It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aurora Alert Follows-

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Hellmutt, I am curious, as to the story behind your avatar- I like it for sure! Is it real, with the coyote, or is a photoshop?

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by E_T
Damn these clouds, watch that photo by USAF Defense Meteorological Satellite... Auroras would have covered whole sky here.

www.spaceweather.com...

Still cloudy here, too. Tis fustrating, isn't it? Oh well, maybe on the next big burst.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Journey
Hellmutt, I am curious, as to the story behind your avatar- I like it for sure! Is it real, with the coyote, or is a photoshop?

I just liked the picture. Most likely photoshop, I believe...

[edit on 2005/1/23 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Here´s another pic to those who missed the show (including me) :
Click picture for more...

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Well folks, it's that time of the year again, and may you too, one night, witness the beauty of the aurora borealis. As we are just starting to get nightfall here in Alaska, I await my first sighting this year! For those that do not recall, I post the alert from the University of Fairbanks in this thread. I find they are very accurate. Aurora Alert follows-

"Two successive medium size solar flares happened today. The shocks
from these flare are predicted to arrive at Earth during the evening
and night of August 23/24 (US central time) and might give us some
aurora. These aurora may be visible in the extreme northern part of
Michigan and Maine and similar latitudes."

--Dirk Lummerzheim

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
The latest alert follows, sounds as if this might be a good one.
Aurora Alert Follows-

"A very bright solar event took place on September 7th around 5:45 pm Greenwich
Time. It is not directly facing Earth, but the shock wave will combine with
that of an earlier event to produce a significant effect at Earth.

We predict that it will arrive on Sept 9 around 11 am Greenwich Time. Because
it will arrive in the morning in Europe (early morning in the US), its effects
will be seen first in southern New Zealand, Tasmania and Siberia. Depending on
the nature of the shock, there should be aurora visible in southern scandinavia,
Scotland and northern US on the evening of the 9th.

Note that this event could be followed by others of similar magnitude as the
active region (No. 0808) moves westward accross the sun, facing Earth by the
weekend. This could result in aurora for the middle US and Northern Europe."

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Love it when you're around Journey!
Looking forward to a potential show coming up.
I have a pretty good northern view..Very dark and clear..
But I have to wait for the stronger events..I'm close to the Latitude of
San Francisco..

Thanks again for the Heads up..

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The aurora gave a spectacular show most of last night up in Maine! This is only the second time I've seen it, and the first time was short and unimpressive. But last night, wow! It started as a featureless glow in the north. By around 3am it had spread up and over to the other south side of the sky (down to the horizon) until nearly all of the sky had aurora. Pillars of light were popping up and zig-zagging around, and these "pulses" at least once a second kept going through the aurora from north to south -- I had no idea that auroras pulsed, what's up with that anyway?

Wow... I'm still excited about it!

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by asawa
The aurora gave a spectacular show most of last night up in Maine!.....
Wow... I'm still excited about it!

You have discovered the magic, and the beauty of the aurora borealis! Yes, they pulse, move, I have even seen them when they look like a huge tornado.
The manner in which the lights radiate their beauty leaves one to wonder-and is an awesome sight to behold, especially with every thing else going on in the world these days.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Beautiful Aurora Borealis from Norway.

Photo: Arctic Photo gallery - Bjorn Jorgensen

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
none of these pictures are edited in any way???

these pics are amazing...

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
none of these pictures are edited in any way???

Nope, I don´t think so.

I´ve seen the northern lights several times myself and this is what it looks like. Sometimes green, other times white and even red. The lights moves very quickly across the sky, and I mean very quickly. I´ve also heard a sparkling sound, like high-voltage electricity. It has always been extremely cold on those occasions when I´ve seen the northern lights. Colder than minus 20 degrees celsius. I don´t know if there´s some kind of connection between the aurora borealis and cold weather, but I suspect it.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I'll back up what is shown in those pics...I lived in Yellowknife, Canada, for 3 winters and the amazing beauty of the Aurora Borealis is unforgettable.
The colour is unbeleivable and sheets of it move across the sky like curtains blown by the winds.

