It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival in a foreign country

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Okay, I normally don't believe in any 2012 scenarios and all that other crap, but I do believe that it's better to be prepared
for what could happen - wherever its war, economic collapse etc. So I decided to prepare.

There is a lot of literature on the net and here on the forum, yet my situation is a little bit different.
I am currently located in China, in a 15 million city, downtown. I know that if "disaster strikes" I have to get out of here
within several hours (I live alone here). Staying in the city won't be a good option.

My escape plan is:

1) Leave the city and head to a remote forrest
2) Wait a couple of days before heading North-West and reevaluate what to do.

I decided to spent a good amount off money in order to prepare my equipment. I expect to travel on foot. Everything needed has to
fit into a bag pack. Reaching that remote forrest will take up to 5 days by foot, so I am planning to have supplies lasting for at least 2 weeks.

Is there any checklist you would advise me to read? So far I am keeping the basic things:

1) appropriate clothes / camouflage (I am thinking of keeping it black)
2) Medication, water purification, anti-radiation tablets, etc
3) compass, knife, first aid, food, fire sticks, light-sticks, radio, heat blankets, flashlight, etc
4) basic medical literature, survival literature

Do you guys have any tips? The biggest problem is that I can't buy a gun here. I have almost one year of basic military training and basic survival skills. My bigest problem is that I dont speak chinese, so any communication, as well as information gathering is difficult. Are there any english speaking emergency frequencies that I could be able to pick up using a radio?

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Ouch... first off start learning to speak chinese - you will even find many chinese who speak english and will help with learning.. in china attitudes different than in the west ... during disasters the people work together and help each other out.. not a good idea for a foriegner to go running around china dressed all in black or fatigues - you could end up shot or in a chinese prison ... best recommendation is have supplies on hand and bug in far safer for both you and the chinese.. also if you have an android mobile there are some good translater apps that will help you communicate and learn the language.. hope post make sense is late and english not my native language..
edit on 8/12/12 by Expat888 because: correcting spelling.. english make head hurt ...
also during disasters in china the military is often among the first into an area to both render assistance along with maintain order so bugging out the way your thinking very very bad idea... stay put .. stay safe
edit on 8/12/12 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
It is good that you are preparing for disaster, If everyone was prepared to a certain extent than a disaster would be not as bad. If everyone had the mentality to use those stores to help their fellow man when an earthquake happened, where pulling together and helping each other is needed, than things would not be so critical. No man is an island, we need others. If everyone had foodstocks in New York, they could have shared their food with the people who were disrupted by sandy. If people kept five gallons of real gas in their garage and made sure they always had at least a half a tank of gas in their car, there wouldn't have been such a run on the pumps. We have made ourselves vulnerable to worse disasters by not being prepared. How would you like it if your neighbor was cooking steaks on his grill and you had no food because your food got ruined. When times get tough working as a community is the best thing. I see prepping as a way of serving my community. Those who will try to abuse my friendship will not succeed, someone who comes and asks me if they can help with something so they can have a meal will get their meal.

Keep prepping but remember that to stay human we need to be Humane. We need compassion. If something happens and we survive, we will have something to tell our grandchildren, a story that will be passed on for generations.

People are people, governments may differ but we are all somewhat the same. There are two kinds of people, one is compassionate and friendly and the other is self centered. Know your friends. By all means, learn to speak Chinese.
edit on 8-12-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I'm currently out of Europe in Asian lands.

I've got enough supplies to bug in for a week.
Accommodation is fairly secure.

Got a knife and pepper-spray, plus a few other things like my EDC FAK etc.

Travel light and loose, a few BOLs here and there.
We'll see how it goes...

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Expat888 makes some excellent points. Chinese officials may become very suspicious of a foreigner who seems to be hoarding supplies and preparing for some sort of covert paramilitary operation. You have chosen to live in China, get close to the community and follow their ways. China has been dealing with natural disasters for 5,000 years.

new topics

top topics

join