It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay marriage to be illegal in Church of England

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk

The Church of England and Church in Wales will be banned in law from offering same-sex marriages, the government has announced.

Other religious organisations will be able to "opt in" to holding ceremonies, Culture Secretary Maria Miller said.

But she added that the Church of England and Church in Wales had "explicitly" stated strong opposition and would not be included.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
This seems really strange - other churches will be able to carry out same-sex marriages if they choose to, or not if they do not want to.

but the law will make it ILLEGAL for the CoE to do so - that churcdh will not actually be able to choose.

I know it is still the "established church" in the UK - but this seems very odd.

Would any of our UK members like to comment on why this clause is proposed from the local pov??

www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Why should anyone care? Why should a gay couple think it's a right to be married in any church they please? Why should a gay couple even want to be married in a church that obviously looks down their noses at them?
edit on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 19:58:57 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I don't have a problem with a church not wanting to marry gays. If people do not like it, they are free to go elseware. I'm against a government making a law that forces a church to marry gays (or anyone for that matter)--freedom of religion and all that. I'm befuddled as to why a government would ban gas marriage in one church and not the others. Makes no sense to me either. IIR, the Queen is the head of the Anglican Church, might it have something to do with this?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
"to be illegal"

its "illegal" already....!!!??

is this an attempt to flip the scipt....and apply pressure?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The article's headline is a little misleading. From the source I received the impression that the government was considering passing a law to make same-sex marriages legal, but wouldn't override the desires of churches which don't want to be forced to offer them.

Gay marriage to be illegal in the Church of England? My impression was that's the current status for the country. It is that status which the government is trying to change in plans that won't be implemented for three years.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
If the government can force a church to something that is against its doctrine what is next? The legality of your salvation? A worship license?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I don't really know much about it but isn't Queen Elizabeth 2nd the head of the church of England. I can only guess that she has a problem with people of a different sexual persuasion getting married on her property.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
So a church that was set up purely to give a fat old bigamist tyrant a DIVORCE is worried about gays threatening the sanctity of marriage? Is anyone else seeing the irony in this?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Amadeo

she is the titular head - but it carries little real power....uless of course you think she also owns teh USA, etc.

She appoints bishops on the advice of the Prime minister, and they take an oath of allegiance to her.

But it is the General Synod that has actual authority (both theoretically and practically) on matters of faith and doctrine.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by Amadeo

she is the titular head - but it carries little real power....uless of course you think she also owns teh USA, etc.

Hehe nah that's Ronald Mcdonald and Haliburton

What's the point being a Head of something if you can't exercise any power ? Oh well churches are dying out in the UK anyways so it's a bit of a non-issue for most of us in the UK unless you're Christian and have a thing against homosexuals getting married, or gay, christian and want to get married in church
edit on 11-12-2012 by Hopeforeveryone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

I wasn't referring to Queen Elizabeth II but Henry VIII, the founder of the C of E. Henry broke from Rome so he could have the divorce from Katherine of Aragon he so desperately wanted and it's this same church that now has its knickers in a fankle over gays threatening the sanctity of marriage. It's a bit rich coming from an organisation whose original purpose was to facilitate a divorce.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Gay marriage is an internet hoax and does not exist.

What you are actually seeing is called homosexual unions.

They are the result of the right conditions at certain altitudes and high humidity.

Move along, nothing to see here.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The way I am reading it, all religious organisations at the highest level have said that they will allow individual churches/ministers to perform same sex marriages if they choose to. However the CoE/W have said no, under no circumstances do they want it in any of their churches.

So those that have opted in will have the law changed to allow it, but it will remain illegal in the CoE/W.

I agree with this, I would fight for gay rights if I thought the cause was just, equal rights and all that, but this is religion we are talking about here, we cannot force any institution to abide by ideals they do not agree with.

Marriage is a religious institution, between a man and a woman under the eyes of God.

If religion frowns upon homosexuality, gays should not want to get married in church, nothing wrong with civil partnerships if they want to show the world their love for each other.

Equal rights gone too far, it is no different to me saying I want to get changed in the womens change rooms because women are allowed to, so should men be.

I apologise to the gay community, and I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Nutshell reply:

1. A government should not be involved in a religious institution, passing laws and all that.

2. If a specific church/religion opposed gay marriage, so what? That's their right to NOT marry homosexuals.

3. As long as the government allows a LAWFUL marriage and equal rights are maintained, then no toes are being stepped on as far as one group having superiority over another.

4. Here in 'Murika, apparently that's still an issue. The government (fed and state) are still on the fence over whether gay marriage should be legal. That's just pathetic. If the Catholic Church, or any Church, doesnt want to marry them, fine. But gays SHOULD be allowed to be LEGALLY wed under law.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk

The Church of England and Church in Wales will be banned in law from offering same-sex marriages, the government has announced.

Other religious organisations will be able to "opt in" to holding ceremonies, Culture Secretary Maria Miller said.

But she added that the Church of England and Church in Wales had "explicitly" stated strong opposition and would not be included.

Hi,

The full article gives further information. Basically, this is to stop individual churches/vicars performing same sex marriage locally as it goes against the stance taken by CoE and CoW. I assume (and it's just an assumption) the government has some leeway in doing this for the CoE and CoW as they are represented in the house of Lords whereas other religions are not - that is that bishops are members of the house of Lords to represent their church, this isn't the case with Catholicism, Judaism, Islam etc.

I think the word illegal is a bit strong. I actually believe it means that if a vicar is either sympathetic to gay marriage in church, or is publicity mad, or both, if they perform a same sex marriage in their church it will not be classed as a legal contract by the government and will not be recognised by the CoE/CoW.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amadeo
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

I wasn't referring to Queen Elizabeth II but Henry VIII, the founder of the C of E. Henry broke from Rome so he could have the divorce from Katherine of Aragon he so desperately wanted and it's this same church that now has its knickers in a fankle over gays threatening the sanctity of marriage. It's a bit rich coming from an organisation whose original purpose was to facilitate a divorce.

Yeah sorry I quoted teh wrong reply - should have been the one above.

it's another irony that Henry was awarded "Defender of the Faith" by the Pope for suppressing protestantism!!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked

www.bbc.co.uk

Hi,

The full article gives further information. Basically, this is to stop individual churches/vicars performing same sex marriage locally as it goes against the stance taken by CoE and CoW.

I saw that - but that is not what is illegal.

the law prohibits ANY religious person from doing SS marriages unless thair governing body allows it. the CoE is not unique in that

This law makes it illegal for the CoE to ever allow it in the first place - it actually make it ILLEGAL for eth CoE Synod to ever vote to allow SS marriages.....while allowing the Catholic church to do so if it ever wanted to, or Lutherans, or Moslems or anytone else to do so.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicWand67
Gay marriage is an internet hoax and does not exist.
What you are actually seeing is called homosexual unions.
Really can't tell if you are being facetious or not. Gay marriage is alive, well and legal here in the Great Pink North. As it should be, anywhere.

top topics

join