I swear you can hear the icy sizzle as they swoosh overhead when they are particularly active. (spooky)

Anyone who has been north of the 60th parallel during the winter months, and sees the Aurora Borealis when it is really spectacular comes away with a feeling of being part of the universe... and not just an earth dweller.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
I´ve seen the northern lights several times myself and this is what it looks like. Sometimes green, other times white and even red. The lights moves very quickly across the sky, and I mean very quickly. I´ve also heard a sparkling sound, like high-voltage electricity. It has always been extremely cold on those occasions when I´ve seen the northern lights. Colder than minus 20 degrees celsius. I don´t know if there´s some kind of connection between the aurora borealis and cold weather, but I suspect it.

w0w...

you're lucky...

where have you seen them???

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
where have you seen them???

I´ve seen them in Norway. masqua´s description of the northern lights as "move across the sky like curtains blown by the winds" is very good. Or maybe like when you zip down "blind-curtains" or whatever you call those things you use for your windows (inside) to keep the sunlight out from your room.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

I've seen them in Norway.

A quick google map reference showed me that Norway definately is north of the 6oth parallel, so your experiences with the Aurora Borealis are comparable to mine.

You and I both agree, through the experiences, that we could hear it as it moved above us. Many will not believe this no matter how often I swear it's the truth.

There have been times when it seemed to touch the earth around me, it was so intense. As well, I've seen them move VERY rapidly across the sky.

Yellowknife, if you look on the North American map, is above Alberta, in Canada, on the north shore of Great Slave Lake.

The winters there are dry and clear, with very little snow accumulation. With the lack of light polution in that remote area, coupled with the fact that, at the time I lived there, Yellowknife had a population of perhaps 3 thousand, you can imagine the nights being very good for viewing.

Also, in December and January there is no daylight other than a 'false dawn' and 'false sunset'. (The sun does not make it to the horizon) The nights are 20-22 hours long. Great for watching one of natures rarest shows.

Also, if anyone was ever to go there, I would suggest doing so in the winter, when the people of Yellowknife are in a festive mood. Summers are for work and winters are for laying back with your neighbours and partying.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I live in Quebec, pretty close to montreal. About 3 or 4 days ago i witnessed the aurora borealis full blown, 2 times in one night. The lights at first seemed to come out of nowhere and form long snake like patterns in the sky. They where multicolored at times. I also noticed waves that were probbaly moisture quickly ascending up into the sky over the lighted areas. Here is what doesn't make sense to me. That night it was about 5 to 8 degrees outside. It is 3-4 days later and the past two days it has been 30 degrees during the day and about 18 degrees at night. This temperature change is pretty weird. Is it normal to witness this during september?

(Btw some of the lights just randomly come out of nowhere, as if a portal was opening up in the sky., it was amazing.)

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I live in Alaska, so I am fortunate that I am able to view the lights quite often during the winter months. The displays actually cause traffic accidents here on occasion, when people are trying to watch as they are driving, some people call them "ditch lights" for that reason...Also, for a unique honeymoon, take a flight to Fairbanks during the winter- the displays are there most every night. The Japanese come here during the winter, to concieve(newly weds) under the displays- it is good fortune to them.
Good news, another alert follows!

"Auroral activity remains high as the active region 0808 moves across
the solar disk. Aurora reached Northern Europe, Middle USA on
Saturday night. Somewhat less activity (southern scandinavia,
northern US) will continue unless another large event from 0808
occurs."

Prediction by [Chuck Deehr]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 05:30 AM
link   
An X1 class solar flare has occurred from sunspot 798. Its effects should be hitting earth tonight Sept. 14-15.
X series can cause planet wide radio blackouts, so this will be interesting.
The CME of Sept 9 was an X17, by comparison this is much smaller. Good thing it wasn't directed at us.

Should be excellent for Aurora...bad for communication.

www.spaceweather.com...

[edit on 14-9-2005 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
spaceweather has said on the 14/15th there is to be another coronal mass ejection so People everywhere should be on the lookout for aurora's.

I hope it doesn't remain cloudy here in mi tonight..
I checked the sky last night when we were in the hot tub and all I saw were stars and con trails...

no aurora's

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join