It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Worlds Longest 10Gigabit Ethernet LAN (fix)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The IEEE standards are approved, and the big ISP's are installing large fiber networks. The only card out of place was the live realtime global test of the 10 gig network WAN. These guys just pulled of the test with flying colors. It is now just a matter of duplicating there results, and agreeing to the standards I believe. Just think about how much faster the internet will be when this is fully implemented!

www.physorg.com
The world's longest native 10Gigabit Ethernet circuit for the transmission of data from the Japanese Data Reservoir project to the CERN research center in Geneva, Switzerland, has been completed by engineers in Japan, Canada, United States, The Netherlands, and CERN Switzerland

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

You can imagine the difference in the volume and speed of the networks soon. Not to mention the price change.

Related News Links:
www.gigaport.nl
www.wide.ad.jp
www.lbl.gov

[edit on 23-10-2004 by makeitso]

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Yes the speed is great. But transfer times are already negligible over cable. The only will advantage will be volume; that is, the carriers will be able to squeeze more people onto the trunks. Induvidual users will see little increase in speed. Also, the price will be prohibitive. I would guess like 2 grand a month, in the US, but I am not calibrated.

new topics

join