It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Have No Purpose, You Think You are Sooooo Special, Don't You?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
what? but my teachers said that i was special and i could one day grow up and be an astronaut because thats how easy they made it sound to be

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Man, I'm glad I was born me and not you.

I have a life, you have an existence.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Here are a few fields of thoughts on purpose I was thinking of.

1. Purpose is given from the creator.
God breathed life into man for a reason.

What is Gods plan, and why should you trust him?

2. Evolution is purposeless
Randomness is without reason.

Whats the purpose of evolving, why should anything evolve?

3. Self purpose is limiting.
You only can do what you can reason.

What's your plan and why is it better than someone else's?

Summary
Gods plan is founded in his infinite wisdom
Evolutions plan is found then lost and then found in science.
Your plan is limited to your finite reasoning.

My conclusion

I chose to trust God as the omniscient creator who loved me enough to allow me the freedom of choice, so that I might choose Him over my own limited in scope will. He provided the Bible and the Holy Spirit as tools to help me understand how I can avoid falling for falsehoods and demolish the fear that interrupts me from following his plan.

I do pray that you will find some clarity on this issue of purpose.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

Nihilist.

That's all I have to say.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

well you seem to have a purpose...spreading atheism...what's the difference from you spreading atheism to someone spreading Christianity..neither can be 100% sure until death..

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

Not Atheism, Nihilism. Expect an increase in this kind of thinking over the coming years...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
"I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy # we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

Fight Club
Tyler Durden

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

That quote does make me want to go head to head with another dude and knock ten bells of sh*t out of eachother, just to feel alive.

Eta: star for you because I love the hidden meanings in fight club.
edit on 14-12-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus

Bravo!!!!!! That's the logical conclusion a materialist atheist has to eventually come to. No purpose, no soul, no conscience......

I have a conscience, probably more well developed than a lot of people, hell if you see a guy picking up worms on a rainy day from off the sidewalk and tossing onto a lawn, well, that's me, say hello.

Therefore steal, eat, conquer, impregnate the world over, forget your neighbors, eff everything cause in the end it doesn't matter

I'm not a thief, yes I do eat (everything on my plate, because to throw out leftovers is unethical when there are 2/3rds of the worlds population who would kill to lick my plate) , I am not a conquerer, and impregnate? Sure, as I have no kids due to crap luck in mate choice, impregnating is not ruled out.
My neighbours? Gonna be hard impregnating them.

Well, I am moral without religion, as if religion was ever moral, which it is not. (read the bible people, even the sick parts)

I don't need religion or a purpose to be a decent human being.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSubversiveOne

You don't have purpose? Then why get out of bed in the morning? It's meaning you don't have, nor personal insight.

In that case we should all stay in bed, because if you must tell yourself Bull**** to start your day you are lying to yourself, I said this earlier, and I'll repeat it.

'The key to happiness is feeding yourself BS.'

There are phony happy people everywhere, what I need really is a good heaping cup-o-ignorance, some people are spilling over, maybe I can get their spillins'.

That's why I need a sense of humour, it balances things out!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing
Fortunately there are a number of anti depressant drugs available to you, consult your physician.

Looking into it, at least ADD meds.

we have 90 year old people who drive cars into buildings on a daily basis just for kicks.

If I live to be 90, it's going to be so much fun playing senile!
Oh the humanity, the stuff you can get away with!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

And I'll say it again for the 3rd time, don't take it the wrong way:

'The key to happiness is to feed yourself BS.'

Hey, if turning away from atheism made you happy, go with it.
Santa makes kids happy, why not, eh?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
Man, I'm glad I was born me and not you.

I have a life, you have an existence.

One of us is right, that means one of us is delusional.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

Nihilist.

That's all I have to say.

Sure.

That's all.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

Now, am I going to have to put this movie on my bucket list, because it sounds interesting and people quote this movie all the time.
I thought it was just about a club, where people have boxing matches or bare-nuckle or whatever. Sounds deeper than that.

Sounds like a movie about 'lost purposes'

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
reply to post by resoe26

Now, am I going to have to put this movie on my bucket list, because it sounds interesting and people quote this movie all the time.
I thought it was just about a club, where people have boxing matches or bare-nuckle or whatever. Sounds deeper than that.

Sounds like a movie about 'lost purposes'

Its WAYYY Deeper than that!
Check it out.
You'll notice something new everytime you watch it.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I now have a purpose in life, not given by a god of course.
My purpose is to watch fight club for the first time.

From what I hear it does sound deep, which to me seems bizarre, how do you mix sweaty smelling locker rooms to deepness is beyond me?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
Do we have a purpose, or a reason to be alive ?

Being alive IS the purpose.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
At the end of the day the true fact remains: We dont know. When your born into this world you dont know. So people tell you. Then you get older and try to figure stuff out on your own, but still you dont know.
I may lean towards not believing in a higher power or purpose, though I think humanity as a whole has a great opportunity to make so much more of this world, but at the end of the day Im willing to admit, I dont know.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I have got another angle for the religious folks.
Would not having a god given purpose bestowed on upon you by a god interfere with free will?

Really though, how can you make your own life map when there is one drawn for you?

So if YahWeh says we have free will, how can we have a god given purpose.
Yet another contradiction.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join