It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Jesus saying to his disciples at the last supper.....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Okay, let me get this straight...we're going to make up what Jesus said at the Last Supper to his disciples based on a painting by a dude who lived 1500 years later and obviously was having some issues with Christian doctrine, versus looking to the scriptural accounts?

Is this an accurate summary of the point of this thread?

Not only couldn't I have said this better myself, but I'm also very grateful this was said. This thread need to be renamed to "Another Da Vinci Code thread" and be consolidated with all the others. Points for originality = 0. Wanna know what Jesus is saying to his disciples at the last supper? Here it is:

On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Where do you want us to make preparations for you to eat the Passover?"
He replied, "Go into the city to a certain man and tell him, 'The Teacher says: My appointed time is near. I am going to celebrate the Passover with my disciples at your house.' " So the disciples did as Jesus had directed them and prepared the Passover.

When evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the Twelve. And while they were eating, he said, "I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me."

They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, "Surely not I, Lord?"

Jesus replied, "The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born."

Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, "Surely not I, Rabbi?"
Jesus answered, "Yes, it is you."

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body."

Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom."

Matthew 26:17 - 29

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Most painters paint what ever happens to be on their mind at the time,he obviously had his opinions as everyone else does,just because he painted it has no bearing of truth,and as Valhall saidthe dude painted the picture some 1500 years later,I'm really amazed how some never take common sense into view

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Okay, let me get this straight...we're going to make up what Jesus said at the Last Supper to his disciples based on a painting by a dude who lived 1500 years later and obviously was having some issues with Christian doctrine, versus looking to the scriptural accounts?

Is this an accurate summary of the point of this thread?

obviously the da vinci painting is an interpretation according to the artist.. many other paintings of the last supper have been done as well, all interpretations of the artist.

and to be quite honest, labeling da vinci as a "dude who lived 1500 years later" isnt really a good way to put it.. we are talking about an extremely intelligent, gifted artist, scientist, inventor, etc. It's not as if he's just another artist and thats all.. clearly his interpretation of the last supper came from somewhere, was influenced by something. As with all pieces of art, it is completely open to interpretation of the person who is viewing it. Some people's views are biased when looking at because of faith. Others are biased because of ignorance.

Looking at the piece out of religious context, one can really begin to actually see what is going on in the painting. I suggest everyone at least attempt to do this. Temporarily forget what you know about religion and christianity and just look at the painting as a piece of art and see what you see then. It might amaze you.

Coming back to the "what is he saying at the last supper." question..
it could be any number of things. Obviously this particular last supper painting is showing some sort of uproar or shock at something that was just said.. not necessarily by jesus either. Who knows what he said? Who knows if it ever even took place? It really is a matter of speculation from either end of the spectrum as to what is being said, or if it even took place.

I know I will get people responding here with , " blah blah it says here in the bible blah blah." Please don't insult me with this, I've read the book, I know what it says. My point being it is a book. A book which has been translated many times, and is chock full of stories passed down by word of mouth before it was even written down. Obviously much of it most certainly would have changed in that period of time. So taking what the bible says word for word as truth is absolutely ignorant.

Now I'm not saying that everything written in the bible is false, nor am I advocating anti-christian sentiment. I am just pointing out that it is really next to impossible to know for sure. We must also take into account the church and its corruptness throughout the centuries. But that is for another thread.

*note: Val i am not personally singling you out here I just chose to grab your post because it illustrated my point *

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 03:14 AM
link   
My personal take on what he's saying is something on the lines of: "Okay, who had the tuna again? It's down twice on the bill! Oh, you again Judas. Stop trying to get out of paying. You had all that wine too. John, you had the humus, right? And the chicken? Yeuch. It's your stomach. Damn, look at the total! Do you guys think I'm made of money? You try launching a religion on my salary! Stop whinging Judas! No, I don't want a loan!"

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Dudes I'm Gonna be a Dad!

Pop says its going to be TWINS

[edit on 23-5-2006 by stalkingwolf]

edited for non working codes

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   

"pass the bread"

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Jesus at the Last Supper:

"Dudes, I'm quitting the band!"

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerevar
Peter appears to be trying to push past the woman having to confront Jesus having shoved Judas out of the way. Some people would say that this woman is supposed to be John but i firmly believe that it is a woman sitting at the right hand of Jesus.

Yes, the disciple John looks very effeminate. If you remove the mustache from Leonardo’s depiction of Jesus, that is also a feminine face. So what?

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen

"pass the bread"

We're getting close!

Matthew 26:26

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body."

Mark 14:22

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take it; this is my body."

Christ also explains what it means to be "the bread of life" here in John 6:

"When they found him on the other side of the lake, they asked him, "Rabbi, when did you get here?"
Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval."

Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?"

Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

So they asked him, "What miraculous sign then will you give that we may see it and believe you? What will you do? Our forefathers ate the manna in the desert; as it is written: 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.'"

Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world."

"Sir," they said, "from now on give us this bread."

Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day."

At this the Jews began to grumble about him because he said, "I am the bread that came down from heaven." They said, "Is this not Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How can he now say, 'I came down from heaven'?"

"Stop grumbling among yourselves," Jesus answered. "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the Prophets: 'They will all be taught by God.' Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me. No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father. I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life. I am the bread of life. Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which a man may eat and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."

Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?"

Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your forefathers ate manna and died, but he who feeds on this bread will live forever." He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join