It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Anti-Depressant Conspiracy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oroborus
reply to post by sebHFX

As much as I'd like to think it's all a placebo effect, you can't discount the physical side effects. I mean, me feeling electric waves going through my body, and wanting to throw up after stopping my medication shows that there is definately something in those pills other than just sugar. I mean, I was not predisposed to those issues being a possibility.

Yeah placebos wouldn't contain side effects I wouldn't have thought.
I used to get a tingly scalp, and also really insane twitches in my legs and arms. It took a while for the twitching to stop afterwards.
My mum used to take Prozac and she found she would gradually become tenser and tenser until she was almost locked in position. I experienced the same, and it was a trial to get myself to relax.
Also, I think regardless of the drug, pharmaceutical or not, the sickness and disorientation after stopping taking them is nothing more than good old fashioned withdrawal. If you're taking it for months on end and then suddenly stop, and get sick, it's the body's way of acclimatising to the drop of chemicals in your system.

Even if the come down effects are serverely adverse, they don't last, and that's the thing to remember.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by boymonkey74

They have taken the edge of certain aspects like have stopped me snapping so easily and they stop me from feeling really low when the lows happen. But they don't stop this from happening completely just less servere. I am not sure that using medication is helping me, I feel I would be better treated with education and CBT.

Like boymonkey said, you should not just come off your medication. You need to ween yourself off them rather than just stop. However if you are interested in CBT. May I suggest,The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness by Jon Kabat Zinn. Have a look into this method of CBT it is certainly helping me through some issues. Not depression, but mindful CBT can be used many different cases.
edit on 22-12-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT) is psychological therapy that is designed to aid in preventing the relapse of depression, specifically in individuals with Major depressive disorder (MDD).[1] It utilizes traditional Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) methods and adds in newer psychological strategies, like mindfulness and mindfulness meditation. Cognitive methods could include educating the participant about depression

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 22-12-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Ive been on prozac for 4 years and whenever i come off, the sympotoms start again. However they do allow me to get drunk quicker and avoid hangovers, that reason and the slight buzz is why im still on them.
Doctors more or less throw them at you nowadays, and prescribe them without question, though i would put it down to incompetency rather than conspiracy

<< 1   >>

join