It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN bid to control the internet stalls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

UN bid to control the internet stalls

www.theaustralian.com.au

A UNITED-NATIONS-led move to give itself a role in regulating the internet has stalled with the US refusing to sign onto an agreement.

The US has announced it will not sign the global telecom treaty being negotiated at a UN gathering in Dubai because it opens the door to governmental regulation of the internet, the US delegation chief said today.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

“The United States today announced it cannot sign (the treaty regulations) in their current form,” Terry Kramer, the head of the US delegation to the World Conference on International Telecommunications, said in a teleconference from Dubai.

"The US has consistently believed and continues to believe that the (UN treaty) should not extend to Internet governance or content," Kramer added."The version that's out there now looks like the near-final one," he said. "It looks unlikely it will materially change."

Holy crap this is huge.

I am so glad that the USA, UK and Canada have refused to ratify the UN's bid to regulate and control the internet, as it has now completely stalled their efforts (until a new proposal emerges). Even still ,the likelihood of the document being drastically modified is slim, as it is near it's completion.

I guess the question now (for the time being) is what will the individual governments put in place in case the UN bid completely and permanently fails.

www.theaustralian.com.au (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

wait huh?

Is this the right dimension I'm in? I think I got off on the wrong floor.

Maybe the regulation was too weak, and they want their own rules?
Or do they actually want to keep the internet open?
Or maybe companies would lose a lot of money if the UN bid went through?

Is the NWO not real?

time to read the article.

Wait that was You?? You were the one who made me find the Red Book.. Wow haha.. Just saw your sig.. Thanks for that.

edit on 12/14/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Breaking news: US does something good for the world for once.

Just trying to save face so they continue screwing the world over in other ways imo.

Hey this ATS, I gotta put a negative spin on it.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
this can't be right.

if the USA doesn't want it then..... maybe I do? I'm confused!

(it is difficult being a self-loathing American.)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

I hope it doesn't just stalls but shrivels up and dies a horribly slow and painfully agonizing death!

Hey,

One can hope.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Oh the US is just afraid Dubai will now find the skeletons in the closet.

They only do something good when it interest them.

Quite obvious they frown upon the rules.

Dubai must be laying down some harsh zoning rules.

Besides why must Dubai be the sole controller of the internet anyway?

If they bring back Online Poker... I'm all for it.

edit on 14-12-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
The internet has woken up the average Joe.
If they try to regulate it or shut it down, it'll only backfire on them.
"If you kick a stone in anger, you'll hurt your own foot".
If they were to try and stop this, the average Joe has now the knowledge to get up and find some other avenue to spread it.
There's an army of humans with good intentions, ready.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Stalled is part of the story. But it's not the whole story. I've got a thread covering the WCIT 2012 Dubai conference and the most recent entry explains the trickery and Tom foolery that's currently going on.

Hint... many of the same tricks that King George used against the men who would go on to be referred to as "The Founding Fathers"..

~Heff

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
ICANN, under agreement with the US Dept. of Commerce, manages the domain name and internet addressing systems. I don't think they were ever planning on letting the UN take over.

So far, Immigration and Customs Enforcement has only seized a few thousand domains related to copyright infringement and counterfeit goods, all(?) of which were .com and .net, which the US claims jurisdiction over in any case.
edit on 14-12-2012 by ZE337 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
With social media networking sites like facebook and search engines like google (along with gmail and google cloud, their browser google chrome) logging everything you search and say in their database and providing it to the Government, why would they want regulations?

It would only hinder their ability to see exactly what people are saying, looking into, and thinking. Sort of like a climate-mood-survey for the U.S. for free, along with possible "threats" they perceive. Big Brother and The Man don't want any other countries dipping into their chocolate.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I hope it doesn't just stalls but shrivels up and dies a horribly slow and painfully agonizing death!

Hey,

One can hope.

It more or less has due to the African amendment. Go Africa!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
didnt the U.S.A. invent the internet? because of this we should be able to monitor control our own not let the un do it, seems like job creation to me

new topics

top topics

join