It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aussie man wants worlds least useful and least interesting superpower to be studied by scientists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
This probably belongs in the Jokes forum despite the fact this guy is serious

A Victorian man who believes the way he spins his body in a pool can defy the laws of physics is determined to have his "gift" studied despite scepticism from the scientific community.

Yep thats right, he spins in water

Peter, who is interested in "alternative healing", said he became aware of his talent when he jumped into a pool on Australia Day last year. "I hopped in the pool and spun around and I thought 'what the hell had happened?'," he said.

Imagine that, hopped into the water and started spinning!!!!!!!

Unbelievable what some people will do to get some attention, I shouldnt complain, it did give me a bit of a chuckle

Only if you have nothing better to do for the next 5 min should you read the article, its absolutely amazing what makes it into the MSM "News" nowadays

Article

edit on 10-12-2012 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-12-2012 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
S&F if just for the laughs you've given me.

On a more serious note you even linked a source
bonus.

SS

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff

despite skepticism

Ha.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Well, he earned you my star. I can only imagine watching this all happen.
*jumps in*
*spins*
"Wut"

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
wikipedia

A superpower is a state with a dominant position in the international system which has the ability to influence events and its own interests and project power on a worldwide scale to protect those interests. A superpower is traditionally considered to be a step higher than a great power.

Yellow being super power...

This makes no sense, there is only one official super power. There might be some up and comers, but it is still an extremely exclusive club.

edit on 10-12-2012 by Chargeit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Well that was even more disappointing than i thought it would be
Try pulling the plug for an even greater effect.

edit on 10-12-2012 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Defying the laws of common sense.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Lol

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

I don't understand beyond the mild humor what is so funny?

It's not proven one way or another what is at play here. Can electric currents change the currents of electrolyte containing water(pool water) ? Or is it some muscle movement mass shifting? They havn't found out yet..

Physics tells us that a cat should not be able to spin around in the air, because every movement the cat does is in free fall, and every action has an = and opposite reaction.. Cats still do it, and it doesn't violate physics, but it's something many would miss as a possibility just looking at equations. I imagine something similar is at play here.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I can make "magic bubbles" in the pool. Eat your heart out "spinning man"!
My grandkid can magically make the water temperature change. We have a whole family of people with "super powers".

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

I don't understand beyond the mild humor what is so funny?

It's not proven one way or another what is at play here. Can electric currents change the currents of electrolyte containing water(pool water) ? Or is it some muscle movement mass shifting? They havn't found out yet..

Physics tells us that a cat should not be able to spin around in the air, because every movement the cat does is in free fall, and every action has an = and opposite reaction.. Cats still do it, and it doesn't violate physics, but it's something many would miss as a possibility just looking at equations. I imagine something similar is at play here.

Huh

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Come on now man..

Cat falling problem

Cat turns right side up, without violating the law of conservation of angular momentum.
edit on 12/10/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

The solution of the problem, originally due to (Kane & Scher 1969), models the cat as a pair of cylinders (the front and back halves of the cat) capable of changing their relative orientations. Montgomery (1993) later described the Kane–Scher model in terms of a connection in the configuration space that encapsulates the relative motions of the two parts of the cat permitted by the physics.

So like I was saying I think something similar is going on here..

Makes sense?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The video was really disappointing
. I really had visions of him spinning so fast
:. He actually looked like he was gonna go under. Funniest story for a long time

Eta: ok I watched & read it a second time annnd I'm still pi$$ing myself laughing
:. He is serious!
edit on 10-12-2012 by feelingconnected because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Come on now man..

Cat falling problem

Cat turns right side up, without violating the law of conservation of angular momentum.

Double huh LOL

It sounds like ur smarter than me with this stuff coz I have no idea what u mean

For the less technically inclined of us, is this dude worthy of being in a comic book or is he just a nut?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff

Come on now man..

Cat falling problem

Double huh LOL

It sounds like ur smarter than me with this stuff coz I have no idea what u mean

For the less technically inclined of us, is this dude worthy of being in a comic book or is he just a nut?

Well I don't know how smart I am or am not, but as per my point. I do not know what is going on here, but I know of at least 2 explanations that should be tested. One is apparent violation (not actual) of conservation of momentum, and the other would be electric currents from the body changing the currents of water around a body so that the body is subtly pushed in a circle.. Water is polar even when it's distilled (pure), but with chlorine added, and oils, other electrolytes, minerals, electric current is conducted better.. This could possible cause currents to develop based on the bodies electric nature..

The cat thing is that cats can spin in the air without pushing off anything.. Air resistance is not enough to account for even a partial spin. So to conserve angular momentum a cat is sort of changing shape or springing, while following physics, it makes an "impossible" feat possible.

Neither explanation would make a superhero if that's what you are asking specifically.

I didn't mean to sound so boring though.
I do think this guy is a little, heh.. Hahaha

S and F for making my physics mind come back out. I don't know anything about this personally because I sink like a rock.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

S and F for making my physics mind come back out. I don't know anything about this personally because I sink like a rock.

Upload a vid of you sinking like a rock and maybe we can get scientists to study how you do it

Sinking like a rock seems about as remarkable to me as this guys spinning

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

to bad someone will come in with a buoyancy equation proving I am just a dense human being..

even with a full breath of air I do sink.. Sad, I wouldn't be the person who survives a shipwreck.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Can he do it in any pool? Is there a special current running through the water at thsi pool to enable hime to spin?

He must be wearing some sort of flotation device.....

It is interesting

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by magma

He must be wearing some sort of flotation device.....

doubt it.. The guy studying it would have noticed.. My girl can float all day.. she doesn't need to tread water..

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

This reminds me of those people who secretly think they have a superpower as they can make their ear's rumble when they are only moving a muscle, it has been on the boards a few times too over the years

One Example of superhuman meditation

Another Example of "special" abilities...

The cause of the super hero ear syndrome
edit on 10-12-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join