it.

I think all semi auto's should be banned and any one found in possession of them on the streets or elsewhere should be jailed for 5 years minimum.

Society can continue to go on with respectable, law abiding gun owning citizens that care for their rifles the right way.

Hypothetical situation: what if ATF, one day, decides to inspect your weapons and HEY, look at that: while inspecting, they also find an old bottle of HydroCodone from your wisdom teeth being pulled 7 years ago. Your name is on the bottle BUT, the bottle expired.

Guess what? You just lost your right to own a gun for a VERY long time because you forgot to disclose to the Police that WHILE IN OWNERSHIP OR POSSESSION of a gun, you were also under the influence of a controlled substance EVEN THOUGH the "medicine" was prescribed to you by a license physician. SUCKS, don't it?

My point is this, Sir:

why are we punishing responsible adults gun owners or even advocating any of this? The number of people lawfully abiding by gun laws DRASTICALLY outnumbers crimes committed by people with guns, regardless if that suspected criminal has registered firearms or obtained firearms illegally.

And another question to you, sir: why do the innocent always get punished by the criminally few? If you know the answer to that, you followed the MONEY.

And then you just realized what all of this is about.

Dig a little deeper, and you find LIBOR.

Then call me a conspiracy theorist and feel better.

Lima-1, out.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Wrong sir. Speaking for WA: you can own one, you just can't send a round through it.

Lima-1, out.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

nope just varies state by state you just have to pass an extensive background check and pay the atf tax and then its yours legaly alot more things come into play but that is the clifs notes of it

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I find it fascinating that Ms Feinstein has long been a voiciferous supporter of a policy and practice which has resulted in the abortions of over 50 million US children since 1973, yet has the audacity to use the tragic murder of 20 children to feign indignation and attack firearm ownership in this nation. Americans exercising their Second Amendment Right results in a relatively low percentage of gun deaths in this country.... Americans exercising their court awarded right of abortion results in the death of an American child 100% of the time the "right" is exercised.

THAT is the definition of a hyprocitical politician and, dare I say it, an ass.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
This is nothing new or unexpected. There's a group in Congress that introduces a gun ban almost every year. Feinstein is among that group. The fact that they're at it yet again should not be cause for alarm for any 2A proponents and the fact that they're waiting until the next Congress to push it should tell you what even they think of its chances.

Every day that passes, any significant ban becomes increasingly unlikely. In a week, people will be preoccupied with Christmas and New Years, and though it won't be forgotten, the emotional response is largely going to fade, and along with it, the pressure on Congress to push a ban will quickly fade as well, especially on the Republican side and in the GOP controlled House.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

like i said i am not anti gun .. i think the states is a unique situation and i would like to hear how you intend to allow the use of guns but stop these massacres occuring.

If you are going to comment, spend a minute or two reading previous posts.

'I Am Adam Lanza's Mother': A Mom's Perspective On The Mental Illness Conversation In America

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

You believe wrong.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join