It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think I have a great solution for Child Safety in America!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ajay59

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
I have a better idea, Allow all adult American citizens to carry anytime, anywhere. For safety, require frangible ammunition on aircraft.

My hat is off to you sir! I totally agree with every adult carrying. Drive by's would be a thing of the past as well for who in their right mind would attempt such a thing knowing that they would be driving through a hail of bullets. Just think of all the money our communities would save not having to fund law enforcement.

What if 3/4 of the nation don't want to carry guns? What are you going to do?...force them to carry weapons?

I think most people don't like guns so how is that going to help in our schools?

I think you and your friend you replied to are assuming the majority are gun-ho about guns. I don't think that's the case because I know a LOT of people simply don't like or believe in them. Now what?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
I strongly feel that all schools will be a thing of the pass (just like the little red school house) very soon. There are lots of college students are taking classes via the Internet so why not add webcam and a real teacher? The teachers can even work out of their homes and teach many many kids at once instead of crowding the classrooms. I think that will be the final solution to this mad mad mad world we're living in.

Learning to be social is a great aspect of going to school. You learn to share, you learn to speak in turn, you learn the world does not revolve around you. You learn more in school than just math and reading.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The best musing I've seen on what to do about hardening schools to prevent events like this that doesn't involve infringing on my right to bear arms.

Next, let's talk about the school once again, because here we see an over-reliance on half-measures and "feel good" ideation as well. The school locked the doors and required a buzzer to enter, which sounds reasonable. The problem is that they didn't armor the glass in the immediate vicinity of the door, making possible a trivial forced entry. A person intent on homicide doesn't care if he breaks a window (a petty crime) first. You can't reasonably replace all windows with shatter-proof panes (e.g. wired-mesh glass that can be shot through but will not break in a fashion that allows entry) but you can do so for that glass in an entry door or in its immediate vicinity, and you can for small windows in and immediately in the vicinity of classroom doors. You can also equip classroom doors with cylinder deadbolt locks that require a key from the outside to open, but can be operated without a key from the inside. These enhancements, which are pretty inexpensive, would have thwarted the shooter's forced entry into the school and if he gained entry to the building would have prevented his entry into the classrooms. There are reports that teachers had to use file cabinets and their bodies to barricade the doors; one was shot and injured doing so. That's outrageous when a quality deadbolt-equipped door and metal frame bolted to the structure of the building costs only a few hundred dollars.

From Market Ticker

The entire article is pretty good though those that can only say "guns are bad" probably won't like it.

Hardening schools better seems like something that those on either side of the gun control debate could agree on, and it would be relatively inexpensive. I don't think you could completely harden a school without turning it into a mini-prison, but anything that allows teachers to secure children in a room behind a solid door and good lock might buy enough time to save lives.

There are plenty of more controversial ideas floating around like arming teachers/admin, cop in every school, revoking school gun-free zone laws, and sadly, revoking the Second Amendment. Let's find some things we can all agree on that might better mitigate events like these before tackling the ideas that are sure to piss someone on the other side of the isle off.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I was very surprised to hear the doors were unlocked and unmonitored.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by k21968

Originally posted by Human_Alien
I strongly feel that all schools will be a thing of the pass (just like the little red school house) very soon. There are lots of college students are taking classes via the Internet so why not add webcam and a real teacher? The teachers can even work out of their homes and teach many many kids at once instead of crowding the classrooms. I think that will be the final solution to this mad mad mad world we're living in.

Learning to be social is a great aspect of going to school. You learn to share, you learn to speak in turn, you learn the world does not revolve around you. You learn more in school than just math and reading.

You're right. I didn't say it was perfect but I think everyone will feel protected though.

Sometimes we have to give up and try new venues. People are getting less and less social anyway. More people text and email then, speak on the phone.
People are so enthralled with their MP3 and iPods that many don't even socialize when they're in public. We're taught to fear strangers too.
So is that really what we want to subject our kids to all for the sake of our yesteryear memories when things were different?

Things are not the same. We're living in extremely uncertain times. And because of that we're paranoid and protective.
edit on 16-12-2012 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
I was very surprised to hear the doors were unlocked and unmonitored.

We're hearing a lot of mixed up garble right now. So we can't count on accuracy at all at the moment.

I read he shot open the doors with bullets like Rambo. Then I read the principle buzzed him in because they knew him. Now I'm hearing he just walked in.
So I bet one of these scenarios is right but which one?

New topic (sorry). I just heard a very touching sound byte from the father of one of the little girls who was murdered. I am sure he's trying to stay strong and not break down but he said "she beat us all up to paradise".
How friggin sweet and sad is that????

edit on 16-12-2012 by Human_Alien because: grammar

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying...are you using sarcasm? I'm not sure it comes off well on the written page.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
Just read this very good article - Thinking the unthinkable

You weren't kidding, great article!!

OP
I like your solution for the short term. I'm starting to believe the media play a huge role in this new trend. The media and mental health care issues.

I keep thinking about it too

I was bawling during tpous speech earlier.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join