It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the Power Poles Lit on Fire in Texas is a Lie

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
www.abc.net.au...

It appears this is not the first time this stuff has been happening.
Check out this older story.

So are you biting on this, or does it sound bogus?
edit on 10-12-2012 by winterkill because: added material

Additional material I am now adding is from a conversation via skype I just had with a former employee of Northeast Utilities

B: MSM is lying about the poletop fires.
D: tell me
B: I used to work for Northeast Utilities
B: worked in the Mapping and Engineering department for 8 years
D: keep going
B: all lines are heavily insulated. The insulation is fire resistant
usually 1 in or more thick, and 2 to 3 different types of insulation are used
all connections are heavily insulated. About 20 or so years ago they even started using additional types of insulation materials...one in particular called "squirrel guards"
D: So its not possible to short out
B: exactly, it would take DECADES for that insulation to deteriorate to a condition which would cause a spontaneous combustion and would happen only on one or two poletops...not 40.
There are also firestops installed on poletops, especially on "primary" lines. Primary lines are higher than household voltage, but not as high as transmission lines. They are designed to carry a larger voltage over a longer area or a more heavily populated area. They are usually combined with what is called a "step down transformer" that "lowers" the voltage for household use.
The only time you see "primary" lines go into a building, is if it is a commercial building with lots of high voltage equipment.
Not only that, but at the time I was working for them (in the mid 80's and early 90"s) they were implementing a new technology called "direct buried" cable. This was electrical wire that was buried directly into the ground. This differed from the old way where they used to put the wires through a concrete conduit. If what the MSM was saying was true, then 1/4 of Western Massachusetts would spontaneously ignite as there are MILES of this buried in the ground because they would deteriorate very quickly...this is New England, with Moist summers and winters. That would make the insulating material deteriorate very quickly.

D: May I use this info without your name on it to post at ATS?
B: Be my guest.
D: thanks

edit on 10-12-2012 by winterkill because: added to thread title

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I think youve got it.....
nice work.....

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

Texas is a big state. You mind telling us where this is ?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
At first it was the lack thereof of rain which caused it, and now it is rain that's responsible? Interesting. Especially since this occurred in other states where no rain was recorded. Get your stories straight, MSM. This seems to make more sense to me, despite it appearing detrimental and potentially catastrophic.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
So we will have to start build cars that run on salt water and electricity. But they say there is more to the story.

physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

after light rain caused about 40 pole top fires overnight.

So the rain caused the fires?
Seems legit.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I used to work in the Engineering Department at a major Electric Company. I can tell you that this explanation does not sit right with me.

Electrical wires, transformers and other connections at the poles are insulated against these things. Anywhere that any type of connection is made, there is (and has been for a LONG time) methods by which the lines are insulated. The insulation surrounding these lines is more than an inch thick. The only way that this sort of thing could happen is if there was a massive power-surge, and that would result in maybe a couple of pole-tops catching fire, but not 40, because the fire, and most especially if a transformer blew up because of it, would break the circuit.

The only way that the scenario played in the MSM could happen is if the lines were neglected for a long time, and maybe one or two may have caught fire spontaneously.

Electric lines, both primary (carrier) and secondary (household and business circuits) are heavily insulated with a fire resistant material, they are very rarely left as open metal lines. Even transmission lines (very high voltage lines) are usually a minimum of 100 feet off the ground (and most often higher) are insulated against moisture.

I'm calling bunk on the the MSM reports.
edit on 12/10/2012 by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh because: spelling correctons

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Philosophile

That is a theory that is rooted more in possibility and reality than the crap that the MSM is spouting!

Next thing we know they will be claiming it was caused by fireworks.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This is a strange thread, at least to me.

The title talks about Texas, but the opening post has a link to a story that happened in Australia.

What am I missing.
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Here is a link to the original texas power pole thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
The link in the op is an example of a similar event to the one in texas.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by deadeyedick

Thanks, I was having that feeling when we start seeing a movie and half the plot has already been explained.
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

I don't see how dust can ignite...since when is it a fuel? I've never seen dust just take up in flame...saw dust maybe but not mineral dust...Dust can cause insulation overheating in computers and such where proper ventilation is hindered but that doesn't make sense in this instance.

If it really is just dust and salt...then why isn't this happening constantly all over Texas as a routine issue?? And if it is happening as commonly as something like that would imply....why is it on the NEWS? Why haven't they made the adjustments needed to prevent this issue from being so common?

A lot of the salt/dust excuse just doesn't make sense to me. Is the dust this year laced in kerosene or what?
edit on 10-12-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I was in Houston when hurricane Alicia hit. The next day i got out and saw the very top of a pole on fire. The fire dept was there among others just staring at it. They were waiting on the main power to be turned off apparently so they could put it out. It is not uncommon. How it happens i don't know but if i saw it in 1983 it is not part of some recent big conspiracy.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
I was in Houston when hurricane Alicia hit. The next day i got out and saw the very top of a pole on fire. The fire dept was there among others just staring at it. They were waiting on the main power to be turned off apparently so they could put it out. It is not uncommon. How it happens i don't know but if i saw it in 1983 it is not part of some recent big conspiracy.

One pole is different than 40 simultaneous poles.

I hope you realize this.

Someone should check CME readings from the sun and see if any solar activity correlates with the fires.
edit on 10-12-2012 by Laykilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec

That's pretty much what the op said. It has happened before in small numbers usually near the coast. It is an extremely random event that can not explain 30 to 40 poles burning at the same time.

It should be noted that build up causing these kinda fires being used as the cause is speculative at best because the evidence is burnt up or washed away...

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but what does one pole fire that is clearly explained in the story have to do with 40 simultaneous fires? How is this even thread-worthy?

We had a fire in a bin in our street last week, shall I start a thread about that?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Laykilla

Well i didn't check the other 4 million poles so it is likely there were more.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Laykilla

I had looked at Solar data the day of, before and days following, The sun was more less flat lined with a few Sunspots on the western Limb. The Kp index was a 1, solar winds and flux were all well within normal. This was not Solar related by any means.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Dust in its self can be flammable, and explosive if conditions are right. That why any grain elevator will have no smoking signs posted. I remember back in the 80's when one of the large elevators in the twin cities areas was engulfed in flames and exploded. Them Large Concrete grain silos are like rockets when they go off. I don't recall if it was a CHS or Cargill elevator, but it was caused from dust. I've seen dust cause fires in old buildings before. takes something fairly hot to ignite it under normal conditions, but it is possible.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pegasus2000
reply to post by Sly1one

Dust in its self can be flammable, and explosive if conditions are right. That why any grain elevator will have no smoking signs posted. I remember back in the 80's when one of the large elevators in the twin cities areas was engulfed in flames and exploded. Them Large Concrete grain silos are like rockets when they go off. I don't recall if it was a CHS or Cargill elevator, but it was caused from dust. I've seen dust cause fires in old buildings before. takes something fairly hot to ignite it under normal conditions, but it is possible.

This is true even for things like powdered sugar and flour.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join