We Have No Purpose, You Think You are Sooooo Special, Don't You?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Not only that, but it also provokes believers to try and convince me otherwise to what my subject is about. Think of it like a challenge, a call to convince the non-believers.
Believers, is that your purpose?

Better sharpen your pencils because it's going to be quite a challenge to make believers out of people by serving them up unproven 'facts'.

And please, do not quote the bible, that proves nothing, and we don't read it anyway.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Here is the way I look at it.

My own purpose may not be so glaringly obvious to me but could be for someone else. I could have said one simple sentence to someone one day that completely changed that persons life for the better and I might not even know it.

Keeping to that mindset keeps me ticking on just fine.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I don't recall quoting the bible but you were probably generalizing. The Bible is a book and all books provoke thought whether you believe them literally or not. So the Bible is in fact a good read and everyone can learn something from it.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by pbasonuk

I believe in a purpose in the here and now, which is mainly to feed a bunch of cats, but let me be clear, I am talking about the eternal soul type of purpose.
We all need a purpose, but do we still have a purpose other than landfill when we die?
How can we influence the Universe?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
I don't recall quoting the bible but you were probably generalizing. The Bible is a book and all books provoke thought whether you believe them literally or not. So the Bible is in fact a good read and everyone can learn something from it.

Yes, sorry, I was generalizing and addressing the whole group, not you in particular.

Yes, the bible can be a good read, as a historical document.
You can also learn how evil YahWeh was and how people used YahWeh to commit unspeakable attrocities.
I tell people that the first step toward atheism is to actually read the bible, most Christians out there own bibles in pristine condition with a spine in mint condition. Then they go to church and hear the good news, they would stop going if the priest focused on the evil that god has done.
It's like being served a crap sandwich, you love them, just pick off the crap and eat the delicious bun!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund

They key to happiness is to feed yourself BS!

Good OP.

For those of you saying "Speak for yourself, I have given myself a purpose." .......thank you for making Toadmund's point.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
We are not born with a purpose, it is something te individual decides.

We should not assign purpose to anything.. Tree is just there, it has no purpose. Water is just there.... Nature is 'just' there.. just because you see a small piece of the pie, that does not give you the right to assign something a Purpose.

There is no meaning for life. It just is.

____

Now if i really have to give a meaning...my personal opinion would be to perfect our genes..

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
It just is.

That's really all I was trying to say, thanks for summarizing it for us.
It just is, no purpose, just turned out this way.
And then we die and some are born, no purpose beyond death.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The spirit in the sky created us so that we could tend his garden. So we are all gardeners, or thats what the buybull tells us. So I am going off to do some right this moment. (Keep in the good books of the spirit in the sky.)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

My previous signature used to say "DO NOT GIVE PURPOSE TO NATURE, IT JUST IS"... i got that type of thinking when someone was telling me god has a purpose for everyone and everything.. that statement just pissed me off. It did not satisfy my mind.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I'd argue that to know our ultimate purpose, or to know we haven't got one, would involve knowing why the universe was here in the first place. Anyone care to tell me how we all got here in the first place, no seriously i'd really like to know

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Yes, like there is a purpose to fleas, hookworms and rabies!

Otherwise I love nature, it just is. Just like the parasites, they just is!

It's amazing how it evolved on it's own, to say it was created by a god only cheapens it. It does not exist to please god for what 'he created'

It's the way it is because it found balance, but I guess the purpose of humanity is to throw it off balance.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopeforeveryone

So would we all, but to say god did it to give us purpose for eternity is simply to answer a question with a non-answer.
If you don't know, god did it!

Nobody knows the answer to that.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I have never been able to grasp, or empathize, with people who have a belief that their individual life has a purpose, or some sort of importance (beyond whatever you choose to give it). How can anyone even imagine that?? I want to treat this humorously, but remind myself that for some, it is serious somehow.

LIke if you could hear a grain of sand say such a silly thing, it is hard to be sympathetic and not giggle a bit......

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

I too dislike the "god did it" explanation. Ends all thinking about the topic. We have limits to our knowledge, but it seems humans try and fill in the blanks with whatever is subjectively apealing to them.

I recall a saying about really wise people know they know nothing, but knowing they knew nothing, that would be something. Tricky.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

You just said the key to happiness is to not have a self.

It's the buddhist philosophy.

The problem I see is that so long as we're alive we have a self.

Sure, I'll give it to you that there's a measure of self. So I might come up 0.3 between 0 and 1. Or I might score a hefty .88. It all depends on what we define as "self". The way I see it, every action we make is a reflection of the self. We can try to run away from it, but the absolute difference between the smallest measure of self and the highest measure is very small.

I do believe that greed is a fundamental trait of self. Greed is natural, basically. This is as opposed to many religious thinkers who believe that greed is voluntary and subject to free will. Of course, not everybody agrees that free will even exists. There're so many thoughts out there pertaining to it.

Am I greedy for wanting enough food to sustain my body? Am I greedy if I eat too much because of a gene in my genetics and a bad experience in my past that causes addiction? Blah blah. I could go on and on, but I know it's pointless since there're as many opinions as there're grains of sand.

I don't blame anybody in the world. I blame the creator, if there's one. But it may turn out that the creator is a lot like us. So maybe I'll end up not being able to blame anything. The only logical choice is if I come to the conclusion this life is evil and corrupt and un-fixable, I'll just kill myself. Otherwise, it's a lot of smoke. It's much ado about nothing. You live or you die. Make a decision.

I don't hold it against anyone if they take their life. I consider that a right of the person. But at the same time, if they believe this life is evil and un-fixable and they remain here, well, shut up!
edit on 13-12-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Yep. We think of ourselves to have purpose so as to not perceive our existence to be in vain on a humanistic level. Humans in fact only have one basic, primal purpose that we all share - to spread our DNA in order to procreate in order to hopefully continue the survival of the species - we're no better on a basic physical level than dogs or ants. Even ancient Egyptians or Christ himself, even though known now 2,000+ years after their physical life, won't be known in another 25,000 years from now. Us less known rabble are just a speck of dust on another speck of dust on the timeline of humanities' existence. It's only a natural human reaction to fear of the unknown when we leave this mortal coil. No one knows for sure if they're is some kind of existence after we die, and the prospect of this being it is what strikes the deepest fear in a person.
edit on 13-12-2012 by UnBreakable because: spelling

'Can you imagine 4,000 years passing, and you're not even a memory ? Think about it, friends. It's not just a possibility. It is a certainty.'' - Jean Shepherd

edit on 13-12-2012 by UnBreakable because: Added quote

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
"A person is a person, no matter how small" ~ Dr. Seuss

‎"If you think you are too small to make a difference
you have never spent the night with a mosquito." - The Dalai Lama

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Hopeforeveryone and bluesma.
It's all about fuzzy feel-goodness and ego.
To think you (not you two) are so special that god has a special mission just for you.

How arrogant and selfish.

I wonder if the millions of starving kids in this world believe god has a special purpose for them?
To die 'fat free' and not leave a greasy stain?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

How did Yahweh turn into myway. Either my way or the highway.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join